Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Enjoyable
By Kristine

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Maxx for over a year. I love the power and on a 3000 mile road trip the mileage was as good as my old Honda Accord. Overall it's a great car. I think I would've gotten a better deal if I'd waited until it was on the market a while longer. Minor problems include the rear sunshades snapping, rear passenger window 'bumping' when you open it, and the front passenger often hits the heat button for the seat on entry (not fun in the summer). Occasional hesitation on start up happened a lot at first (the dealer claimed it's Chevy thing) and a recent problem with the wipers.

Adjustable pedals, rear sunroofs, DVD. I love the heated seats and remote start

Add a rear wiper and better quaility control at the factory. The dealer telling me the hesitating start is a 'Chevy thing" was a little disturbing when you just spent $25K.

Great Product, GM is doing it right!
By Joe M

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is a great car. Smooth ride, comfortable, and quick with great mileage, Much better than the imports I drove. Why would any one consider a forigen car? This car is really a winner. I drive 75 miles each day to and from work, and I enjoy the drive.

Love the power of the 6 cylinder. Love the ride, smooth and quiet. Great for travel.

I only wish the back seats folded flat, but this isn't a real problem.

Good All Around Car
By rajman

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the car my wife, not me, wanted. It has turned out to be an excellent car. It got 30 mpg avg on a 700 mile road trip and usually does about 24mpg in town. This is with the V6 engine with plenty of power. It also has lots of interior room whether for storage or passengers. We were thinking about a small SUV for our family and switched to a Maxx because its a much better value than a SUV. The back seat is huge. It is not as quiet as some in its class, but it is hardly loud. Handling is super for a family car, though the electric steering takes some getting used to. I've found that the electric steering really reduces fatigue on long drives, though.

The engine -- I'm a fan of the GM small-block. Its combination of power and mileage is hard to beat. The little bit of extra noise is well worth it. The very adjustable seats. It fit my wife better than anything else (she's pretty short) but has plenty of adjustment for much taller drivers.

Don't get the satellite radio from the dealer. Satellite is great - I'm hooked on it - but you'll want to buy it separately, so you can take it out of the car. Chevy dealer service leaves a little to be desired -- if only Saturn sold these cars It'd be great.

Hits most of the high notes
By Mark

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I wanted to junk the SUV but didn't want to give up on versitility. The Maxx was a perfect compromise. Easy access to the rear, thanks to the wide doors and movable rear seats, and the cargo area has plenty of room - I even stowed a 7'-0" Christmas tree with my toddler in the back seat and my wife in the front seat - with the hatch down!!! The car handles well but I kinda miss the turning radius of the SUV. I thought I'd feel uncomfortable sitting lower but not at all - now I can get out of the way faster... Overall, I'm very pleased, and as a friend of mine said - I can't beleive this is a Chevy....

Hatchback, Climate Control, Auto Headlights, Driver Information Center, Rear Legroom/Access, Rear Sunroof (my toddler loves this feature), Leather

Seats could be improved - too hard, offer the rear window wiper a stand alone option, offer a roof rack option

Love This Car
By GrandMaxx

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Am a "mature" woman & love the sporty look. People are always asking "what car is that?" Handles well and have taken several short trips (300miles) and me & a passenger have been comfortable. Love the hatchback-lots of room and easy to load & unload. Headrests are a bother-rearview obstructed-will try switching with back ones as someone has suggested. Fold down rear & passenger seat a plus. My son & daughter even enjoy driving it!

Remote start. Hatchback space. Handles great. Economy.Moon roof in back. Adjustable rear seats. DVD controls in back. Cruise control on steering wheel. Adjustable pedals. Tele. steering wheel. Can you tell I am really happy with this car? Hope it holds up well.

Shades on moonroof are the pits. Keep snapping open-scared me at first. Some wind noise. Trunk hard to close, especially for a short person.