Lumina....A Great Value
By Ray Rack on
1999 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan
This is my 2nd Lumina, both purchased as 1 year used from Avis Auto Rental. My commute is 46 miles/day, with 1/3 city and the other 2/3 freeway. I average 28 MPG (UNREAL). Other than a front brake job at 60K miles on my 2nd car, I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH EITHER VEHICLE requiring dealer service. I currently have 73k miles on my 1999 and STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL TIRES with legal tread! A great front wheel drive system: I live on a hill with lots of snow in the winter and have had this car on many mountain dirt roads with absolutely no power or traction problems. Chevy gets a GOLD STAR for this very well designed, basic sedan.
Favorite Features
Simple but comfortable interior: headlights always on; great reliability, economy and FWD traction in snow, ice and wet weather. Smooth, quiet ride even in windy conditions.
Suggested Improvements
Redesign of air circulation to bring in COOL outside air w/o having to use A/C. Recommend slower speeds for intermittent wiper. Both Luminas developed slight ""clunk" noise when shifting from low to 2nd gear...never got worse or seemed to cause any problem....just annoying at times.