Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Very Reliable
By Mr Sensitive

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new for my wife in 1998 in Houston Texas to replace her 1986 Chevy Monty Carlo. It has been a very reliable and exellent car to drive. Relatively good gas mileage even today in 2008. I get 25mpg on highway and 21 mpg local. I currently drive it back and forth to work about 26 miles round trip. Only repairs, turn signal switch and alternator. Had a small oil leak that I used some stop leak on the last oil change. This seamed to stop the leak. Changed plugs at 105k mile. Currently has 116,000 miles on it and still rides pretty smooth. Chevy should bring this vehicle back into production . I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Favorite Features

The sporty style of the car. Its smooth ride. Pretty quiet. No major repairs. Change oil every 3k miles and changed plugs and wires at 105k miles.

Suggested Improvements

None since the car is no longer in production- Please bring it back!

Very reliable car
By Jim

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Lumina in 2002 with 105K miles on it for $2800. Now it has 203K miles and still runs perfectly. Still looks good too. Have done only routine maintenance. I have definitely gotten my money's worth. I hope to get another 100K miles. Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, 30 mpg highway. What more could you want for basic transportation? Too bad Chevy stopped making Lumina's.

Favorite Features

Reliable, 30 mpg highway, exterior styling still looks good to me, roomy, reasonably comfortable interior.

Suggested Improvements

The only quibbles I have with this car are the cheap cupholders (broken), the inaccesible placing of the battery, and the chip on the ignition key which can be finicky.

Love my Lumina
By Judith Lloyd

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

My Lumina has been driven by me only and has given me excellent service. My Lumina has 31,550 actual miles and still has the same tires that came with it brand new. I only drive it work and church which are both less than 5 miles from my home.

Favorite Features

It is very comfortable, with leather seats which are my preference. Easy to adjust radio, disc with on steering wheel controls.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement to my car that I would like to have is a two-cup holder. It only has 1. Sorry Chevrolet does not make Luminas any longer. Great car.

Mega miles and still going strong
By 240000 miles'n'going

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Canadian summers and winters - extreme. AC still running fine; never used a block heater even at -40. Regular maintenance by neighbourhood mechanic. In past 9 years, gas tank, breaks twice, muffler clamp, tires, and recently a ?gasket? that meant the whole engine had to come apart... $850...not bad for 9 years...Honest. Had everything except sunroof...styling now out of date, but was there in '98. It's like my father's car...a living room with plush upholstery. Bars starting to be felt in driver's seat...got a heat/vibrate cushion...now life is great again...

Favorite Features

Soft plushy living room comfort...interior colours [burgundy]...heater, A/C, power, all gadgets still running...quiet...good on gas

Suggested Improvements

Bring this back...I'll take two! If I was writing in 2000, I'd think that more height in driver's seat, lumbar support, station wagon version

1998 Lumina tops all cars I've owned
By Ruth Samuels

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

After 10 years of driving the 1998 Lumina, I have found it is the most reliable, comfortable, safe car I've owned. It has features which I have just discoved many 2008 cars still don't have: electronically adjustable driver's seat, daytime running lights, automatic headlights, a great engine without any hesitation which has always run smoothly and quietly. This car has never left me stranded - it seems to be indestructible and has always been exceptionally reliable. Plenty of room. Most important: no engine or transmission problems at all in 10 years, at 132,000 miles. It could go to 200,000 easily. I have owned a Corolla, Camry, Altima, & Buick. The Lumina has been the best by far!

Favorite Features

Great engine, transmission, driver's seat, reliability, comfort, safety, 10 years of trouble free driving! Low cost of maintenance.

Suggested Improvements

Chevrolet needs to bring the Lumina back to production!