2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Grandma Car
By Matthew on 08/18/05 22:56 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is okay for packing kids or if you are looking for a SUV alternative, but as far as fun and eye stopping, no way. My friends ask me why I bought such a Grandma car. Well at the time I had no other choice the car I had was way too small and this was all they had. Now I wish everyday I would have kept my old car. I have had the power steering worked on twice. Once it went out while driving on the interstate. A new gas tank for unexplainable dents from the dealer, and when you go over bumps it sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it.

GM got it right
By tallmug on 08/05/05 21:09 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior of this car is excellent and very functional. My family of four fits great. The leg room in the back seat is great. I was tired of my daughter in her car seat kicking the back of my seat in our Saab. I used the car to transport an enormous amount of junk the other day, and it fit wonderfully. The only complaint is the plastic interior materials need to be of a little higher quality.

What A neat car
By LaneN on 07/29/05 15:19 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is one year old. No problems at all. Have made two vacation trips, amazing but true; 34 MPG highway, loaded with luggage etc. Runs at 70 MPH plus like a charm. Rides as good or better them my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Love that movable rear seat. People ask me about this car because it looks so neat. Wish I had purchased the step up model. When this one reachs about 12,000 miles will get a more up scale model, leather, etc. This one has a sun roof that is fun to use. More people should check this car out before buying other family size cars. Again, great car, great mileage. I'm lovin' it.

So pleasantly surprised!
By JM in Jax FL on 07/20/05 08:05 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '04 Camry a year ago - it was stolen (a story for another time!) and needed a new car. Avoided Toyota (most frequently stolen) and bought the Maxx instead - drives better than the Camry did, and for about the same money got leather interior, amazing flexibility of rear seat/cargo configuration. I was fortunate to find a brand-new '04 (identical to the '05) and got better than employee discount price. The Malibu Maxx isn't flashy - but like Camry, Accord, etc. it may soon be seen by consumers as a "best in class" family vehicle. Drive is smooth, easy. Love the remote start feature. Very comfortable for a family of five.

Maxxed Out
By maxxowner48301 on 06/29/05 15:21 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu Maxx. It is the first car I have ever purchased, and one of the best decisions I have made. After 1 year and 20,000 miles, I have not had one problem with the car. The car has great pickup, even at highway speeds. I have had it up around 120mph, and the car didn't rattle or feel like it was going to fall apart at all. It was very smooth and comfortable. I would tell everyone to get a Maxx, except that then the market would be flooded with them lowering my value. The Maxx will begin the resurgence of General Motors.

Enjoyable
By Kristine on 06/29/05 08:58 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Maxx for over a year. I love the power and on a 3000 mile road trip the mileage was as good as my old Honda Accord. Overall it's a great car. I think I would've gotten a better deal if I'd waited until it was on the market a while longer. Minor problems include the rear sunshades snapping, rear passenger window 'bumping' when you open it, and the front passenger often hits the heat button for the seat on entry (not fun in the summer). Occasional hesitation on start up happened a lot at first (the dealer claimed it's Chevy thing) and a recent problem with the wipers.

Great Product, GM is doing it right!
By Joe M on 05/26/05 17:16 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is a great car. Smooth ride, comfortable, and quick with great mileage, Much better than the imports I drove. Why would any one consider a forigen car? This car is really a winner. I drive 75 miles each day to and from work, and I enjoy the drive.

Good All Around Car
By rajman on 04/05/05 15:23 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the car my wife, not me, wanted. It has turned out to be an excellent car. It got 30 mpg avg on a 700 mile road trip and usually does about 24mpg in town. This is with the V6 engine with plenty of power. It also has lots of interior room whether for storage or passengers. We were thinking about a small SUV for our family and switched to a Maxx because its a much better value than a SUV. The back seat is huge. It is not as quiet as some in its class, but it is hardly loud. Handling is super for a family car, though the electric steering takes some getting used to. I've found that the electric steering really reduces fatigue on long drives, though.

Hits most of the high notes
By Mark on 02/12/05 20:40 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted to junk the SUV but didn't want to give up on versitility. The Maxx was a perfect compromise. Easy access to the rear, thanks to the wide doors and movable rear seats, and the cargo area has plenty of room - I even stowed a 7'-0" Christmas tree with my toddler in the back seat and my wife in the front seat - with the hatch down!!! The car handles well but I kinda miss the turning radius of the SUV. I thought I'd feel uncomfortable sitting lower but not at all - now I can get out of the way faster... Overall, I'm very pleased, and as a friend of mine said - I can't beleive this is a Chevy....

Love This Car
By GrandMaxx on 02/12/05 13:24 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Am a "mature" woman & love the sporty look. People are always asking "what car is that?" Handles well and have taken several short trips (300miles) and me & a passenger have been comfortable. Love the hatchback-lots of room and easy to load & unload. Headrests are a bother-rearview obstructed-will try switching with back ones as someone has suggested. Fold down rear & passenger seat a plus. My son & daughter even enjoy driving it!