2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Bring it Back
By daisydal14

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and only have 93,000 miles on it. I have been hit once in the left rear quarter panel and had it repaired back to new! I was getting 37mpg on the freeway for the first few yeas but I am still getting 35mpg today. In town is not so great. I absolutely love this car! I really enjoy driving it either around town or on the freeway. Still has great acceleration. Have only replaced thermostat, serpentine belt and brakes and a spring. Muffler has a small hole in it which is not surprising - in Wisconsin. Everything still works (knock on wood). The remote fob broke but I am getting it fixed at a jewelers as it needs to be soldered.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are elect. seat, and adjustable steering wheel. Making the pedals adjustable was brilliant!! I am very short and this is the first car I have owned that I don't have to have cushions under and behind me to drive. I love that the rear seat reclines and also goes back and forth. The dash is very well laid out and everything is easy to see and reach. I am sorry that GM decided not to make this car after 2007-8. The body design is still up to date in my estimation - it's a beautiful little car. Everyone I know that has one (the LS) are proud to tell you what a great car it is.

Suggested Improvements

No point - not made anymore. Too bad it was a very well designed car.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS
By aundy28570

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just brought this car with 151000 miles. Little high but figured if previous owner kept up maintenance like they said then would be ok for a little while considering seemed to be a reasonable deal. Had for 5 days and already to dealership to find out multiple problems. After reading reviews some of these should be recalled such as power steering gear, serp belt needs replacing, remote intermittently works and few times problems with starting. Other problems include replacing oil pan gasket and side mirror switch. I am so dissapointed and to make matters worse the dealership is really high on labor. The mirrors and remote key is not a big issue but the other problems can be safety concerns!!!

Favorite Features

Like the body style, sliding moonroof with skylight, despite all the problems really like how smooth it rides.

Suggested Improvements

Would be much better if GM would recall these issues that seem to be a common problem. Need a car for reliability!!! Now I'm afraid to drive it til I can get if fixed which wont be cheap.

LAWSUIT IN THE MAKING????
By amberdawn

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Jan. 2010 I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and also dealing with the death of my mother. I needed a car that was reliable and safe for my kids. I loved how the car was small enough for me, but roomy enough for the kids. Test drive went great. Got the car home and seat broke, handles on seats broke, gas leak made baby very sick, power locks possessed, power steering freezes at times, cruise control works when it wants, horn honks randomly but not when its needed, CD ate my CD's and refuses to give them back, seat belts, brakes, wheels, etc. Seems to me that someone was extremely doped up when they built this car. Unsafe! Unfair to us consumers with high maint. bills. [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

Heater works! :)

Suggested Improvements

Recall & destroy the Malibu Maxx, refund all the owners of this P.O.C. model the amount paid for the car and repairs and suffering lol

So many things to say...
By christiehall

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Where to start? I bought this car from a used car lot in October 2011, with just over 100,000 miles for $6,500. The seat frame needed to be welded, and the other side did later. The water filter needed replacing, the belt broke in November 2011, left front wheel bearing broke in January 2012, air conditioner broke in May 2012, right front wheel bearing, spindle, hub cap, and others melted together in November 2012, as well as left front wheel bearing breaking again, back seat handle is broke, two remotes, CD player is jammed, shakes when braking, cruise control half works, etc. etc. Bad car, don't buy!

Favorite Features

The stereo system is outstanding. I plug my iPod into the auxiliary ports, turn up the bass and treble, and I feel as if the band is playing in my car. The DVD player is very convenient where it's located, and I'm sure if I had kids, it would be used daily. The space in the hatchback seems to go on forever, especially with the seats lowered. I have been able to fit an adult bike and a computer desk in there (at separate times of course). The back has great leg room. All my friends ooh and ahh at the rear moon roofs. Infinite features like trip mileage, oil change (though unreliable), MPG, and many other things.

Suggested Improvements

Everything described in the Review portion. Many of those things were the result of cheap parts. It's cost me well over $1,500 in repairs, in just one year.

I love this car!
By KJP

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 8800 miles on it. It now has over 135,000 miles and is still going strong! This is the most reliable car I've ever owned! I get great gas mileage and it is comfortable to drive! I drive 120 miles round trip M-F to work and back. This car is very roomy and practical! I love the hatchback and the fact that the seats fold down. I can haul TONS in this car! This car accelerates quickly and stops fast. Blind spots are limited so seeing out the windows is easy. There is really nothing I can say negatively about this car!

Favorite Features

XM satellite radio, comfortable seats, roomy interior, skylighting, quick acceleration and gets great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None. Just sad they stopped manufacturing this vehicle. I can't find another car I like as well as this one! Would DEFINITELY purchase another new one, if they did!

Meh
By IndyBuyer

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car off the lot back in '05. I take good care of my car and my wife occasionally drives it on the highway only. I have had the back seat levers break, my trunk release works only when it feels like it - which is great if you go to the grocery store and it decides not to work. The driver's side seat frame broke at 2 welds and is now a rocking chair ($517.97 for the part alone - no tax or installation) and the driver's side door lock only locks and unlocks manually. I had to purchase new key chain units as well due to the 2 that came with the car breaking when new batteries had to be installed. DVD player stopped working and car always pulls to the left despite 4 alignments.

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY!

Disappointing
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought after 2005 models introduced and got an excellent price. Loved it for the 1st couple of years until things started to fail. CD player failed on way home from the dealership. Replaced, but failed again in 2 years. Power steering and drivers seat frame failed. Although same steering failures covered under extended warranty for some VIN's, Chevy made us pay for more than half of cost. Rear seat reclining levers broke, fuse problems, both remote controls broke.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, speakers, spacious back seat, fold down back seats, good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality materials and much better quality control

I LOVE my Maxx!
By HeatherJ

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx LT used with almost 90,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted this car, & I researched it & found a great deal at a local car lot. Since buying it I have had very little trouble. Replaced the thermostat within the first few months & I had to replace something with the AC & it was over $500, but that is it! Sometimes the hatch won't open, but I have figured out a few tricks to get it to work. I take my car camping, it is used for road trips, I drive in the snow- I can do anything! Everyone always loves my car once they have been it. My best friend went & bought a Maxx too- but hers is newer than mine and a LS. She likes my '04 LT Maxx better!

Favorite Features

XM Radio, Radio Controls on Steering Wheel, My moon roof & sun roof, the fold down seats, heated seats, & leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

The vanity mirrors are cheap. The cover broke off of one of mine & the other is about to come off. My friend's Maxx did the same thing.

Don't buy GM
By JuliaG

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for less than a year (less than 70,000 miles) and it has had more than $3000 in repairs. The most recent issue for me was loss of power steering while on the highway. It's obvious to me that GM was aware of this safety issue, having issued a recall for the same year/make/model, although not including my VIN and they are not at all willing to assist me, although the dealership offered me a 10% discount on my bill. I will never again purchase a GM vehicle after the poor customer service I have received and vehicle quality I have experienced.

Favorite Features

DVD player and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

This prototype needed to be further reviewed prior to be released to the general public. Many flaws, including issues with the intermediate shaft and steering column.

I love this car!
By Justin

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx used with 80,000 miles on it. Since I have owned the car I have put over 60,000 miles on it and I have had no major problems except one. The transmission was burnt up because of a mechanics failure to properly exchange the fluid and I had to replace the transmission. Other than that this car has been a cherry. I have done some work on the car and added on a few features to make the performance and look of the car better. The Malibu Maxx is a great car and perfect for road trips, hauling loads, and comfortably seating five people.

Favorite Features

Even with 142000 miles on this Malibu, I still get great gas mileage, great performance, and even turn heads as I drive through town. Many wear items have been replaced but that doesn't compare to the driving experience and ownership I have with this car.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could use some work. The cloth seats are too cheap for this kind of car and the interior buttons and switches have the tendency to wear down after some time.