Love my 1999 LUMINA LTZ
By kenl56 on
1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan
I ordered my 1999 Lumina LTZ from GM built to my personal specs. Fully loaded. I had only four problems: 1. Alternator went out after 3 years 2. Switch for the automatic windows went out after 6 years 3. I was told my gas line needed replacement after 11 years (Maybe yes or maybe no) 4. When I floor the car the AC fan slows down ( No big deal since it rebounds after a few seconds) Other than that I have had no other problems. Every time I consider replacing my Lumina I back off asking myself, "WHY". I never had the engine tuned, I change the Oil every 10000 miles whether it needs it or not. The tires get expected life. The Body is in excellent shape minus a couple of parking lot dings
Favorite Features
When I need to get on a highway the 3.8L V6 can take me from 0 to 70 in a Brooklyn instant and maintain that speed for ever without any engine strain. It is comfortable on long trips and easy to get in or out of the drivers seat. ( Not too high off the ground or seated down in the dumps). No rust but the powder coating may need a little work. The Pewter color hides all sign of road dirt so it always looks good. I have had multiple offers to buy my Lumina but it's not gonna happen. I use the car every day but get 20-21 miles per gallon consistently. I would rather pay the price for gas than spend over 20 K for a car that may or may not be as dependable as my 1999 Chevy Lumina.
Suggested Improvements
Come up with a better spoilers the factory model is tacky. Add a drop down back seat so long items can slip through the trunk for large purchases. Correct gas and temperature gauges and adapt an honest business practice training program for dealerships. The gauges read lower than the true values. I inserted a thermal couple in the engine and drove my car until it was empty then filled it and monitored the mileage. When I brought it up to my Chevy sales and service managers they said it was in spec. I told the lairs I rented a similar car and that the rental car recorded accurate values.