2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Great Alternative to SUV
By warden

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this vechicle to fill my need for a family vechicle which would could do some hauling. In the past, I had chosen a variety of SUVs & pickups to meet this need. Great vechicle for hauling people and stuff if you don't need 4wd. Fairly good mpg, lots of space, considerably cheaper than an SUV of similar size. Overall a great alternative to an SUV if you don't need 4wd. I chose this over a Equinox, Escape, CRV, Liberty, and several other small/mid-size suvs as it has almost as much space, is considerably cheaper, gets better MPG, and offers features (telescoping wheel and movable petals) that no one else has. I am 6'3" and my wife is 5' and we can both drive this car.

Favorite Features

Telescoping wheel and movable pedals, hatch back, adjustable rear cargo cover, engine, power seats, cargo capacity

Suggested Improvements

Lose the rear seat sun roofs, they are not very useful, and the covers on them pop open every time you hit a bump. Provide AWD, luggage rack, and sports tuned suspension options. Wider rear hatch opening.

Buy it with your eyes closed, so good
By Rajinder Goyal

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I just love this car. Packed with unbelievable features, it is a luxury at an affordable price.

Favorite Features

Driver Information Center, Traction control, electric steering wheel, remote starter, 6-CD changer, automatic temp control, heated front leather seats, and of course, the OnStar system. The list goes on.

Suggested Improvements

None

Great value in a fun little car.
By Maxx02360

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After a month of driving, I am really impressed with this little car. It handles well and is very responsive. I have the LT with heated leather seats, remote start, climate control, power sun-roof, 6 CD in dash stereo, DVD player, etc... Totally loaded. A 2004 leftover, I paid less than half of what I spent on my last car. I admit that the deal I was able to make had a lot to do with me buying this car. But, this car is a real sleeper. This is not a car the will impress your neighbors, unless they got to drive it. Anyway, I've already got the impressive car in the drive way. (Our other vehicle is a Yukon Denali XL.)

Favorite Features

I really like the responsiveness and handling. It is straight out fun to drive. Having the car all warmed up with the remote start is pretty good also. The kids would vote for the DVD and the recyling rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

An in dash CD player the doesn't sound so mechanical when changing CDs. But DON'T change the styling. I like the fact that this car is understated. The neighbors will think I'm humble. And now that I have humility, I've got everything!

Its All About Value
By Malibu Maxximum

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Wow. I have been driving 25 years and this car has been a very pleasant surprise. Solid. Peppy. Base V6 Maxx LS really is pretty loaded. My sister in law has 4 cylinder Camry. She spent $2500+ more, but got much less. Now if this car is as reliable as many of the recent GM makes, that would certainly make this car a steal.

Favorite Features

Split rear cargo area. Reclining / sliding rear seats. Rear moon roof. Miles to travel, temp, and mpg readout is pretty cool too. Adjustable pedals and telescoping steering wheel simply marvelous.

Suggested Improvements

The head rests were indeed bothersome. I quickly found a fix - on the first day I swapped the front and rear head rests. No more problem.

We Will See How Good It Is!!!
By Robert Lamason

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

So far the Malibu Max has been a good car to drive. It seems to have quite a bit of get up and go. The rear view is not so great, but it will do. The car rides good for a car. Priced right with the discounts and easy to deal with the dealership in my case as I will not hassel over price and I did not have to, which is one very good reason I liked the deal!!! Hope the car holds up well as I have not purchase a new car for many years.

Favorite Features

Good over all so far: about 2000 miles on it now.

Suggested Improvements

Rear vision is somewhat restricted!

All that wears a Bowtie...
By The Cap'n

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We purchased our Malibu Maxx after discovering it was a twin under the skin with the Saab 9-3 and the Vauxhall Vectra wagon, which we drove in the UK on vacation. There are a lot of sneaky neat features on this car, and while not a top of the line Mercedes, it is fun, manouverable, and a lot of car for the money. Worth a look.

Favorite Features

Remote start, hatch releases. The sneaky little map pocket on the front of the driver's seat. Cargo cover. Auto- headlites which can be overridden.

Suggested Improvements

Cloth seats could be a bit cushier, but they are comfy enough, even on road trips.

Will not buy again
By Craig

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven my Malibu for 7,500 miles now and if I could get out from under it without taking a bath it would be gone tomorrow. I drive 120 miles daily and this is the most uncomfortable car I have ever owned. The seat bases are far too short hitting me mid thigh and causing pain in my legs after only 20 minutes of driving. The electric power steering is a poor choice and needs more boost at highway speeds. An hour of driving and my hands are cramped. The suspension works great in town but on smooth blacktop it sets up a harmonic vibration at 45-65 mph that shakes the entire car...very poorly designed. Tranny does not shift into high without letting off the gas.

Suggested Improvements

Start over with a clean sheet of paper.

Great Car
By rwa000

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have always had either large vehicles or sports cars , this vehicle fits both of our needs and is fun to drive. We did have a problem with the head rests but all you have to do is take them out and turn them around, very comfortable and pretty fast

Favorite Features

Tilt, Power pedals , Cargo space and preety quick, reached 125 mph with no problem

Suggested Improvements

better stereo and larger wheels

Malibu Maxx
By GBahnUT

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is a nice design with many great features. The build quality is suspect since it has numerous rattles all over.

Favorite Features

Sliding rear seats. Hatchback design.

Suggested Improvements

Build better. Most of us hate rattles, especially in a car on which we spent more than $25K.

Great vehicle
By Frank Hemphill

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car for my wife...she loves it, and so do I. It has all the bells and whistles including a DVD.

Favorite Features

Sun roof and DVD