Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu-maxx - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Must have stood in the lemon line
By Mike of Va.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the style, handling, and fuel mileage[30.9] but I've had nothing but trouble with it. Pedals wouldn't move up or down. Fuel cap light on. Transmission chain adjusted? Rear hatch release didn't have safety pull on it and latch wouldn't release. Some type of poping noise when making slow turns. And now with 111,816 miles on it, the transmission has failed. If you are wondering I take care of my stuff so no jackrabbit starts or pulling/pushing with this car.

Satisfied
By loretta murphy

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased my car new it has given me many miles of satisfaction. I enjoy using it as a "truck" as well as an automobile. The interior design is very easy for accessiblity. Also like the glass in the rear roof with the retractable shades. Great for the grandchildren.

Favorite Features

Auto headlights on and off, flexibility of hatchback shelf, all the plug in outlets, especially in the trunk for using an air compressor for inflating floats, air mattresses, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Cannot think of anything I would change.

Value of the Century - SUV Killer!
By skibumaxx

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It holds a ton of stuff and has amazing room in the back. I love the power, but the in- town mileage is not so hot. Highway mileage is outstanding for its size and capacity. I have tinted windows and they are a must or this car would be an oven in the summer. You can tell that the body is very stiff, by the way you can hear a bump more than you feel it. We looked at small SUV's but this is a far better choice. I'm not crazy about the front styling but the side and rear views are unique and attractive. With 2 small kids and a big dog, it's just right!

Favorite Features

Remote start in the winter. A ton of thoughtful features for the price. GM has not supported this car with advertising, so you don't see them everywhere like a Honda or Toyota. I feel like I'm a member of an exclusive club.

Suggested Improvements

Electric steering is a bit weird. Torque steer is excessive. Recliner handles in the back are very fragile. Could use more gears in the tranny.

The Malibu Maxx is underrated!
By Eric

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my Malibu Maxx for almost 4 years now. I live in the Buffalo, NY area so I'm used to driving in poor weather. This car did excellent in the bad weather. Also the features in this car are unbeatable. Cruise control, remote start, heated seats, OnStar, XM radio, adjustable pedals, front and side air bags, traction control, 6 cd changer, car information computer, power sunroof, 30 MPG. The best part, not one thing went wrong in the time I have had it! Flawless! This car is a sleeper for sure!

Favorite Features

Heated seats, XM radio, remote start, great sound system, good on gas, 30 MPG

Suggested Improvements

Build more of these great cars. I do not work for Chevrolet or GM. I am just a satisfied customer!

I love my 2004 MAXX
By GypsieRose

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had been driving Saabs for years before I bought this Maxx. I had also owned Mercedes, Corvette, Tahoe, Cadillac and Chryslers. This Maxx is the perfect car for me at 62. I am 4ft 8in tall and the adjustable pedals and steering wheel afforded me to drive for the first time in many years without a cushion and being forced up against the steering wheel. The mileage on freeway is avg 37mpg! Great handling. Kick's butt when you punch it to pass, cruises at 70 like a dream. I love the hatchback for hauling stuff. All are comfortable in seats/roomy. The price was affordable. Next time I will get leather heated seats. I love the lines. Not one hiccup yet! I love this car!

Favorite Features

Cockpit is very roomy. Easy to reach instruments. Heater is great in Wisconsin winter - fast. Love the adjustable steering and pedals. Like hatch deck. Hides things in trunk from view. Remote start is great. Great Stereo/CD. LIghted make up mirror is handy for me. Skylight in rear seats.

Suggested Improvements

Too much torque for weight. When you punch it to pass has a tendency to fish-tail on front wh/drive. Back seats are curved so when you lay flat there is not a flat surface. Windows freeze shut easily. Should have atandard electric passenger seats. Shouldhave standard fog lamps.