Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Best cars built
By joe boxer

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car ever built. My '98 Lumina has 430,000 plus miles on it and Iíve done only routine maintenance repairs on it. The car drives like new yet, the power the 3100 v-6 makes. The passing power the ride. All are awesome yet.

Favorite Features

Reliabilaty. Ease of maintenance. Build quality

Suggested Improvements

None

Very reliable automobile.
By Lee Mullican

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April of 2001 with 28000 miles and it has been as reliable as one would want. I had the AC compressor replaced at 45000 and sans the typical maintenance this car has been a dream. Pickup is very good, handles bad weather (snow/rain) well and fuel economy is a solid 20MPG. My only issue with this is the steering ratio is really short.

Favorite Features

Power seats, good pickup, solid MPG average.

Suggested Improvements

Steering ratio is short so pulling into parking spaces can be a pain.

Solid functional vehicle
By roscoe38

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car w/ 28000 miles on it in '03. I put around 10000 miles a year on it. No major issues except for the intake gasket which I had to replace. Replaced mine at 58000 mis, cost me $500 plus. Other than that, nothing but the typical maintenance and upkeep. A solid ride, if rather bland, but performance is adequate. Inexpensive to keep on the road and has yet to fail me. Starts easily, runs well, decent on gas. Again, rather unspectatcular styling, but functional. Great choice for second car

Favorite Features

Spacious, roomy, smooth ride.

Suggested Improvements

Styling could have been a little more agressive. I seem to have gone through brake pads quicker than I thought

Lumina, not flashy, but reliable
By Ken

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I had this car for about 2 1/2 years with minimal problems. Gas mileage was good for a mid-sized car. I averaged 24- 26 mpg with mixed driving. It had 130k+ when I traded it. It had no leaks and was running fine. The car seemed very balanced and rode smoothly. I had no problems in the snow.

Favorite Features

The gas mileage was very good. Interior layout was simple.

Suggested Improvements

More supportive, comfortable seats. The cupholders it did have were junk. Only repair issues were with the anti-lock brake sensors and the rear brake light switch in the steering column. Apparently both are common issues.

Best car I've ever owned
By KD

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I've always had cars that were poor mechanically. This car has been awesome. I have done nothing to the engine except replace the spark plugs and change the oil. I replaced the gas tank and general maintenance. It's comfortable to drive but now with 146000 miles on it, it's starting to show its age. I don't get much power going up hills anymore. I'm going to be sad to see her go. There won't be another one like it out there as trouble free as this was.

Favorite Features

Comfort, styling, trouble free overall.

Suggested Improvements

Can't be improved now since they don't make them anymore, but I've had trouble with the interior quality. The cup holders broke and not due to abuse. The holders for the visors broke and I've lost the covers for the lug nuts as I have alloy rims.