Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 146 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Great car !
By Rob O

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my fully loaded Olds Intrigue which was totaled last year.I decided to buy a loaded out Maxx for the family which my wife now drives everywhere, and I get to drive her old car (Alero.)This car had some very big shoes to fill and has done so very well.

Hatchback, great Saab suspension. Smooth and powerful.

More agressive styling. Still looks cool anyway. Better exhaust note. You do get used to it though.

Grandma Car
By Matthew

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is okay for packing kids or if you are looking for a SUV alternative, but as far as fun and eye stopping, no way. My friends ask me why I bought such a Grandma car. Well at the time I had no other choice the car I had was way too small and this was all they had. Now I wish everyday I would have kept my old car. I have had the power steering worked on twice. Once it went out while driving on the interstate. A new gas tank for unexplainable dents from the dealer, and when you go over bumps it sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it.

Roomy and good horsepower

Redesign it to give it a more youthful look.(if possible)

GM got it right
By tallmug

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior of this car is excellent and very functional. My family of four fits great. The leg room in the back seat is great. I was tired of my daughter in her car seat kicking the back of my seat in our Saab. I used the car to transport an enormous amount of junk the other day, and it fit wonderfully. The only complaint is the plastic interior materials need to be of a little higher quality.

Large back seat with plenty of leg room.

Make the interior plastic pieces of better quality.

What A neat car
By LaneN

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is one year old. No problems at all. Have made two vacation trips, amazing but true; 34 MPG highway, loaded with luggage etc. Runs at 70 MPH plus like a charm. Rides as good or better them my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Love that movable rear seat. People ask me about this car because it looks so neat. Wish I had purchased the step up model. When this one reachs about 12,000 miles will get a more up scale model, leather, etc. This one has a sun roof that is fun to use. More people should check this car out before buying other family size cars. Again, great car, great mileage. I'm lovin' it.

Movable rear seat. Great mileage. Neat looking. Can hold more luggage then you may think. Real power point.

Better Tires. A side Chevy bowtire emblem would be neat.

So pleasantly surprised!
By JM in Jax FL

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '04 Camry a year ago - it was stolen (a story for another time!) and needed a new car. Avoided Toyota (most frequently stolen) and bought the Maxx instead - drives better than the Camry did, and for about the same money got leather interior, amazing flexibility of rear seat/cargo configuration. I was fortunate to find a brand-new '04 (identical to the '05) and got better than employee discount price. The Malibu Maxx isn't flashy - but like Camry, Accord, etc. it may soon be seen by consumers as a "best in class" family vehicle. Drive is smooth, easy. Love the remote start feature. Very comfortable for a family of five.

Leather interior/interior comfort. Peppy V-6. Flexibility of rear seat (slides up/back, reclines, folds flat for cargo). Side & front air bags, ABS included in price (options on Toyota!). Holds almost as much cargo as a minivan. Great value for the money.

Styling a little ho-hum. Drive could be "sportier." These would be minor fine-tunes to a great family car.