Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 147 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

pleased
By Austin

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

great Utility

family car
By Paul furman

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

electronics are poor rear electronic hatch lock has been replaced twice almost $1000. air conditioner sometimes doesn't work have to pull out fuse & put back in to reset
nice ride & ergonomics comfortable seats great sales mans car or great for long trips like a station wagon with hatch average 18/19 miles per gallon in mixed driving & 22/23 miles per gallon 27/28 on interstates 16/17 miles per gallon in city driving. gets 10% better gas mileage w/89 octane. good old engine technology & trans easy to work on trans very good in shifting & down shifting at right time
handles great with micheline tires pilot exalto's H rated also quieter than & better handling than original equipt firestones which were terrible had to get rid of them my wife refused to drive the car in slippery conditions

Bring it Back
By daisydal14

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and only have 93,000 miles on it.
I have been hit once in the left rear quarter panel and had it repaired back to new! I was getting 37mpg on the freeway for the first few yeas but I am still getting 35mpg today. In town is not so great.
I absolutely love this car! I really enjoy driving it either around town or on the freeway. Still has great acceleration. Have only replaced thermostat, serpentine belt and brakes and a spring.
Muffler has a small hole in it which is not surprising
- in Wisconsin. Everything still works (knock on wood). The remote fob broke but I am getting it fixed at a jewelers as it needs to be soldered.

Favorite features are elect. seat, and adjustable steering wheel. Making the pedals adjustable was brilliant!! I am very short and this is the first car I have owned that I don't have to have cushions under and behind me to drive. I love that the rear seat reclines and also goes back and forth. The dash is very well laid out and everything is easy to see and reach. I am sorry that GM decided not to make this car after 2007-8. The body design is still up to date in my estimation - it's a beautiful little car. Everyone I know that has one (the LS) are proud to tell you what a great car it is.

No point - not made anymore. Too bad it was a very well designed car.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS
By aundy28570

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just brought this car with 151000 miles. Little high but figured if previous owner kept up maintenance like they said then would be ok for a little while considering seemed to be a reasonable deal. Had for 5 days and already to dealership to find out multiple problems. After reading reviews some of these should be recalled such as power steering gear, serp belt needs replacing, remote intermittently works and few times problems with starting. Other problems include replacing oil pan gasket and side mirror switch. I am so dissapointed and to make matters worse the dealership is really high on labor. The mirrors and remote key is not a big issue but the other problems can be safety concerns!!!

Like the body style, sliding moonroof with skylight, despite all the problems really like how smooth it rides.

Would be much better if GM would recall these issues that seem to be a common problem. Need a car for reliability!!! Now I'm afraid to drive it til I can get if fixed which wont be cheap.

LAWSUIT IN THE MAKING????
By amberdawn

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Jan. 2010 I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and also dealing with the death of my mother. I needed a car that was reliable and safe for my kids. I loved how the car was small enough for me, but roomy enough for the kids. Test drive went great. Got the car home and seat broke, handles on seats broke, gas leak made baby very sick, power locks possessed, power steering freezes at times, cruise control works when it wants, horn honks randomly but not when its needed, CD ate my CD's and refuses to give them back, seat belts, brakes, wheels, etc. Seems to me that someone was extremely doped up when they built this car. Unsafe! Unfair to us consumers with high maint. bills. [non-permissible content removed]

Heater works! :)

Recall & destroy the Malibu Maxx, refund all the owners of this P.O.C. model the amount paid for the car and repairs and suffering lol