1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
3800 LTZ
By Tony on 07/21/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

This car was my moms for 10 years and I just got it as my first car and what a great car it is. the only problem so far is a hole in a plastic elbow for radiator fluid line but its a fairly easy fix the only thing i don't get is why use plastic for something that's holding pressurized hot liquid ? The stock not supercharged 3.8 kicks on the streets and can spank most stock cars off the line

very good car
By augie on 05/16/09 22:03 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We picked the car out for my mother - in- law in 1999 with 15001 miles on it. She wanted a 6 passenger car so she could drive her bridge playing pals around. Out of about 10 of them she and the Lumina are the only ones still around. She doesn't drive anymore so it's now the #4 vehicle in a 3 driver family. I'm going to put on its first new set of tires and probably keep it for another 10 years.

Overall a good car
By Joe on 04/29/09 07:30 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've put 15,000 miles on it (127k now) since I bought it. It's a base model, but it has power options and keyless entry - big plus. Interior design is the best part: simple. 3 gauges, 3 climate knobs, and not much more. Standard GM controls work well. Car has tiny spots of rust behind wheels, but that's expected with age. I've gotten 33mpg going 68 on the highway in calm weather, but I get < 20 in the city. This car has adequate power, but who wants adequate? The 3100 has enough grunt to make your heart race when you push it from a stoplight, and it works okay for passing on the highway. Drivers side visor clip and rear passenger window button broke, but they're not important.

Thought GM is always bad
By YM on 04/19/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I'm a student a got this Lumina for $1500. It has high mileage 180000+ but runs great. A lot of power, very reliable, with reasonable gas mileage. I bought it Sep 2008 used for more than 10 years. Bought for winter and thought that I'll have to leave for parts after that. It still runs great and I decided to keep it, nothing changes except battery.

Very reliable!
By Angel eyes on 04/12/09 20:54 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car from a friend. This car now has over 200,000 miles and still runs great! It also still gets great gas mileage, 18 in town and to my surprise about 30 on hwy!!! I would buy this car over again.

A solid but very basic car
By CarLuva on 03/23/09 09:24 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

The lifters started sticking when the engine was cold around 60K, but other than making quite a racket, there was no negative effect. Most of the work I had done was routine maintenance (battery, alternator, turn signal switch). Around 90K, it started having some more serious problems (the most expensive was a leaky intake manifold gasket), but nothing terribly out of the ordinary. The 3.1L V6 had adequate power, and the automatic transmission was reasonably responsive. The biggest shortcoming of the car was interior build quality: Both sunvisor clips and one cupholder broke under normal use. Gas mileage was very good for such a big car: I got 27 MPG highway going about 75 MPH.

Awesome beginner drivers car
By mattfischel on 02/08/09 15:50 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is a good great car for beginning drivers. A little tough to parallel park. It's a great car in the snow, also fun to drive in the snow on a with no traffic.

The Car That Won't Quit
By QueenFancyPants on 10/26/08 20:31 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I received my Lumina, from my aunty a while back. She gave it to me when she got a new car. The Lumina is a great car. It's great on fuel mileage, reliable and very comfortable. I'm 5'6'' and I can easily get comfortable in the drivers seat. Power is instant and I can hardly resist the sound of the 3.1 V6. The car has over 140,000 miles on it and the transmission shifts from first to fourth since it's failing. Other than that, this car is perfect. I love the interior and exterior and it's a shame that Chevy stopped making Luminas. Reliablity is spot on and I do routine maintenence myself. It's the car the won't quit.

Best Car Still on the Road
By Pat on 09/01/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Ten years and still going. I still get the same miles per gallon as day one (I keep a log), one tune up at 100K, only peformed normal maintanence. The only thing my AC needs to be charged if it's the compressor it's the only thing on the car, other than tires that would not be original. It rides great and if I can fix the AC I hope to be doing this again at 200K miles right now I'm at 116,600.

Great family car
By Farrah on 07/12/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This just replaced our 98 Cavalier with 112,000 miles. Our 98 Lumina has 48,600 plus miles. Runs smooth and like a champ. Great on gas.