Used 1999 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Love my 1999 LUMINA LTZ
By kenl56

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

I ordered my 1999 Lumina LTZ from GM built to my personal specs. Fully loaded. I had only four problems: 1. Alternator went out after 3 years 2. Switch for the automatic windows went out after 6 years 3. I was told my gas line needed replacement after 11 years (Maybe yes or maybe no) 4. When I floor the car the AC fan slows down ( No big deal since it rebounds after a few seconds) Other than that I have had no other problems. Every time I consider replacing my Lumina I back off asking myself, "WHY". I never had the engine tuned, I change the Oil every 10000 miles whether it needs it or not. The tires get expected life. The Body is in excellent shape minus a couple of parking lot dings

Favorite Features

When I need to get on a highway the 3.8L V6 can take me from 0 to 70 in a Brooklyn instant and maintain that speed for ever without any engine strain. It is comfortable on long trips and easy to get in or out of the drivers seat. ( Not too high off the ground or seated down in the dumps). No rust but the powder coating may need a little work. The Pewter color hides all sign of road dirt so it always looks good. I have had multiple offers to buy my Lumina but it's not gonna happen. I use the car every day but get 20-21 miles per gallon consistently. I would rather pay the price for gas than spend over 20 K for a car that may or may not be as dependable as my 1999 Chevy Lumina.

Suggested Improvements

Come up with a better spoilers the factory model is tacky. Add a drop down back seat so long items can slip through the trunk for large purchases. Correct gas and temperature gauges and adapt an honest business practice training program for dealerships. The gauges read lower than the true values. I inserted a thermal couple in the engine and drove my car until it was empty then filled it and monitored the mileage. When I brought it up to my Chevy sales and service managers they said it was in spec. I told the lairs I rented a similar car and that the rental car recorded accurate values.

Nothing but trouble
By gmck25004x4

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought my wife this car because it had the 3.8 and it was so beautiful. I hate Luminas and I didnt consider this a Lumina. It looked different with the package on it...however...it smelled like a Lumina, acted like a Lumina, and it was in the shop once a week like a Lumina. Interior is very uncomfortable. Hard for a real man to back into the cockpit without hitting his head and his butt. Seat is too low to the floor. Knees and legs groaned to get out after 200 miles. Gas mileage in town is 21 and on the highway is 27.7. It still got 21 on 30 mile trips. Had to go on 200 mile trips to get 27.7 Go figure... Intake gaskets and plenums are easy to go out on this. If you smell antifreez

Favorite Features

wide tires cd player

Suggested Improvements

Raise seats up and widen door openings strengthen head gaskets and plenums

Wonderful Car!
By Louisiana Lady

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Chevy Lumina is the best car ever. I have only had to provide basic maintenance and it still runs like new! My Lumina has 177,00 miles on it and I'm hoping to get another 100,000 out of it! It's still extremely comfortable and handled VERY well after hitting a deer doing 50mph! It never swerved or tried to leave the road. The damage was under $2000.00. It took the impact very well. I only wish they'd start making the Lumina again...I'd surely buy another one! Way to go Chevy!

Favorite Features

I like everything about the Lumina!

Suggested Improvements

No improvements needed!

Decent Car
By nc3e

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car almost 8 years ago, and it has been very reliable over the years. The engine runs strong, although it isn't the most powerful engine out there. It gets better fuel mileage than I anticipated, and with 189,000 miles on the clock, there are no interior rattles or squeaks and no exterior rust. Recently, we have had problems with the vehicle overheating and the coolant leaks at various places (gaskets are rotting). The steering and suspension can be a little frightening, at highway speeds there is noticeable vibration and grip around turns isn't good, even for a car of this size. Brakes always feel weak, even when replaced, and will begin to pulse on long trips.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable interior, good fuel mileage, smooth ride, very reliable until more recently, spacious trunk, high quality speakers, smooth shifting transmission, almost no maintenance (besides oil change/tire rotation).

Suggested Improvements

Sloppy steering, weak brakes, no keyless entry, no inside trunk release (must use a key to open the trunk on the base model), recent problems with coolant leakage, goofy looking front end (bumper comes to a point).

Good for the money, cheap transportation
By Brandon

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 17 for $1700, and I have to say, it's held up decently. It had been sitting for four years in a garage mostly, so I had to replace the coils, plugs, and flush the fuel system, but afterwards it ran pretty well. The 3.1 has decent torque (gets real slow past 45-50 MPH), the MPG is decent for as big a car as it is (I'm guessing 25 average, 27 absolute tops), and I've yet to do any big replacements (AKA Mechanic). Note, it has one cup holder, and it's crap. An Arizona can snapped right through it one day. If it weren't for the poor exterior condition mine's in (I got hit a couple times, no payout), I could be convinced to like it. Beware, handles American (AKA terribly)

Favorite Features

Lots of Space (I fit four guitars, two stacks and half a drum kit in once), off-the-line performance is good for a decade-old Granny-car, shifts smooth, seemingly reliable from my experience.

Suggested Improvements

Handling is terrible all-around (the brakes require serious forethought to slow down), steering is sloppy, bits I have replaced were high-priced (Window-switch, power-mirror, turn-signal switch, basically watch out for electrical), and the seat fabric is sweat-inducing, even in CT. Rattles a bit.