Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Bring it Back
By daisydal14

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new and only have 93,000 miles on it. I have been hit once in the left rear quarter panel and had it repaired back to new! I was getting 37mpg on the freeway for the first few yeas but I am still getting 35mpg today. In town is not so great. I absolutely love this car! I really enjoy driving it either around town or on the freeway. Still has great acceleration. Have only replaced thermostat, serpentine belt and brakes and a spring. Muffler has a small hole in it which is not surprising - in Wisconsin. Everything still works (knock on wood). The remote fob broke but I am getting it fixed at a jewelers as it needs to be soldered.

Favorite Features

Favorite features are elect. seat, and adjustable steering wheel. Making the pedals adjustable was brilliant!! I am very short and this is the first car I have owned that I don't have to have cushions under and behind me to drive. I love that the rear seat reclines and also goes back and forth. The dash is very well laid out and everything is easy to see and reach. I am sorry that GM decided not to make this car after 2007-8. The body design is still up to date in my estimation - it's a beautiful little car. Everyone I know that has one (the LS) are proud to tell you what a great car it is.

Suggested Improvements

No point - not made anymore. Too bad it was a very well designed car.

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS
By aundy28570

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just brought this car with 151000 miles. Little high but figured if previous owner kept up maintenance like they said then would be ok for a little while considering seemed to be a reasonable deal. Had for 5 days and already to dealership to find out multiple problems. After reading reviews some of these should be recalled such as power steering gear, serp belt needs replacing, remote intermittently works and few times problems with starting. Other problems include replacing oil pan gasket and side mirror switch. I am so dissapointed and to make matters worse the dealership is really high on labor. The mirrors and remote key is not a big issue but the other problems can be safety concerns!!!

Favorite Features

Like the body style, sliding moonroof with skylight, despite all the problems really like how smooth it rides.

Suggested Improvements

Would be much better if GM would recall these issues that seem to be a common problem. Need a car for reliability!!! Now I'm afraid to drive it til I can get if fixed which wont be cheap.

LAWSUIT IN THE MAKING????
By amberdawn

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Jan. 2010 I was pregnant with my 3rd child, and also dealing with the death of my mother. I needed a car that was reliable and safe for my kids. I loved how the car was small enough for me, but roomy enough for the kids. Test drive went great. Got the car home and seat broke, handles on seats broke, gas leak made baby very sick, power locks possessed, power steering freezes at times, cruise control works when it wants, horn honks randomly but not when its needed, CD ate my CD's and refuses to give them back, seat belts, brakes, wheels, etc. Seems to me that someone was extremely doped up when they built this car. Unsafe! Unfair to us consumers with high maint. bills. [non-permissible content removed]

Favorite Features

Heater works! :)

Suggested Improvements

Recall & destroy the Malibu Maxx, refund all the owners of this P.O.C. model the amount paid for the car and repairs and suffering lol

So many things to say...
By christiehall

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Where to start? I bought this car from a used car lot in October 2011, with just over 100,000 miles for $6,500. The seat frame needed to be welded, and the other side did later. The water filter needed replacing, the belt broke in November 2011, left front wheel bearing broke in January 2012, air conditioner broke in May 2012, right front wheel bearing, spindle, hub cap, and others melted together in November 2012, as well as left front wheel bearing breaking again, back seat handle is broke, two remotes, CD player is jammed, shakes when braking, cruise control half works, etc. etc. Bad car, don't buy!

Favorite Features

The stereo system is outstanding. I plug my iPod into the auxiliary ports, turn up the bass and treble, and I feel as if the band is playing in my car. The DVD player is very convenient where it's located, and I'm sure if I had kids, it would be used daily. The space in the hatchback seems to go on forever, especially with the seats lowered. I have been able to fit an adult bike and a computer desk in there (at separate times of course). The back has great leg room. All my friends ooh and ahh at the rear moon roofs. Infinite features like trip mileage, oil change (though unreliable), MPG, and many other things.

Suggested Improvements

Everything described in the Review portion. Many of those things were the result of cheap parts. It's cost me well over $1,500 in repairs, in just one year.

I love this car!
By KJP

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with 8800 miles on it. It now has over 135,000 miles and is still going strong! This is the most reliable car I've ever owned! I get great gas mileage and it is comfortable to drive! I drive 120 miles round trip M-F to work and back. This car is very roomy and practical! I love the hatchback and the fact that the seats fold down. I can haul TONS in this car! This car accelerates quickly and stops fast. Blind spots are limited so seeing out the windows is easy. There is really nothing I can say negatively about this car!

Favorite Features

XM satellite radio, comfortable seats, roomy interior, skylighting, quick acceleration and gets great gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

None. Just sad they stopped manufacturing this vehicle. I can't find another car I like as well as this one! Would DEFINITELY purchase another new one, if they did!