Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Grandma Car
By Matthew

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is okay for packing kids or if you are looking for a SUV alternative, but as far as fun and eye stopping, no way. My friends ask me why I bought such a Grandma car. Well at the time I had no other choice the car I had was way too small and this was all they had. Now I wish everyday I would have kept my old car. I have had the power steering worked on twice. Once it went out while driving on the interstate. A new gas tank for unexplainable dents from the dealer, and when you go over bumps it sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it.

Favorite Features

Roomy and good horsepower

Suggested Improvements

Redesign it to give it a more youthful look.(if possible)

GM got it right
By tallmug

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior of this car is excellent and very functional. My family of four fits great. The leg room in the back seat is great. I was tired of my daughter in her car seat kicking the back of my seat in our Saab. I used the car to transport an enormous amount of junk the other day, and it fit wonderfully. The only complaint is the plastic interior materials need to be of a little higher quality.

Favorite Features

Large back seat with plenty of leg room.

Suggested Improvements

Make the interior plastic pieces of better quality.

What A neat car
By LaneN

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is one year old. No problems at all. Have made two vacation trips, amazing but true; 34 MPG highway, loaded with luggage etc. Runs at 70 MPH plus like a charm. Rides as good or better them my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Love that movable rear seat. People ask me about this car because it looks so neat. Wish I had purchased the step up model. When this one reachs about 12,000 miles will get a more up scale model, leather, etc. This one has a sun roof that is fun to use. More people should check this car out before buying other family size cars. Again, great car, great mileage. I'm lovin' it.

Favorite Features

Movable rear seat. Great mileage. Neat looking. Can hold more luggage then you may think. Real power point.

Suggested Improvements

Better Tires. A side Chevy bowtire emblem would be neat.

So pleasantly surprised!
By JM in Jax FL

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '04 Camry a year ago - it was stolen (a story for another time!) and needed a new car. Avoided Toyota (most frequently stolen) and bought the Maxx instead - drives better than the Camry did, and for about the same money got leather interior, amazing flexibility of rear seat/cargo configuration. I was fortunate to find a brand-new '04 (identical to the '05) and got better than employee discount price. The Malibu Maxx isn't flashy - but like Camry, Accord, etc. it may soon be seen by consumers as a "best in class" family vehicle. Drive is smooth, easy. Love the remote start feature. Very comfortable for a family of five.

Favorite Features

Leather interior/interior comfort. Peppy V-6. Flexibility of rear seat (slides up/back, reclines, folds flat for cargo). Side & front air bags, ABS included in price (options on Toyota!). Holds almost as much cargo as a minivan. Great value for the money.

Suggested Improvements

Styling a little ho-hum. Drive could be "sportier." These would be minor fine-tunes to a great family car.

Maxxed Out
By maxxowner48301

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu Maxx. It is the first car I have ever purchased, and one of the best decisions I have made. After 1 year and 20,000 miles, I have not had one problem with the car. The car has great pickup, even at highway speeds. I have had it up around 120mph, and the car didn't rattle or feel like it was going to fall apart at all. It was very smooth and comfortable. I would tell everyone to get a Maxx, except that then the market would be flooded with them lowering my value. The Maxx will begin the resurgence of General Motors.

Favorite Features

Electric power steering, and horsepower

Suggested Improvements

Integration of the Onstar/XM/Radio antennas into one unit on the cars centerline. I would also make a rear wiper standard (it wasn't an option on my 2004 model), I would also then retrofit all 2004 models with a free rear wiper.