2001 Chevrolet Lumina Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

2001 Lumina Consumer Reviews

Base 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic - (21 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

2001 Chevy Lumina
By austinvt

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My family has owned this car since 2001 with 15,000 miles on it. We now have 190,000 miles on it. Still runs great. All we do it give it regular maintenance (oil changed every 3 and tires rotated and such). Its a fairly comfortable cruiser and has a basic but durable interior. The cloth seats still hold up well. It has a responsive engine/transmission and has no issue passing cars on 2 lane roads. (I last clocked a 0-60 run at 7 seconds flat). Gets about 25 on average with a 50/50 highway/city. Its not taxing to drive and has some decent driver feedback through the steering wheel. Handles winter fairly well to with stock tires. The family hope to get another 100,000+ miles out of it at least

Started right up after sitting dead for 9mo
By damieboo

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

What can I say? This car started right up after a 5 minute charge after I'd let it sit for over 9 months with a dead battery and old gasoline. Bought it titleless and the DMV's been totally unhelpful so unfortunately I couldn't drive it that whole time. Here I'd been trying to find a cheap battery to replace the one that certainly should've been dead, but said "Hey...why not see if it starts?" so I let it charge for maybe 5 minutes and what do you know, that sucker roared to life! I drove this car 2,000 miles from Wisconsin to California and haven't had to fix a thing on it. No repairs in the 2 years I've owned it besides oil and brakes. 10/10 for reliability.

Favorite Features

Amazing sound quality from the default speakers, comfy seats for a short person, big steering wheel, great visibility

Update from 2005
By kolocar

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

After putting about 130K miles on it and reaching over 180,000 on the odometer, I sold the vehicle to my brother in Aug. 2011. It's still running strong (April 2014), with over 200K miles and counting. The Lumina was a reliable daily driver, and not a bad long distance trip vehicle either. Never less than 20MPG on a tank even in the deepest cold Chicago winters; typically low 30s pure highway driving. Stovebolt reliable and cheap to fix wear-out parts. Oil usage excellent at about 6K miles per quart. Tough as a tank. Was rear-ended once by a Mustang. Major frontend damage to the Mustang. Replaced the exhaust, bumper cover and shocks on the Lumina. Best Chevy I ever owned.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride. Logical controls. Seating for 6 in a pinch. Great highway MPG, 30-32. (about 2000 RPMs at 70 MPH). Excellent outward visibility, reliability and durability. No timing belt to change @ $1K per job - nothing wrong with simple, durable, pushrod engines! 3.1 V-6 a gem.

Suggested Improvements

These points are kind of moot since the vehicle is out of production, but....the one thing I wish it had was 4-wheel disc brakes. Braking at highways speeds over 65MPH or downhill in the mountains was always a little scary. The rear drums did little real braking work, and the too-small front discs did about 80% of the braking work. Lots of brake fade. Never liked the double-push E-brake system. The battery was more than half covered by the washer wiper reservoir - dumb design.

Upon Further Review
By lrobby

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Since driving back from FL last Spring (see my earlier review) this car still impresses. The mileage has remained mich higher than the official ratings. City driving has been over 21 even in harsh conditions. The car drives nicely on snow covered roads. No ABS is a bit of a change since even my 99 Camaro has it. Mechanically, everything has been fine except an occasional extra noise from the starter. Not an emergency.

Favorite Features

I like the front split bench seating with the folding arm rest. Comfortable. No complains from back seat passengers, plenty of room.

Suggested Improvements

Just one cup holder in this car, in the dash. Not sure if this is common, but the heat is nothing to brag about. I've noticed this is a cool running engine and that is fine. But, when the temp is really down there, the heat is just okay. Warm, but that is about it. Takes a while to develop, and a while to really warm the interior. On another matter, the battery is difficult to access. Well hidden.

Nice Ride
By Lrobby99

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Just drove this car to Wisconsin from Florida. I carefully monitored the fuel efficiency was very impressed by the numbers. Peaked at 33.4 mpg and averaged 32.30 mpg, all Interstate miles in relatively good conditions. Besides that the car accelerates nicely, handles relatively well, and rides pretty smooth. Mine has only 60k now and I hope to run this car for quite a while.

Favorite Features

The engine and power train feel good. The fuel efficiency is very good.

Suggested Improvements

Production ended years ago.

Old Faithful
By D. Johnson

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Have had this car for several years and now have over 204,000 miles on it. Highway mileage is 30 + which on a car of this size and weight is good. The only drawback for me is getting in and out of the car, comfort while driving is good even though the seat is worn. Repairs have been minimal. The intake gasket had to be replaced and other than that only brakes, tires, oil changes and other normal maint. has been necessary.

A Great American Car
By Jim

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I had a 96 Lumina that went forever with no maintenance. Bought this 2001 for son, with 74K miles, and he's driven it up to 150,000 miles now with virtually NO maintenance and NO problems. A tremendously well made reliable car.

Favorite Features

Zero problems, almost zero maintenance cost. Love the exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes should have been larger, and drink holder not good.

P.O.J
By Aiden

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The transmission jerks when I try to speed up, I have to floor it to get up any hill at a minimum of 40 mph. The heat takes way to long to warm up compared to other vehicles I've driven. The gas stinks, I think a Hummer would be better. This car is big and bulky on the outside but I have to sit weird and lean the seat all the way back to have any room (No, I'm not a fat person and I'm only 6'1) and this car, for the msrp and being the last year it was made as a Lumina, is worthless in trade in and private party value.

Favorite Features

Despite it stinking in nearly every aspect, it has not died on me or the previous owner.

Suggested Improvements

Everything.

Pretty freakin' awesome
By Brianna

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've had this car for less than a year. My dad bought it for me and it has been... okay. It has problems with the coolant tank (leaking), the security light and low coolant light ALWAYS stay on, and the mileage is pretty crappy. It was almost totaled when the sparkplug heads warped, and cost a fortune to fix. Other than that, I LOVE this car, and I love to drive it. I hope it doesn't die again!

Favorite Features

Love the acceleration, how it handles, and just how it looks. Very handsome car.

Suggested Improvements

The air vents are badly placed, and the far right one (on mine) doesn't work at all.

Here is Reliability
By Jim Shurden

2001 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had this car for 8 years now with no major failures. I get 32-34mpg on the highway and about 21-24 mpg in town. I have done regular maintenance on it and at 105,000 miles it is still going strong!

Suggested Improvements

Maybe a little more front seat leg room but it is no big deal. Maybe have doors lock when taken out of park.