1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
That's a Lumina?!
By kd0bep on 01/16/11 07:48 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for nearly ten years and never had any major problems until we happened to get an oil change while at Wal Mart and they managed to drop something in the engine while doing it. When we drove the car from the store it started to make a clinking sound. When we went back they told us to prove it! So we took it to a mechanic who said it would be simply cheaper to replace the engine than to fight over it. Well he ended up putting the engine in wrong and it died out and needed another one. It becomes an even sadder story from there. The car still runs but it just isn't the same. It currently sits at 176,000 miles.

3800 LTZ
By Tony on 07/21/09 19:07 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

This car was my moms for 10 years and I just got it as my first car and what a great car it is. the only problem so far is a hole in a plastic elbow for radiator fluid line but its a fairly easy fix the only thing i don't get is why use plastic for something that's holding pressurized hot liquid ? The stock not supercharged 3.8 kicks on the streets and can spank most stock cars off the line

Love my Lumina
By Judith Lloyd on 02/11/08 22:00 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

My Lumina has been driven by me only and has given me excellent service. My Lumina has 31,550 actual miles and still has the same tires that came with it brand new. I only drive it work and church which are both less than 5 miles from my home.

Under rated car
By lumina owner on 02/01/06 23:58 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Lumina, 2 90's, one 95 and now the 98. They have all been great vehicles, very cheap to up keep as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, they are cheap to buy and find that they are more comfortable than most cars on the road, fuel mileage has been great with all of the vehicles, the interior is spacious but kind of bland but thats why the aftermarket world exists. I really don't like Chevrolet but this model name is the only one I will buy from them, it's too bad they stopped making them in North America. If your buying the car with the intent to fix it up or modify it, it has a lot of parts available in the aftermarket but you do have to search for them.

Fun to drive, Love this car
By Dadwithkids on 06/18/05 06:04 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for the handling, horsepower and price. It had 25,000 miles on it at purchase. We've owned it since 1999, with no problems except brakes. With the sport tires this car drives like a sports car. At $200 each for tires, I purchased the cheaper Aquatread tires, don't do it. We finally need a bigger vehicle, and my wife doesn't want to give it up. It has been a great car for two kids, with a big trunk and enough separation in the backseat to keep the kids reasonable distance apart (a little less fighting).

Sporty and Basic
By Lumina Mom on 02/10/05 10:33 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car for its safety ratings and its overall design. I did not want the "Soccer Mom" mini-van but on the other hand needed something big enough to get the job done. This car was it. It looks nice (rather sharp I think) I like the leather interior and the alloy wheels. I love the interior design for the most part. The major flaws are only one cup holder and the postioning of the ashtray (almost non existent). It is a little tricky with the brakes (abs) and I am having now problems with CV joints. Other than that, it's great!

Excellent Car
By mellibean on 08/16/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought this car thinking that I would just keep a year or two. It was a used car, but I love it. I usually drove Dodge vehicles and just lost my Stratus to a bad car accident. I have to say this car is wonderful. I intially thought it was a "Old lady" car. But its sharp even at its age. I have to say I lucked out it only had 15000 miles on it upon purchasing it. I think its a very sharp car. It had all the extras and even the rims are cool. I have had other Lumina owners say "wow" I wish I had all those options. It looks more like a Monte Carlo on the inside and it mentions that on the orignal sticker and the title.

Road Warrior
By brewerfan on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

Car has been a work horse for 6-years. Very dependable with little to no maitance (expept oil changes). Actually went 135K miles before changing the plugs and was still getting 28 mpg on the highway. Body design and interior leave a bit to be desired, but all in all a very good value over the course of the six years.

LTZ
By cnorth on 10/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We have had no problems with this car. I am very pleased except for noisy tires and they are not origanal.

One of my best used cars!!
By Grewal on 08/07/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2003 with 124000 miles on it. With its big and powerful engine, I have driven it more than 10,000 miles in less than 3 months...runs excellent..no problems at all.