2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Watch Out for Safety Issues
By Stout on 04/11/06 08:23 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this vehicle in the shop 10 times in last year. Rear hatch leaked and took two trips to repair. Front seat broke due to faulty seat metal. Now the steering has major issues that Chevy says their aware of but can't fixed. Mine locked up from stop position with wheels turned to right. During right turns your driver's side front end sounds like it is coming out the hood and floor board. Steering makes terrible sounds while turning. Braking at 50 mph and above the vehicle front end shakes violently. I have paper from GM service that brakes are OK. Don't by this car used. It is unsafe.

A reliable SAAB for the rest of us
By Hank Ryan on 03/16/06 18:25 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We've had our Maxx for 14 months and 14,000 miles. It has exceeded my high expectations. The car is well- designed and, except for its truck front grill (an example of what's wrong, and who should be fired, at GM), well-styled. The build quality is excellent --- proof that GM autoworkers in Kansas are as good as those working in Japanese-brand plants in other parts of the USA. If this car had a Honda or Toyota badge, it would probably be the best-selling passenger car in the USA. Of course, we don't know how it will stack up against a used 2004 Accord or Camry in five years. So far, it looks like it can compete with them on TCO.

Love this car
By SnowCat on 02/23/06 11:21 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My girlfriend at work had bought one, and after sitting in every single sedan on the market ever made for the 2002 model year with my Mother, I went down and bought one. I have not been dissapointed. I have a loaded LT. The cargo carring is great, road trips are not bad - NYC -> Chicago in a blizzard with 4 adults and one little white dog & loaded to the gills with luggage. Trip wasn't bad, and got 32MPG in all that. Wish it had a 5 speed & a better generation Traction control (Hubby has a '00 BMW 528, his is *nice*) but other than that - she's great.

Maxxy is a gem
By Sean 418 on 01/30/06 23:44 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is an excellent car. I really purchased it for my parents. It was for Mother's day. It was a 2004 leftover. There were quite a few. What a shame they are not selling.If they were labeled "Toyota, Nissan, Honda or Hyundai they would be flying out of the dealers lots. Great performing car. First car I have had with a dvd player which hardly gets used. Love the visiablity. Great buy. I highly recommend this car. It is my 2nd Malibu. Love the sun roof and vista roof . Its like a old Olds Vista Cruiser. Wish I had the Sirius instead of XM. Like the information center. Hatchback is useful. Excellent buy

Best car I've ever owned
By Larry on 01/13/06 14:02 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm 78 an owned many cars in my lifetime. This is the best handling car ever. I love the tracking, all the mechanical and innovative features, especially the remote start in the winter and in the summer. It heats the car quickly in wintertime and cools it down in the hot summer days as well. The wide opening doors were helpful in the back to assist my wife (who had alzheimers) to get in the car. Just a great car!

Great Vehicle
By GM BELIEVER on 01/03/06 14:02 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Why aren't there more on the road? This car offers you everything for a reasonable price. I have the top of the line LT and can not think of an option that I still would want; heated seats, tilt & telescoping steering wheel, remote start (which I can never live without again!) power moonroof, etc. It has plenty of pep and handles and rides great. It has enough cargo room to move a student to college. The only gripes are the intrusive "A" pillars and lousy OEM tires and brake rotors. Other than that, people are missing out on the Maxx revolution!

I was robbed by GM.
By Kim on 01/02/06 13:33 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My husband talked me into getting this car. What a nightmare! I have to take it to the dealership for warranty work about once per month. There is something loose in the dashboard. Twice the rotors had to be resurfaced. The brakes still drag. Power steering only functions about half of the time. Service does not know why. Sunroof leaks. Squeeks and rattles everywhere. The roadnoise is deaftening. Starter keeps turning over after car has started. It drives like a 5 year old car. The only reason that I keep the thing is the $8000 difference between what I owe and trade in value. If I can find an aggressive dealership, I will unload this lime ASAP.

More than a Econobox
By Toyota&Honda Owner, on 12/01/05 15:13 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Malibu Maxx was a complete surprise to me. My prior experience with GM rental cars was terrible. The Maxx combines a good blend of features, performance, fit and finish, reliability, and flexibility in a compact package. My initial attraction was 0% financing, but after 12000 miles I can recommend the Maxx for your daily driving needs. My car has zero defects and repairs. The chassis is stiff, and the Maxx handles well. There is plenty of low-end torque for a little fun in an econo-box. The rear passenger room is enormous. My sons said that they like the car because it is “little on the outside and big on the inside.”

Love it, love it
By Maxxfan on 10/24/05 00:44 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very adaptable for whatever use you need at the time. Much more space to pack things in than you first think. Very smooth and pretty fuel efficient for 6 cylinders. GM has come a long way and has greatly surpassed all other N. American manufacturers. Tougher times for Ford and Chrysler

Great car !
By Rob O on 08/21/05 18:47 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my fully loaded Olds Intrigue which was totaled last year.I decided to buy a loaded out Maxx for the family which my wife now drives everywhere, and I get to drive her old car (Alero.)This car had some very big shoes to fill and has done so very well.