1998 Chevrolet Lumina Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1998 Lumina Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Sort Reviews by

First And Only Car
By eschaefer1

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Love this car, I got it as a 16th birthday gift from my mother, it had 150k miles on it and it now has 167k miles. put new battery, serpentine belt and all new pumps, plugs, and wires in it along with new intake manifold gaskets ($400-$600) and new Moda MD9 Rims. easily maintainable except for battery removal, which is a pain to get out. only major problem in whole car is small rust spot under gas cap, couple dents on fenders and rack and pinion needs replaced ($400-$800) depending on where you go. after 12 years thats amazing to me, even after i ditched it, which didnt seem to phase it internally. 100% recommended to anyone wanting a cheap, affordable gas sipping (21-32MPG) 4 door sedan.

Favorite Features

Gas Mileage, Durability, Easily Maintainable, Safety, Affordability, Sporty look with the hood lines

Suggested Improvements

Battery Removal, Possibly more power but 189hp seems to work fine for day to day

Wondering what to do....
By carrisa_lumina

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for about 5 years now, it has about 75,000 miles on it (the odometer stopped working at 35,000) I am trying to decide whether or not to fix this car up to keep it or buy a newer car. I havent had any major problems with this car, fuel pump(twice), the ignition stopped working so I had to have a push button start installed, and a starter, also the AC doesnt work. I was just looking to see what I should do with the car... it needs to have the transmission serviced, oil changed, new tires, and when I try to start it sometimes it skips and doesnt catch right away. Also the AC doesnt wor

Favorite Features

Great pick up, rides smooth

Suggested Improvements

My car is pretty basic and doesnt have a cd player.

That's a Lumina?!
By kd0bep

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for nearly ten years and never had any major problems until we happened to get an oil change while at Wal Mart and they managed to drop something in the engine while doing it. When we drove the car from the store it started to make a clinking sound. When we went back they told us to prove it! So we took it to a mechanic who said it would be simply cheaper to replace the engine than to fight over it. Well he ended up putting the engine in wrong and it died out and needed another one. It becomes an even sadder story from there. The car still runs but it just isn't the same. It currently sits at 176,000 miles.

Favorite Features

I have one with the 3800 which has a lot of pickup. Most people think the car is pretty lame until you hit the gas and turn up the stereo. The stereo on the car is unbelievable for stock. I also love the quad exhaust and spoiler that just hint at the little secrets this car hides!

Suggested Improvements

I don't think this car needs many improvements. It is a basic car with a little kick. I would buy another Lumina if I could to replace this one but they are aging cars and hard to find under 100,000 miles but if you do find one, buy it while you still can.

I love this car
By Michael S. Terrell

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

There is nothing wrong with our lumina, yeah she has had a few engine mishaps in her time but we drive her all the time. She's 12 years old and over 170,000 miles but still runs great. I don't need her for speed just get me where I'm going. Great on gas for long distances. Drove her from NY to Texas, then to California a few times, Arizona also. My wife wants an rv, that's fine. I plan on a new Chevy Lumina someday. She needs a wash and wax, and in/out cleaning but still looks great, rides great. Boo yahh!

Favorite Features

comfortable riding and driving, trunk space is great also

Suggested Improvements

need to find brighter lights than offered, tried a few halogens and not as bright as some of the newer sports cars or trucks and CLEAR headlight covers..those opaque covers cut back on the brightness,especially on really dark roads

It Keeps On Going
By ddrhj

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is my first and only car, but it has been a great one. After 115,000 miles, it's reliability and performance are still wonderful. The fuel mileage has hovered around 30 miles/gallon over the life of the car and the maintenance has been extremely minimal.

Favorite Features

It's true fuel economy and reliability. This car has never let me down besides a couple of battery issues over it's lifetime.

Suggested Improvements

Visibility is somewhat poor for shorter drivers. Clearing the back windshield of ice or fog takes a long time due to air circulation pattern.

98 lumina
By Terry

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Great car, most trouble free, great gas mileage(21-24 town,32-34highway), most comfortable car for traveling coast to coast we have ever owned. Jan. 2010 timing chain cover gasket gave out,will fix and drive. This car now has 203,000 miles on it. Other than the gasket we have only had to fix the battery, starter and alternator.

reliable, comfortable cruiser
By Pete

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this as a used, first car for a new driver due to good crash test ratings. Over the 5 yrs we have had it, I am impressed with the comfortable, quiet ride and high overall reliability and low operating costs.. Highly recommended..

Favorite Features

split bench seats

Suggested Improvements

exterior mirrors can be larger

Boaty-
By NickoSweetConfidence

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina from my boyfriends mom in November of 2008. It had 180,000 miles when I got it, now has 215,000. I'm the second owner. I have had to fix some minor issues here and there but the car is amazing. Takes it like i give it. I have no disappointments in the way it drives or handles. Incredibly reliable. Gas mileage is pretty good, without sacrificing power, which is great with today's economy. I recommend this car to anyone looking for a roomy, comfortable, reliable vehicle.

Favorite Features

Acceleration, Huge backseat when front seats are up. Handling, Great in snow.

Suggested Improvements

Bucket seats! I Hate the bench! better floor heating vents.

Very Reliable
By Josh

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car when it had 141,000 and it now has 156,000 The car is great. The engine and ride are both smooth and it is steady at 20 MPG. The only thing I would change is the turning radius. It can be a pain but, overall the car is the best I've ever owned.I wish they were still making them.

Favorite Features

Rides and runs smooth, steady MPG

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius

I want a new car!!!!
By luminassuck

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my lumina in October 2008 and I have already had an oil and radiator leak. The gas mileage is horrible, it's a very loud car with no power and it seems every time I go and get my oil changed they tell me another thing wrong with it. The interior is falling apart and on a rainy day the interior fogs up horribly, even with defrost on. I hate my car.

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior lots of room.

Suggested Improvements

Not such a crappy engine.