Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews - 64 Car Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Very Reliable
By Josh

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car when it had 141,000 and it now has 156,000 The car is great. The engine and ride are both smooth and it is steady at 20 MPG. The only thing I would change is the turning radius. It can be a pain but, overall the car is the best I've ever owned.I wish they were still making them.

Rides and runs smooth, steady MPG

Turning radius

I want a new car!!!!
By luminassuck

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my lumina in October 2008 and I have already had an oil and radiator leak. The gas mileage is horrible, it's a very loud car with no power and it seems every time I go and get my oil changed they tell me another thing wrong with it. The interior is falling apart and on a rainy day the interior fogs up horribly, even with defrost on. I hate my car.

Comfortable interior lots of room.

Not such a crappy engine.

3800 LTZ
By Tony

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

This car was my moms for 10 years and I just got it as my first car and what a great car it is. the only problem so far is a hole in a plastic elbow for radiator fluid line but its a fairly easy fix the only thing i don't get is why use plastic for something that's holding pressurized hot liquid ? The stock not supercharged 3.8 kicks on the streets and can spank most stock cars off the line

3.8L Engine !!! Leather seats sun/moon roof

Aluminum rims stink - they oxidize and change size when heated and cooled and due to that they leak! Also 16" rims w/ AMC bolt pattern = Lame. fix = 15" Chevy bolt rims Front wheel drive is boring. give me some Rear Wheel drive !!!

very good car
By augie

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We picked the car out for my mother - in- law in 1999 with 15001 miles on it. She wanted a 6 passenger car so she could drive her bridge playing pals around. Out of about 10 of them she and the Lumina are the only ones still around. She doesn't drive anymore so it's now the #4 vehicle in a 3 driver family. I'm going to put on its first new set of tires and probably keep it for another 10 years.

It gets good mileage and is very comfortable to drive and ride in.

The company needs to build more 6 passenger cars that are this bullet proof.

Overall a good car
By Joe

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've put 15,000 miles on it (127k now) since I bought it. It's a base model, but it has power options and keyless entry - big plus. Interior design is the best part: simple. 3 gauges, 3 climate knobs, and not much more. Standard GM controls work well. Car has tiny spots of rust behind wheels, but that's expected with age. I've gotten 33mpg going 68 on the highway in calm weather, but I get < 20 in the city. This car has adequate power, but who wants adequate? The 3100 has enough grunt to make your heart race when you push it from a stoplight, and it works okay for passing on the highway. Drivers side visor clip and rear passenger window button broke, but they're not important.

Auto headlights. Curvy styling sets it apart from other 90s boxes. Reliability (only regular maintenance needed so far). Gas struts on hood. Roomy. No torque steer. Usually quiet (but more cabin noise as it ages). Good in snow (better with ABS), even with all- seasons.

Wish it had the 3800 (40 more horsepower, same mileage). Nose is quite big - makes scooting around cramped parking lots tough. Trunk arms intrude into trunk space. Tach needed. A bit of engine vibration makes it through to the body when stopped - shifting to neutral eliminates this. Would like ABS.