Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

I love my 2004 MAXX
By GypsieRose

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had been driving Saabs for years before I bought this Maxx. I had also owned Mercedes, Corvette, Tahoe, Cadillac and Chryslers. This Maxx is the perfect car for me at 62. I am 4ft 8in tall and the adjustable pedals and steering wheel afforded me to drive for the first time in many years without a cushion and being forced up against the steering wheel. The mileage on freeway is avg 37mpg! Great handling. Kick's butt when you punch it to pass, cruises at 70 like a dream. I love the hatchback for hauling stuff. All are comfortable in seats/roomy. The price was affordable. Next time I will get leather heated seats. I love the lines. Not one hiccup yet! I love this car!

Cockpit is very roomy. Easy to reach instruments. Heater is great in Wisconsin winter - fast. Love the adjustable steering and pedals. Like hatch deck. Hides things in trunk from view. Remote start is great. Great Stereo/CD. LIghted make up mirror is handy for me. Skylight in rear seats.

Too much torque for weight. When you punch it to pass has a tendency to fish-tail on front wh/drive. Back seats are curved so when you lay flat there is not a flat surface. Windows freeze shut easily. Should have atandard electric passenger seats. Shouldhave standard fog lamps.

I love my Maxx
By PJ

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When taking the speed higher I feel like I am in a jet! The ride is very smooth on and off the freeway. When I first purchased my Maxx I was the only one in town who had one so I had a lot of curious stares and questions about it. I have nothing but great things to say. The first time I drove it in a test drive I fell in love with it and no other automobile I tested could match its comfort or smooth drive.

The spaciousness, the gas milage on the freeway, and smooth drive.

Better gas mileage in town.

Versitle Car
By dec1010

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Change the seats and the steering and this would be an awesome and versitle family car. The driver's seat is very uncomfortable, and I have had four major steering repairs. The flexibility, leg room, and adaptability are the best I've seen on a car in a long time. I average 28 mpg overall in a large car with a 200 HP V6, which makes a family car economical and powerful enough to satisfy most people.

The adaptability and versitility make this very functional car. The Maxx has more leg room than my neighbor's Cadillac. The economy and power combination make for a nice car.

Revamp the steering, and greatly improve the seat comfort, and this would be a great car.

Great car for teens
By JwSugar

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a great car to carry things as well as people with good fuel economy. It has great pick up and can pass with ease. I drive 120 miles to work everyday and I never feel like I'm in a small car.

Get up and go!

Upholstery needs improvement. It claims to be leather interior, however, the inside portions are not, only the outer edges are.

Chevy's best secret!
By Kelley

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very well designed, I get nearly 40 MPG on the highway. All in all even around town using the factory installed remote start,over 25 miles per gallon! Electronic steering handles like a dream. Can't wait to get a new 2007!

MPG, remote start, heated seats, lots of room, elecctronic steering

Even more MPG?! As far as I can tell that car is close to perfect! Maybe a little suede/stain protection on the lighter seats.

• SUV