1999 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Love my 1999 LUMINA LTZ
By kenl56 on 04/28/12 07:13 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

I ordered my 1999 Lumina LTZ from GM built to my personal specs. Fully loaded. I had only four problems: 1. Alternator went out after 3 years 2. Switch for the automatic windows went out after 6 years 3. I was told my gas line needed replacement after 11 years (Maybe yes or maybe no) 4. When I floor the car the AC fan slows down ( No big deal since it rebounds after a few seconds) Other than that I have had no other problems. Every time I consider replacing my Lumina I back off asking myself, "WHY". I never had the engine tuned, I change the Oil every 10000 miles whether it needs it or not. The tires get expected life. The Body is in excellent shape minus a couple of parking lot dings

Nothing but trouble
By gmck25004x4 on 04/06/11 00:18 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought my wife this car because it had the 3.8 and it was so beautiful. I hate Luminas and I didnt consider this a Lumina. It looked different with the package on it...however...it smelled like a Lumina, acted like a Lumina, and it was in the shop once a week like a Lumina. Interior is very uncomfortable. Hard for a real man to back into the cockpit without hitting his head and his butt. Seat is too low to the floor. Knees and legs groaned to get out after 200 miles. Gas mileage in town is 21 and on the highway is 27.7. It still got 21 on 30 mile trips. Had to go on 200 mile trips to get 27.7 Go figure... Intake gaskets and plenums are easy to go out on this. If you smell antifreez

Wonderful Car!
By Louisiana Lady on 02/15/10 17:26 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

The 1999 Chevy Lumina is the best car ever. I have only had to provide basic maintenance and it still runs like new! My Lumina has 177,00 miles on it and I'm hoping to get another 100,000 out of it! It's still extremely comfortable and handled VERY well after hitting a deer doing 50mph! It never swerved or tried to leave the road. The damage was under $2000.00. It took the impact very well. I only wish they'd start making the Lumina again...I'd surely buy another one! Way to go Chevy!

Decent Car
By nc3e on 02/11/10 13:04 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car almost 8 years ago, and it has been very reliable over the years. The engine runs strong, although it isn't the most powerful engine out there. It gets better fuel mileage than I anticipated, and with 189,000 miles on the clock, there are no interior rattles or squeaks and no exterior rust. Recently, we have had problems with the vehicle overheating and the coolant leaks at various places (gaskets are rotting). The steering and suspension can be a little frightening, at highway speeds there is noticeable vibration and grip around turns isn't good, even for a car of this size. Brakes always feel weak, even when replaced, and will begin to pulse on long trips.

Good for the money, cheap transportation
By Brandon on 01/02/10 22:22 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car at 17 for $1700, and I have to say, it's held up decently. It had been sitting for four years in a garage mostly, so I had to replace the coils, plugs, and flush the fuel system, but afterwards it ran pretty well. The 3.1 has decent torque (gets real slow past 45-50 MPH), the MPG is decent for as big a car as it is (I'm guessing 25 average, 27 absolute tops), and I've yet to do any big replacements (AKA Mechanic). Note, it has one cup holder, and it's crap. An Arizona can snapped right through it one day. If it weren't for the poor exterior condition mine's in (I got hit a couple times, no payout), I could be convinced to like it. Beware, handles American (AKA terribly)

Great Car for the Money
By BentCoinReturn on 12/13/09 07:56 AM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for over two years and have only changed the oil until today. The original rad is rotting at the bottom and starting to leak... that's not too bad for a 10-year old car. The only com[plaint I have with this vehicle is the unusually wide turning radius... My 2001 Grand Prix turned a lot tighter than this...

My ex Government Lumina
By Chris on 12/03/09 21:11 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina at a government surplus auction, it had 68k/mi and now has 88k/mi. I was very satisfied when I first drove it,and I still am. It still starts with the flick of the key, idles and runs very smooth with smooth shifting and good acceleration. Steering response is very good and radius is average. I like the brake action from the pedal but think the stopping distance is a little on the far side. I normally get 20mpg city/highway and after fueling up and taking a road trip I got an amazing 29mpg despite doing hard accelerations and 80mph most of the way. I did have the intake manifold gasket replaced, which I was told common on these cars, with other normal stuff.

Lumina LTZ lover
By marylee on 08/13/09 08:01 AM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000 for 8500.00 w/40k miles. Its had one tune up and replaced the fuel pump/gas tank the first 2 weeks I had it. Since then its been in two car accidents (one was my fault) and had the front end body work done twice. Over 9 years it has had minimal problems. A/c, stuck window. Nothing Major. This year however, I have spent 1800.00 in repairs. 900 of that at the Chevy dealer. Big mistake. All in all. Its been problem free. Now we may be facing a transmission problem. Motor runs perfectly still. We are nearing 214,000 miles and planning to hit 300 by dec! Body is still Nice. Rides great. Mpg 27 mpg when the engines needs it.. We will rebuild it

love my lumina!
By chevygirl on 06/19/09 12:24 PM (PDT)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

My lumina has almost 122 thousand miles on it and is a 99 model. I have never had any problems about it except I have had to replace my spark plugs. Besides that I have my oil changed every 3-4 thousand miles and its still rolling. I only fill up with gas about once every week and a half. Its not a 'cool' car but it gets me from a to b, and is very reliable!

A Great Overall Car
By mindbreaker21601 on 02/11/09 18:39 PM (PST)

1999 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I just bought this car and it only had around 73,000 miles on it. I love the premium sound package that it has and the great bass from the factory speakers. My only regret is that they no longer make this car.