1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Wonderful Car!
By Louisiana Lady on 02/15/10 17:26 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Chevy Lumina is the best car ever. I have only had to provide basic maintenance and it still runs like new! My Lumina has 177,00 miles on it and I'm hoping to get another 100,000 out of it! It's still extremely comfortable and handled VERY well after hitting a deer doing 50mph! It never swerved or tried to leave the road. The damage was under $2000.00. It took the impact very well. I only wish they'd start making the Lumina again...I'd surely buy another one! Way to go Chevy!

Decent Car
By nc3e on 02/11/10 13:04 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car almost 8 years ago, and it has been very reliable over the years. The engine runs strong, although it isn't the most powerful engine out there. It gets better fuel mileage than I anticipated, and with 189,000 miles on the clock, there are no interior rattles or squeaks and no exterior rust. Recently, we have had problems with the vehicle overheating and the coolant leaks at various places (gaskets are rotting). The steering and suspension can be a little frightening, at highway speeds there is noticeable vibration and grip around turns isn't good, even for a car of this size. Brakes always feel weak, even when replaced, and will begin to pulse on long trips.

Good for the money, cheap transportation
By Brandon on 01/02/10 22:22 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 17 for $1700, and I have to say, it's held up decently. It had been sitting for four years in a garage mostly, so I had to replace the coils, plugs, and flush the fuel system, but afterwards it ran pretty well. The 3.1 has decent torque (gets real slow past 45-50 MPH), the MPG is decent for as big a car as it is (I'm guessing 25 average, 27 absolute tops), and I've yet to do any big replacements (AKA Mechanic). Note, it has one cup holder, and it's crap. An Arizona can snapped right through it one day. If it weren't for the poor exterior condition mine's in (I got hit a couple times, no payout), I could be convinced to like it. Beware, handles American (AKA terribly)

Great Car for the Money
By BentCoinReturn on 12/13/09 07:56 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for over two years and have only changed the oil until today. The original rad is rotting at the bottom and starting to leak... that's not too bad for a 10-year old car. The only com[plaint I have with this vehicle is the unusually wide turning radius... My 2001 Grand Prix turned a lot tighter than this...

My ex Government Lumina
By Chris on 12/03/09 21:11 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina at a government surplus auction, it had 68k/mi and now has 88k/mi. I was very satisfied when I first drove it,and I still am. It still starts with the flick of the key, idles and runs very smooth with smooth shifting and good acceleration. Steering response is very good and radius is average. I like the brake action from the pedal but think the stopping distance is a little on the far side. I normally get 20mpg city/highway and after fueling up and taking a road trip I got an amazing 29mpg despite doing hard accelerations and 80mph most of the way. I did have the intake manifold gasket replaced, which I was told common on these cars, with other normal stuff.

Gorman
By Gorman on 10/04/06 11:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Very satisfied with my Chevy Lumina. It is the easiest car ever to drive. Holds the road well. Have had only to do routine maintenance. Would really consider buying another Chevrolet product in the future.

1999 Lumina
By Chris on 07/09/06 19:46 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I am in sales and have never owned a car a dependable as the Lumina. This is my second Lumina. As of this writting it has just over 250,000 miles and I have not even changed a hose under the hood. Just keep that oil changed every 4000 miles.

prepare to repair
By DAVE ID on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

If you care at all about reliability this is not the car you want to get. At this time it is 4 and 1/2 years old. I haven't even finished paying it off and I will have to junk it because I can't afford the repair bills. I fix this car almost every month For example in the past 6 months, I have spent $1200 to fix various problems. Just got an estimate today for another $1800. But, I won't fix it anymore and will junk it. Problems have been bad brake (too frequently need to be cleaned, resurfaced), intake manifold gasket, head gaskets, calipers, pressure control solenoid. See MSN autos site too. Those problems described were my problems too. STAY AWAY!!!

Overall Good Car
By MrEddie on 03/27/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

The Lumina has served its purpose for me. AT 177K miles, I'm about to sell it. It's been a reliable car with very few problems. For a 6-cylinder, the gas mileage is not bad. I've gotten my money's worth here, and am only on the second set of tires with tread left. (Mostly highway miles though). Manifold leak seems to be a common problem however.

Very nice ride
By Dimas on 07/28/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about a year ago and put another 10k miles on it. After i bought it i had to replace the Intake Manifold, which cost me $300, other than that i did not repair ANYTHING. The car feels very safe. It is heavy, roomy and powerful. Great for long trips. Gas milage could be better. And the V6 is kind of useless since it only puts out 160hp. I dont understand why my friend has a 4 cyl. 2003 Altima and has more hp than i do. Ridiculous. I like my car. I hope to drive it for a long time.