1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Very Reliable
By Mr Sensitive on 06/13/08 11:08 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new for my wife in 1998 in Houston Texas to replace her 1986 Chevy Monty Carlo. It has been a very reliable and exellent car to drive. Relatively good gas mileage even today in 2008. I get 25mpg on highway and 21 mpg local. I currently drive it back and forth to work about 26 miles round trip. Only repairs, turn signal switch and alternator. Had a small oil leak that I used some stop leak on the last oil change. This seamed to stop the leak. Changed plugs at 105k mile. Currently has 116,000 miles on it and still rides pretty smooth. Chevy should bring this vehicle back into production . I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Very reliable car
By Jim on 06/03/08 07:22 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Lumina in 2002 with 105K miles on it for $2800. Now it has 203K miles and still runs perfectly. Still looks good too. Have done only routine maintenance. I have definitely gotten my money's worth. I hope to get another 100K miles. Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, 30 mpg highway. What more could you want for basic transportation? Too bad Chevy stopped making Lumina's.

Love my Lumina
By Judith Lloyd on 02/11/08 22:00 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

My Lumina has been driven by me only and has given me excellent service. My Lumina has 31,550 actual miles and still has the same tires that came with it brand new. I only drive it work and church which are both less than 5 miles from my home.

Mega miles and still going strong
By 240000 miles'n'going on 11/04/07 16:55 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Canadian summers and winters - extreme. AC still running fine; never used a block heater even at -40. Regular maintenance by neighbourhood mechanic. In past 9 years, gas tank, breaks twice, muffler clamp, tires, and recently a ?gasket? that meant the whole engine had to come apart... $850...not bad for 9 years...Honest. Had everything except sunroof...styling now out of date, but was there in '98. It's like my father's car...a living room with plush upholstery. Bars starting to be felt in driver's seat...got a heat/vibrate cushion...now life is great again...

1998 Lumina tops all cars I've owned
By Ruth Samuels on 10/10/07 07:46 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

After 10 years of driving the 1998 Lumina, I have found it is the most reliable, comfortable, safe car I've owned. It has features which I have just discoved many 2008 cars still don't have: electronically adjustable driver's seat, daytime running lights, automatic headlights, a great engine without any hesitation which has always run smoothly and quietly. This car has never left me stranded - it seems to be indestructible and has always been exceptionally reliable. Plenty of room. Most important: no engine or transmission problems at all in 10 years, at 132,000 miles. It could go to 200,000 easily. I have owned a Corolla, Camry, Altima, & Buick. The Lumina has been the best by far!

Best cars built
By joe boxer on 06/21/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car ever built. My '98 Lumina has 430,000 plus miles on it and I’ve done only routine maintenance repairs on it. The car drives like new yet, the power the 3100 v-6 makes. The passing power the ride. All are awesome yet.

Very reliable automobile.
By Lee Mullican on 03/15/07 09:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April of 2001 with 28000 miles and it has been as reliable as one would want. I had the AC compressor replaced at 45000 and sans the typical maintenance this car has been a dream. Pickup is very good, handles bad weather (snow/rain) well and fuel economy is a solid 20MPG. My only issue with this is the steering ratio is really short.

Solid functional vehicle
By roscoe38 on 09/19/06 17:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car w/ 28000 miles on it in '03. I put around 10000 miles a year on it. No major issues except for the intake gasket which I had to replace. Replaced mine at 58000 mis, cost me $500 plus. Other than that, nothing but the typical maintenance and upkeep. A solid ride, if rather bland, but performance is adequate. Inexpensive to keep on the road and has yet to fail me. Starts easily, runs well, decent on gas. Again, rather unspectatcular styling, but functional. Great choice for second car

Lumina, not flashy, but reliable
By Ken on 05/31/06 14:05 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I had this car for about 2 1/2 years with minimal problems. Gas mileage was good for a mid-sized car. I averaged 24- 26 mpg with mixed driving. It had 130k+ when I traded it. It had no leaks and was running fine. The car seemed very balanced and rode smoothly. I had no problems in the snow.

Best car I've ever owned
By KD on 04/13/06 15:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I've always had cars that were poor mechanically. This car has been awesome. I have done nothing to the engine except replace the spark plugs and change the oil. I replaced the gas tank and general maintenance. It's comfortable to drive but now with 146000 miles on it, it's starting to show its age. I don't get much power going up hills anymore. I'm going to be sad to see her go. There won't be another one like it out there as trouble free as this was.