2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

Base 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (20 reviews )
Started right up after sitting dead for 9mo
By damieboo on 07/22/14 18:12 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say? This car started right up after a 5 minute charge after I'd let it sit for over 9 months with a dead battery and old gasoline. Bought it titleless and the DMV's been totally unhelpful so unfortunately I couldn't drive it that whole time. Here I'd been trying to find a cheap battery to replace the one that certainly should've been dead, but said "Hey...why not see if it starts?" so I let it charge for maybe 5 minutes and what do you know, that sucker roared to life! I drove this car 2,000 miles from Wisconsin to California and haven't had to fix a thing on it. No repairs in the 2 years I've owned it besides oil and brakes. 10/10 for reliability.

Update from 2005
By kolocar on 04/18/14 08:34 AM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

After putting about 130K miles on it and reaching over 180,000 on the odometer, I sold the vehicle to my brother in Aug. 2011. It's still running strong (April 2014), with over 200K miles and counting. The Lumina was a reliable daily driver, and not a bad long distance trip vehicle either. Never less than 20MPG on a tank even in the deepest cold Chicago winters; typically low 30s pure highway driving. Stovebolt reliable and cheap to fix wear-out parts. Oil usage excellent at about 6K miles per quart. Tough as a tank. Was rear-ended once by a Mustang. Major frontend damage to the Mustang. Replaced the exhaust, bumper cover and shocks on the Lumina. Best Chevy I ever owned.

Upon Further Review
By lrobby on 12/23/10 08:44 AM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Since driving back from FL last Spring (see my earlier review) this car still impresses. The mileage has remained mich higher than the official ratings. City driving has been over 21 even in harsh conditions. The car drives nicely on snow covered roads. No ABS is a bit of a change since even my 99 Camaro has it. Mechanically, everything has been fine except an occasional extra noise from the starter. Not an emergency.

Nice Ride
By Lrobby99 on 05/25/10 18:19 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove this car to Wisconsin from Florida. I carefully monitored the fuel efficiency was very impressed by the numbers. Peaked at 33.4 mpg and averaged 32.30 mpg, all Interstate miles in relatively good conditions. Besides that the car accelerates nicely, handles relatively well, and rides pretty smooth. Mine has only 60k now and I hope to run this car for quite a while.

Old Faithful
By D. Johnson on 03/04/10 16:03 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for several years and now have over 204,000 miles on it. Highway mileage is 30 + which on a car of this size and weight is good. The only drawback for me is getting in and out of the car, comfort while driving is good even though the seat is worn. Repairs have been minimal. The intake gasket had to be replaced and other than that only brakes, tires, oil changes and other normal maint. has been necessary.

A Great American Car
By Jim on 02/26/10 15:56 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 96 Lumina that went forever with no maintenance. Bought this 2001 for son, with 74K miles, and he's driven it up to 150,000 miles now with virtually NO maintenance and NO problems. A tremendously well made reliable car.

P.O.J
By Aiden on 01/06/10 16:55 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission jerks when I try to speed up, I have to floor it to get up any hill at a minimum of 40 mph. The heat takes way to long to warm up compared to other vehicles I've driven. The gas stinks, I think a Hummer would be better. This car is big and bulky on the outside but I have to sit weird and lean the seat all the way back to have any room (No, I'm not a fat person and I'm only 6'1) and this car, for the msrp and being the last year it was made as a Lumina, is worthless in trade in and private party value.

Pretty freakin' awesome
By Brianna on 06/11/09 15:26 PM (PDT)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for less than a year. My dad bought it for me and it has been... okay. It has problems with the coolant tank (leaking), the security light and low coolant light ALWAYS stay on, and the mileage is pretty crappy. It was almost totaled when the sparkplug heads warped, and cost a fortune to fix. Other than that, I LOVE this car, and I love to drive it. I hope it doesn't die again!

Here is Reliability
By Jim Shurden on 01/27/09 18:55 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 8 years now with no major failures. I get 32-34mpg on the highway and about 21-24 mpg in town. I have done regular maintenance on it and at 105,000 miles it is still going strong!

One Awesome Rider
By Mike on 11/04/08 20:39 PM (PST)

2001 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for two years starting with 117,000 miles and put 20,000 on it myself and I replaced the factory stereo and a few mechanical parts myself and shes still ticking strong.