Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Maxx
By DeSanto

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle rides well and has plenty of leg room in the front as well as the rear. Handles well and I feel the ride is very good. The heated seats are a plus on cold days. The automatic start should be standard on all cars, as it is extremily convenient. The only thing is the hatchback closing. You have to excert force to make sure it is latched. The computerize display is really good, but the back lighting could be improved, not very bright. All in all I consider it one of the better cars I have owned.

Heated seats. Automatic start. Computer display

Computer display lighting

Must have stood in the lemon line
By Mike of Va.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the style, handling, and fuel mileage[30.9] but I've had nothing but trouble with it. Pedals wouldn't move up or down. Fuel cap light on. Transmission chain adjusted? Rear hatch release didn't have safety pull on it and latch wouldn't release. Some type of poping noise when making slow turns. And now with 111,816 miles on it, the transmission has failed. If you are wondering I take care of my stuff so no jackrabbit starts or pulling/pushing with this car.

Satisfied
By loretta murphy

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased my car new it has given me many miles of satisfaction. I enjoy using it as a "truck" as well as an automobile. The interior design is very easy for accessiblity. Also like the glass in the rear roof with the retractable shades. Great for the grandchildren.

Auto headlights on and off, flexibility of hatchback shelf, all the plug in outlets, especially in the trunk for using an air compressor for inflating floats, air mattresses, etc.

Cannot think of anything I would change.

Value of the Century - SUV Killer!
By skibumaxx

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It holds a ton of stuff and has amazing room in the back. I love the power, but the in- town mileage is not so hot. Highway mileage is outstanding for its size and capacity. I have tinted windows and they are a must or this car would be an oven in the summer. You can tell that the body is very stiff, by the way you can hear a bump more than you feel it. We looked at small SUV's but this is a far better choice. I'm not crazy about the front styling but the side and rear views are unique and attractive. With 2 small kids and a big dog, it's just right!

Remote start in the winter. A ton of thoughtful features for the price. GM has not supported this car with advertising, so you don't see them everywhere like a Honda or Toyota. I feel like I'm a member of an exclusive club.

Electric steering is a bit weird. Torque steer is excessive. Recliner handles in the back are very fragile. Could use more gears in the tranny.

The Malibu Maxx is underrated!
By Eric

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my Malibu Maxx for almost 4 years now. I live in the Buffalo, NY area so I'm used to driving in poor weather. This car did excellent in the bad weather. Also the features in this car are unbeatable. Cruise control, remote start, heated seats, OnStar, XM radio, adjustable pedals, front and side air bags, traction control, 6 cd changer, car information computer, power sunroof, 30 MPG. The best part, not one thing went wrong in the time I have had it! Flawless! This car is a sleeper for sure!

Heated seats, XM radio, remote start, great sound system, good on gas, 30 MPG

Build more of these great cars. I do not work for Chevrolet or GM. I am just a satisfied customer!