Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Meh
By IndyBuyer

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car off the lot back in '05. I take good care of my car and my wife occasionally drives it on the highway only. I have had the back seat levers break, my trunk release works only when it feels like it - which is great if you go to the grocery store and it decides not to work. The driver's side seat frame broke at 2 welds and is now a rocking chair ($517.97 for the part alone - no tax or installation) and the driver's side door lock only locks and unlocks manually. I had to purchase new key chain units as well due to the 2 that came with the car breaking when new batteries had to be installed. DVD player stopped working and car always pulls to the left despite 4 alignments.

Favorite Features

Roomy

Suggested Improvements

QUALITY!

Disappointing
By Bill

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought after 2005 models introduced and got an excellent price. Loved it for the 1st couple of years until things started to fail. CD player failed on way home from the dealership. Replaced, but failed again in 2 years. Power steering and drivers seat frame failed. Although same steering failures covered under extended warranty for some VIN's, Chevy made us pay for more than half of cost. Rear seat reclining levers broke, fuse problems, both remote controls broke.

Favorite Features

Heated seats, speakers, spacious back seat, fold down back seats, good mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Higher quality materials and much better quality control

I LOVE my Maxx!
By HeatherJ

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Maxx LT used with almost 90,000 miles on it. I knew I wanted this car, & I researched it & found a great deal at a local car lot. Since buying it I have had very little trouble. Replaced the thermostat within the first few months & I had to replace something with the AC & it was over $500, but that is it! Sometimes the hatch won't open, but I have figured out a few tricks to get it to work. I take my car camping, it is used for road trips, I drive in the snow- I can do anything! Everyone always loves my car once they have been it. My best friend went & bought a Maxx too- but hers is newer than mine and a LS. She likes my '04 LT Maxx better!

Favorite Features

XM Radio, Radio Controls on Steering Wheel, My moon roof & sun roof, the fold down seats, heated seats, & leather interior.

Suggested Improvements

The vanity mirrors are cheap. The cover broke off of one of mine & the other is about to come off. My friend's Maxx did the same thing.

Don't buy GM
By JuliaG

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have owned this car for less than a year (less than 70,000 miles) and it has had more than $3000 in repairs. The most recent issue for me was loss of power steering while on the highway. It's obvious to me that GM was aware of this safety issue, having issued a recall for the same year/make/model, although not including my VIN and they are not at all willing to assist me, although the dealership offered me a 10% discount on my bill. I will never again purchase a GM vehicle after the poor customer service I have received and vehicle quality I have experienced.

Favorite Features

DVD player and sunroof

Suggested Improvements

This prototype needed to be further reviewed prior to be released to the general public. Many flaws, including issues with the intermediate shaft and steering column.

Longevity is Not its Strong Suit
By Maxx02360

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I liked the car when I first purchased it; see my review in 12/04. But the car definitely has some quality issues. At 80,000 miles, I have replaced the steering column twice. Yes, the steering column! When it goes, it is almost dangerous to drive. I've also replaced the front bearings, the intake manifold, and the DVD system. The remote starter doesn't work anymore. Currently, my CD's are stuck in the audio system and wont play or eject. I took very good care of this car with the plan of giving it to my daughter, and while it still looks good, and my daughter loves driving it, it unfortunately has real quality issues.

Favorite Features

Fun to drive. Handles Well.