Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Lumina, not flashy, but reliable
By Ken

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had this car for about 2 1/2 years with minimal problems. Gas mileage was good for a mid-sized car. I averaged 24- 26 mpg with mixed driving. It had 130k+ when I traded it. It had no leaks and was running fine. The car seemed very balanced and rode smoothly. I had no problems in the snow.

The gas mileage was very good. Interior layout was simple.

More supportive, comfortable seats. The cupholders it did have were junk. Only repair issues were with the anti-lock brake sensors and the rear brake light switch in the steering column. Apparently both are common issues.

Best car I've ever owned
By KD

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've always had cars that were poor mechanically. This car has been awesome. I have done nothing to the engine except replace the spark plugs and change the oil. I replaced the gas tank and general maintenance. It's comfortable to drive but now with 146000 miles on it, it's starting to show its age. I don't get much power going up hills anymore. I'm going to be sad to see her go. There won't be another one like it out there as trouble free as this was.

Comfort, styling, trouble free overall.

Can't be improved now since they don't make them anymore, but I've had trouble with the interior quality. The cup holders broke and not due to abuse. The holders for the visors broke and I've lost the covers for the lug nuts as I have alloy rims.

Under rated car
By lumina owner

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Lumina, 2 90's, one 95 and now the 98. They have all been great vehicles, very cheap to up keep as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, they are cheap to buy and find that they are more comfortable than most cars on the road, fuel mileage has been great with all of the vehicles, the interior is spacious but kind of bland but thats why the aftermarket world exists. I really don't like Chevrolet but this model name is the only one I will buy from them, it's too bad they stopped making them in North America. If your buying the car with the intent to fix it up or modify it, it has a lot of parts available in the aftermarket but you do have to search for them.

4 wheel disc brakes, 3.8L engine, factory dual exhaust, dual climate control, power everything, cruise, tachometer, very spacious and comfortable.

Better suspension, better tranny (improved shift points), headlights very hard to view the road unless you upgrade the headlight bulbs with PIAA extreme or gtx bulbs, new location for the battery or the windshield washer bottle.

Great car, reliable as ever!
By Jeff Michaels

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I own a 1998 Lumina sedan and it has been in my family since it was brand new. It is holding up nicely! It now has 180,000 miles on it and still starts right up and drives smoothly! Exterior is still in great condition as well. No major problems have occured yet with it, this whole time! Just the minor, cheap routine repairs. This 3.1L V6 is awesome. Too bad Chevy quit assembling the 1995-2000 generation of Monte's and Lumina's.

Distinct frontal design, reliable, low- cost to maintain, smooth ride, nice handling, nice interior.

Some cheesy interior parts.

Fun to drive, Love this car
By Dadwithkids

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for the handling, horsepower and price. It had 25,000 miles on it at purchase. We've owned it since 1999, with no problems except brakes. With the sport tires this car drives like a sports car. At $200 each for tires, I purchased the cheaper Aquatread tires, don't do it. We finally need a bigger vehicle, and my wife doesn't want to give it up. It has been a great car for two kids, with a big trunk and enough separation in the backseat to keep the kids reasonable distance apart (a little less fighting).

Horsepower and handling. Highway mileage is good

Some cheap GM parts, like visor lock came out early in life