2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:
Meh
By IndyBuyer on 09/29/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car off the lot back in '05. I take good care of my car and my wife occasionally drives it on the highway only. I have had the back seat levers break, my trunk release works only when it feels like it - which is great if you go to the grocery store and it decides not to work. The driver's side seat frame broke at 2 welds and is now a rocking chair ($517.97 for the part alone - no tax or installation) and the driver's side door lock only locks and unlocks manually. I had to purchase new key chain units as well due to the 2 that came with the car breaking when new batteries had to be installed. DVD player stopped working and car always pulls to the left despite 4 alignments.

Disappointing
By Bill on 08/24/10 17:04 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought after 2005 models introduced and got an excellent price. Loved it for the 1st couple of years until things started to fail. CD player failed on way home from the dealership. Replaced, but failed again in 2 years. Power steering and drivers seat frame failed. Although same steering failures covered under extended warranty for some VIN's, Chevy made us pay for more than half of cost. Rear seat reclining levers broke, fuse problems, both remote controls broke.

I LOVE my Maxx!
By HeatherJ on 07/25/10 09:56 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx LT used with almost 90,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted this car, & I researched it & found a great deal at a local car lot. Since buying it I have had very little trouble. Replaced the thermostat within the first few months & I had to replace something with the AC & it was over $500, but that is it! Sometimes the hatch won't open, but I have figured out a few tricks to get it to work. I take my car camping, it is used for road trips, I drive in the snow- I can do anything! Everyone always loves my car once they have been it. My best friend went & bought a Maxx too- but hers is newer than mine and a LS. She likes my '04 LT Maxx better!

Don't buy GM
By JuliaG on 05/08/10 02:47 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for less than a year (less than 70,000 miles) and it has had more than $3000 in repairs. The most recent issue for me was loss of power steering while on the highway. It's obvious to me that GM was aware of this safety issue, having issued a recall for the same year/make/model, although not including my VIN and they are not at all willing to assist me, although the dealership offered me a 10% discount on my bill. I will never again purchase a GM vehicle after the poor customer service I have received and vehicle quality I have experienced.

Longevity is Not its Strong Suit
By Maxx02360 on 02/25/10 14:00 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the car when I first purchased it; see my review in 12/04. But the car definitely has some quality issues. At 80,000 miles, I have replaced the steering column twice. Yes, the steering column! When it goes, it is almost dangerous to drive. I've also replaced the front bearings, the intake manifold, and the DVD system. The remote starter doesn't work anymore. Currently, my CD's are stuck in the audio system and wont play or eject. I took very good care of this car with the plan of giving it to my daughter, and while it still looks good, and my daughter loves driving it, it unfortunately has real quality issues.

"LEMON"
By Hoosier on 12/03/09 09:54 AM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased used, 23K miles...had factory warranty remaining. Complete brake job (w/rotors)...steering clunking noise..."gremlins" in the car. Drove 124 miles saw temperature reading at Cold. Replaced thermostat, sender, rad. cap. Left front turn signal pigtail replaced, still having problems and right signal. Replaced remote start...still having problems. Replaced starter, still having problems trying to start. I have seen and spoke to others about car having similar or premature failures or not. I believe its main computer board failure...like brain failure. Some times it works and others!! These are not consumer problems...they are manufacturing problems (LEMONS). Fuel mileage ???

Great Car
By Ed on 11/27/09 13:49 PM (PST)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned the car new since Feb. 2004. Have very few mechanical issues and have loved everything about it. Very comfortable road car and great power for a 6 cyl. MPG has been great, take it on road trips often and the AVG. MPG is almost 31 in and out of town (I don't reset the avg very often. Actually tried buying another new one two years ago but for some reason GM doesn't build them any more. Great family vehicle for the kids, and with the hatch and fold down seats (front and rear) turns into a "truck" when I need one. Only issue I have had is with the electronic steering (Saab) and have had it repaired.

Love my Maxx
By Rose on 06/04/09 07:37 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car with 7,000 miles on it as a dealer demo. Love the style, has tons of space and great gas mileage for a large sedan (34 highway, 27 city). There was a recall on the steering, but was fixed. I have 68,000 miles on it and the suspension is now noisy. I've had the brakes redone, but I drive a lot of hills. I would buy another, but GM is not making the hatchback Maxx model any longer.

An update on My Maxxy
By Sean 418 on 05/05/09 18:53 PM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

People write about their car generally within the first few months of ownership. I had written about this car previously. Well and update, I have had the car 4 years and love it. The head rest is a little stiff unlike my 2008 Pontiac Grand Prix or 2000 Olds Intrigue, but I love this vehicle. It has excellent acceleration. Has held up very well. I am very pleased with my purchase, still 4 years later.

To good to be true
By Herb on 03/10/09 11:31 AM (PDT)

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The first 3 years the car was an absolute joy to drive.Then after 50,000 kilometers the third stop light failed. And now the transmission cable broke. The problem is that the dealer cannot find a replacement in North America. They even checked scrap yards to no avail. They contacted GM and were told the part won't be available till August. This is a 5 year old car with 78,000 kilometers, and parts are already hard to locate. The dealer is trying his best, but it seems GM does not care.