2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Bring it Back
By daisydal14 on 04/02/14 21:46 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and only have 93,000 miles on it. I have been hit once in the left rear quarter panel and had it repaired back to new! I was getting 37mpg on the freeway for the first few yeas but I am still getting 35mpg today. In town is not so great. I absolutely love this car! I really enjoy driving it either around town or on the freeway. Still has great acceleration. Have only replaced thermostat, serpentine belt and brakes and a spring. Muffler has a small hole in it which is not surprising - in Wisconsin. Everything still works (knock on wood). The remote fob broke but I am getting it fixed at a jewelers as it needs to be soldered.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS
By aundy28570 on 09/25/13 22:15 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just brought this car with 151000 miles. Little high but figured if previous owner kept up maintenance like they said then would be ok for a little while considering seemed to be a reasonable deal. Had for 5 days and already to dealership to find out multiple problems. After reading reviews some of these should be recalled such as power steering gear, serp belt needs replacing, remote intermittently works and few times problems with starting. Other problems include replacing oil pan gasket and side mirror switch. I am so dissapointed and to make matters worse the dealership is really high on labor. The mirrors and remote key is not a big issue but the other problems can be safety concerns!!!

LAWSUIT IN THE MAKING????
By amberdawn on 01/03/13 17:03 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Jan. 2010 I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and also dealing with the death of my mother. I needed a car that was reliable and safe for my kids. I loved how the car was small enough for me, but roomy enough for the kids. Test drive went great. Got the car home and seat broke, handles on seats broke, gas leak made baby very sick, power locks possessed, power steering freezes at times, cruise control works when it wants, horn honks randomly but not when its needed, CD ate my CD's and refuses to give them back, seat belts, brakes, wheels, etc. Seems to me that someone was extremely doped up when they built this car. Unsafe! Unfair to us consumers with high maint. bills. [non-permissible content removed]

So many things to say...
By christiehall on 11/27/12 20:13 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Where to start? I bought this car from a used car lot in October 2011, with just over 100,000 miles for $6,500. The seat frame needed to be welded, and the other side did later. The water filter needed replacing, the belt broke in November 2011, left front wheel bearing broke in January 2012, air conditioner broke in May 2012, right front wheel bearing, spindle, hub cap, and others melted together in November 2012, as well as left front wheel bearing breaking again, back seat handle is broke, two remotes, CD player is jammed, shakes when braking, cruise control half works, etc. etc. Bad car, don't buy!

I love this car!
By KJP on 10/11/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 8800 miles on it. It now has over 135,000 miles and is still going strong! This is the most reliable car I've ever owned! I get great gas mileage and it is comfortable to drive! I drive 120 miles round trip M-F to work and back. This car is very roomy and practical! I love the hatchback and the fact that the seats fold down. I can haul TONS in this car! This car accelerates quickly and stops fast. Blind spots are limited so seeing out the windows is easy. There is really nothing I can say negatively about this car!

I love this car!
By Justin on 03/30/10 21:07 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx used with 80,000 miles on it. Since I have owned the car I have put over 60,000 miles on it and I have had no major problems except one. The transmission was burnt up because of a mechanics failure to properly exchange the fluid and I had to replace the transmission. Other than that this car has been a cherry. I have done some work on the car and added on a few features to make the performance and look of the car better. The Malibu Maxx is a great car and perfect for road trips, hauling loads, and comfortably seating five people.

Excellent car
By Excellent on 03/01/10 06:57 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have this car since jan 2004, I never had any serious problem, the mileage per gallon is excellent. I drove this car at 60 miles per hour on a wet snow condition, the traction control were impressive, never swerved.

Bought new off the lot
By Fred on 05/29/09 09:40 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Maxx is a comfortable and smooth ride. It handles well in-town and quietly on the road. All of the controls are conveniently located. The 60/40 back seats fold down for much needed extra room. However, the markings for the radio buttons, power windows & locks and power side mirrors deteriorated quickly with use. We have had several bouts of electrical problems causing 2-3 week stays at the dealership while they tried to figure them out. Power locks are sluggish. Cloth interiors show stains and wear easily even with dealership treatment and cleaning. The back seat levers broke within 2 years but there were no further problems once replaced. Fuel line needed repair in 2008, too.

not bad
By anonymous on 04/21/09 11:50 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 4 days and the the steering shaft has already gone bad, but other than that I really love this car. Not much room in the back, but the kids love it the back seats adjust. couldn't ask for a better car...

A good car!
By jeh0587 on 02/12/09 19:48 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu Maxx used and I have had it for a little over a year now. It has done great in the winter and I love the power it has when I hit the gas. It is practical and all my friends want me to drive with it whenever we go out. Also with a cold air intake, the gas mileage and performance is a lot better then most cars.