1999 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Review: Lumina....A Great Value

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Review

Lumina....A Great Value
By Ray Rack on

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This is my 2nd Lumina, both purchased as 1 year used from Avis Auto Rental. My commute is 46 miles/day, with 1/3 city and the other 2/3 freeway. I average 28 MPG (UNREAL). Other than a front brake job at 60K miles on my 2nd car, I have had ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS WITH EITHER VEHICLE requiring dealer service. I currently have 73k miles on my 1999 and STILL HAVE THE ORIGINAL TIRES with legal tread! A great front wheel drive system: I live on a hill with lots of snow in the winter and have had this car on many mountain dirt roads with absolutely no power or traction problems. Chevy gets a GOLD STAR for this very well designed, basic sedan.

Simple but comfortable interior: headlights always on; great reliability, economy and FWD traction in snow, ice and wet weather. Smooth, quiet ride even in windy conditions.

Redesign of air circulation to bring in COOL outside air w/o having to use A/C. Recommend slower speeds for intermittent wiper. Both Luminas developed slight ""clunk" noise when shifting from low to 2nd gear...never got worse or seemed to cause any problem....just annoying at times.