1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Under rated car
By lumina owner on 02/01/06 23:58 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Lumina, 2 90's, one 95 and now the 98. They have all been great vehicles, very cheap to up keep as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, they are cheap to buy and find that they are more comfortable than most cars on the road, fuel mileage has been great with all of the vehicles, the interior is spacious but kind of bland but thats why the aftermarket world exists. I really don't like Chevrolet but this model name is the only one I will buy from them, it's too bad they stopped making them in North America. If your buying the car with the intent to fix it up or modify it, it has a lot of parts available in the aftermarket but you do have to search for them.

Great car, reliable as ever!
By Jeff Michaels on 01/30/06 02:15 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I own a 1998 Lumina sedan and it has been in my family since it was brand new. It is holding up nicely! It now has 180,000 miles on it and still starts right up and drives smoothly! Exterior is still in great condition as well. No major problems have occured yet with it, this whole time! Just the minor, cheap routine repairs. This 3.1L V6 is awesome. Too bad Chevy quit assembling the 1995-2000 generation of Monte's and Lumina's.

Fun to drive, Love this car
By Dadwithkids on 06/18/05 06:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for the handling, horsepower and price. It had 25,000 miles on it at purchase. We've owned it since 1999, with no problems except brakes. With the sport tires this car drives like a sports car. At $200 each for tires, I purchased the cheaper Aquatread tires, don't do it. We finally need a bigger vehicle, and my wife doesn't want to give it up. It has been a great car for two kids, with a big trunk and enough separation in the backseat to keep the kids reasonable distance apart (a little less fighting).

Sporty and Basic
By Lumina Mom on 02/10/05 10:33 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for its safety ratings and its overall design. I did not want the "Soccer Mom" mini-van but on the other hand needed something big enough to get the job done. This car was it. It looks nice (rather sharp I think) I like the leather interior and the alloy wheels. I love the interior design for the most part. The major flaws are only one cup holder and the postioning of the ashtray (almost non existent). It is a little tricky with the brakes (abs) and I am having now problems with CV joints. Other than that, it's great!

Not all bad
By coonhound001 on 11/25/04 06:48 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for about 18 months; it is not a race car, but fuel economy is good.(24-27mpg on avg) The only serious problem has been with the anti- lock brake system (sensor?) The ride and transmission are smooth. The exterior looks okay and is holding up well.

Excellent Car
By mellibean on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought this car thinking that I would just keep a year or two. It was a used car, but I love it. I usually drove Dodge vehicles and just lost my Stratus to a bad car accident. I have to say this car is wonderful. I intially thought it was a "Old lady" car. But its sharp even at its age. I have to say I lucked out it only had 15000 miles on it upon purchasing it. I think its a very sharp car. It had all the extras and even the rims are cool. I have had other Lumina owners say "wow" I wish I had all those options. It looks more like a Monte Carlo on the inside and it mentions that on the orignal sticker and the title.

1998 Chevrolet Lumina
By dale061327 on 04/28/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have driven this vehicle for 77000 of its 103000 miles. Only parts to be replaced over its lifetime are ignition key lock cylinder and the generator. Other than this there have been no problems. The vehicle has just had its mandatory annual state inspection and passed flawlessly. It's a good car. Too bad they stopped manufacturing them!

great car!!
By dogloverMom and five on 02/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Just recently sold to my best friends mother, so it would stay in the family. Very good car, always started right up even sitting in frigid Indiana winters outside all night. Never had any problems besides very minor issues.Hate to get rid of it, but got a new SUV.This car got us back and forth on several vacations, and drove great on ice and snow.

Road Warrior
By brewerfan on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

Car has been a work horse for 6-years. Very dependable with little to no maitance (expept oil changes). Actually went 135K miles before changing the plugs and was still getting 28 mpg on the highway. Body design and interior leave a bit to be desired, but all in all a very good value over the course of the six years.

OK car.
By argekay on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 75,000 miles. Had to replace the turn signal assembly on the steering wheel due to inoperative brake lights. Engine has very noisy metallic sound when started cold. This is a known defect. Noise goes away when engine warms up. Fuel gauge is useless. It is not accurate at all. Cup holder is broken due to flimsy design. That being said, the car is reliable all around. Nice quiet and solid ride. This is the best chevy product I have owned, but my next car will be a Toyota Camry.