2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Even used, a great car
By Maxx man on 02/10/09 11:05 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the 2004 Maxx with about 34,000 miles and actually have put less than average mileage since. However, the car continues to please with excellent performance, amazing mileage for a 6 cyl engine and good interior ergonomics. The front end design is the primary downside; the new Chevy front end styling (see 2008 Malibu) would really set this car off. I'll be in need of a new car soon (this one's my wife's) so I wish Chevy would wise up and produce the Maxx for the current Malibu lineup.

Don't Waste Your Money!
By Jon Sarver on 01/22/09 21:21 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car has been a lemon. It has 62,000 miles on it and we have had the water pump go out, a fuel pump fail, the real view mirror falls off, the back seat breaks. The interior is fraying and has been since 30,000 miles. The gas mileage is good on the open highway, but less than 18 miles per gallon in the city. The GM President admitted that the company cut corners the last several years in production. This car is a perfect example of numerous corners that have been comprormised to pay for expensive union health car and retirement.

Great buy!
By hawkfan-man on 10/14/08 08:49 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car in Apr '05 as a left over '04 model. Got a great price on a vehicle loaded with features. Car has been trouble free and still looks and runs like new as we aproach 45000 miles. We couldn't be happier.

Disappointed
By Bob on 07/09/08 04:21 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in '04. After 1 year, it started to give me all kinds of problems... steering noises, suspension, brakes, you name it! Recently I needed a ball joint. Apparently a $50.00 replacement couldn't be found! It was also discontinued. A replacement cost me $300. I drive about 24,000 miles per year, not hard miles though. Can't wait to get rid of it.

Maxx
By DeSanto on 01/21/08 05:01 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle rides well and has plenty of leg room in the front as well as the rear. Handles well and I feel the ride is very good. The heated seats are a plus on cold days. The automatic start should be standard on all cars, as it is extremily convenient. The only thing is the hatchback closing. You have to excert force to make sure it is latched. The computerize display is really good, but the back lighting could be improved, not very bright. All in all I consider it one of the better cars I have owned.

Must have stood in the lemon line
By Mike of Va. on 09/12/07 19:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love the style, handling, and fuel mileage[30.9] but I've had nothing but trouble with it. Pedals wouldn't move up or down. Fuel cap light on. Transmission chain adjusted? Rear hatch release didn't have safety pull on it and latch wouldn't release. Some type of poping noise when making slow turns. And now with 111,816 miles on it, the transmission has failed. If you are wondering I take care of my stuff so no jackrabbit starts or pulling/pushing with this car.

Satisfied
By loretta murphy on 06/28/07 18:08 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since I purchased my car new it has given me many miles of satisfaction. I enjoy using it as a "truck" as well as an automobile. The interior design is very easy for accessiblity. Also like the glass in the rear roof with the retractable shades. Great for the grandchildren.

Value of the Century - SUV Killer!
By skibumaxx on 04/17/07 08:28 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It holds a ton of stuff and has amazing room in the back. I love the power, but the in- town mileage is not so hot. Highway mileage is outstanding for its size and capacity. I have tinted windows and they are a must or this car would be an oven in the summer. You can tell that the body is very stiff, by the way you can hear a bump more than you feel it. We looked at small SUV's but this is a far better choice. I'm not crazy about the front styling but the side and rear views are unique and attractive. With 2 small kids and a big dog, it's just right!

The Malibu Maxx is underrated!
By Eric on 04/11/07 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been driving my Malibu Maxx for almost 4 years now. I live in the Buffalo, NY area so I'm used to driving in poor weather. This car did excellent in the bad weather. Also the features in this car are unbeatable. Cruise control, remote start, heated seats, OnStar, XM radio, adjustable pedals, front and side air bags, traction control, 6 cd changer, car information computer, power sunroof, 30 MPG. The best part, not one thing went wrong in the time I have had it! Flawless! This car is a sleeper for sure!

I love my 2004 MAXX
By GypsieRose on 01/17/07 22:12 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had been driving Saabs for years before I bought this Maxx. I had also owned Mercedes, Corvette, Tahoe, Cadillac and Chryslers. This Maxx is the perfect car for me at 62. I am 4ft 8in tall and the adjustable pedals and steering wheel afforded me to drive for the first time in many years without a cushion and being forced up against the steering wheel. The mileage on freeway is avg 37mpg! Great handling. Kick's butt when you punch it to pass, cruises at 70 like a dream. I love the hatchback for hauling stuff. All are comfortable in seats/roomy. The price was affordable. Next time I will get leather heated seats. I love the lines. Not one hiccup yet! I love this car!