Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

1998 Lumina tops all cars I've owned
By Ruth Samuels

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

After 10 years of driving the 1998 Lumina, I have found it is the most reliable, comfortable, safe car I've owned. It has features which I have just discoved many 2008 cars still don't have: electronically adjustable driver's seat, daytime running lights, automatic headlights, a great engine without any hesitation which has always run smoothly and quietly. This car has never left me stranded - it seems to be indestructible and has always been exceptionally reliable. Plenty of room. Most important: no engine or transmission problems at all in 10 years, at 132,000 miles. It could go to 200,000 easily. I have owned a Corolla, Camry, Altima, & Buick. The Lumina has been the best by far!

Great engine, transmission, driver's seat, reliability, comfort, safety, 10 years of trouble free driving! Low cost of maintenance.

Chevrolet needs to bring the Lumina back to production!

Best cars built
By joe boxer

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car ever built. My '98 Lumina has 430,000 plus miles on it and Iíve done only routine maintenance repairs on it. The car drives like new yet, the power the 3100 v-6 makes. The passing power the ride. All are awesome yet.

Reliabilaty. Ease of maintenance. Build quality

None

Very reliable automobile.
By Lee Mullican

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April of 2001 with 28000 miles and it has been as reliable as one would want. I had the AC compressor replaced at 45000 and sans the typical maintenance this car has been a dream. Pickup is very good, handles bad weather (snow/rain) well and fuel economy is a solid 20MPG. My only issue with this is the steering ratio is really short.

Power seats, good pickup, solid MPG average.

Steering ratio is short so pulling into parking spaces can be a pain.

Solid functional vehicle
By roscoe38

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car w/ 28000 miles on it in '03. I put around 10000 miles a year on it. No major issues except for the intake gasket which I had to replace. Replaced mine at 58000 mis, cost me $500 plus. Other than that, nothing but the typical maintenance and upkeep. A solid ride, if rather bland, but performance is adequate. Inexpensive to keep on the road and has yet to fail me. Starts easily, runs well, decent on gas. Again, rather unspectatcular styling, but functional. Great choice for second car

Spacious, roomy, smooth ride.

Styling could have been a little more agressive. I seem to have gone through brake pads quicker than I thought

Lumina, not flashy, but reliable
By Ken

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had this car for about 2 1/2 years with minimal problems. Gas mileage was good for a mid-sized car. I averaged 24- 26 mpg with mixed driving. It had 130k+ when I traded it. It had no leaks and was running fine. The car seemed very balanced and rode smoothly. I had no problems in the snow.

The gas mileage was very good. Interior layout was simple.

More supportive, comfortable seats. The cupholders it did have were junk. Only repair issues were with the anti-lock brake sensors and the rear brake light switch in the steering column. Apparently both are common issues.

• SUV