Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Excellent car
By Excellent

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have this car since jan 2004, I never had any serious problem, the mileage per gallon is excellent. I drove this car at 60 miles per hour on a wet snow condition, the traction control were impressive, never swerved.

Safety features such as traction control is paramount, miles per gallon both highway and city street are excellent.

Longevity is Not its Strong Suit
By Maxx02360

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the car when I first purchased it; see my review in 12/04. But the car definitely has some quality issues. At 80,000 miles, I have replaced the steering column twice. Yes, the steering column! When it goes, it is almost dangerous to drive. I've also replaced the front bearings, the intake manifold, and the DVD system. The remote starter doesn't work anymore. Currently, my CD's are stuck in the audio system and wont play or eject. I took very good care of this car with the plan of giving it to my daughter, and while it still looks good, and my daughter loves driving it, it unfortunately has real quality issues.

Fun to drive. Handles Well.

"LEMON"
By Hoosier

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used, 23K miles...had factory warranty remaining. Complete brake job (w/rotors)...steering clunking noise..."gremlins" in the car. Drove 124 miles saw temperature reading at Cold. Replaced thermostat, sender, rad. cap. Left front turn signal pigtail replaced, still having problems and right signal. Replaced remote start...still having problems. Replaced starter, still having problems trying to start. I have seen and spoke to others about car having similar or premature failures or not. I believe its main computer board failure...like brain failure. Some times it works and others!! These are not consumer problems...they are manufacturing problems (LEMONS). Fuel mileage ???

DVD works great...cute car (nostalgic). Gadget features (fuel econ, ect.) are useful (if correct).

GM/Chevrolet do whats right...correct the "gremlins" at 5k or 80k miles. Steering clunk, signal, right sunvisor, premature component failures, brakes, recalculate mileage instruments.

Great Car
By Ed

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the car new since Feb. 2004. Have very few mechanical issues and have loved everything about it. Very comfortable road car and great power for a 6 cyl. MPG has been great, take it on road trips often and the AVG. MPG is almost 31 in and out of town (I don't reset the avg very often. Actually tried buying another new one two years ago but for some reason GM doesn't build them any more. Great family vehicle for the kids, and with the hatch and fold down seats (front and rear) turns into a "truck" when I need one. Only issue I have had is with the electronic steering (Saab) and have had it repaired.

Ride, comfort, 31 MPG, versatility to convert into a "truck" with the hatch and fold down seats. Rear passengers love the rear glass roof.

None

Love my Maxx
By Rose

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 7,000 miles on it as a dealer demo. Love the style, has tons of space and great gas mileage for a large sedan (34 highway, 27 city). There was a recall on the steering, but was fixed. I have 68,000 miles on it and the suspension is now noisy. I've had the brakes redone, but I drive a lot of hills. I would buy another, but GM is not making the hatchback Maxx model any longer.

Interior room, hatchback model (for my dog), heated seats, remote start, and the gas mileage.

Improve the suspension and brakes.