1999 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Review: Good for the money, cheap tran

1999 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Review

Good for the money, cheap transportation
By Brandon on

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 17 for $1700, and I have to say, it's held up decently. It had been sitting for four years in a garage mostly, so I had to replace the coils, plugs, and flush the fuel system, but afterwards it ran pretty well. The 3.1 has decent torque (gets real slow past 45-50 MPH), the MPG is decent for as big a car as it is (I'm guessing 25 average, 27 absolute tops), and I've yet to do any big replacements (AKA Mechanic). Note, it has one cup holder, and it's crap. An Arizona can snapped right through it one day. If it weren't for the poor exterior condition mine's in (I got hit a couple times, no payout), I could be convinced to like it. Beware, handles American (AKA terribly)

Lots of Space (I fit four guitars, two stacks and half a drum kit in once), off-the-line performance is good for a decade-old Granny-car, shifts smooth, seemingly reliable from my experience.

Handling is terrible all-around (the brakes require serious forethought to slow down), steering is sloppy, bits I have replaced were high-priced (Window-switch, power-mirror, turn-signal switch, basically watch out for electrical), and the seat fabric is sweat-inducing, even in CT. Rattles a bit.