Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

That's a Lumina?!
By kd0bep

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for nearly ten years and never had any major problems until we happened to get an oil change while at Wal Mart and they managed to drop something in the engine while doing it. When we drove the car from the store it started to make a clinking sound. When we went back they told us to prove it! So we took it to a mechanic who said it would be simply cheaper to replace the engine than to fight over it. Well he ended up putting the engine in wrong and it died out and needed another one. It becomes an even sadder story from there. The car still runs but it just isn't the same. It currently sits at 176,000 miles.

I have one with the 3800 which has a lot of pickup. Most people think the car is pretty lame until you hit the gas and turn up the stereo. The stereo on the car is unbelievable for stock. I also love the quad exhaust and spoiler that just hint at the little secrets this car hides!

I don't think this car needs many improvements. It is a basic car with a little kick. I would buy another Lumina if I could to replace this one but they are aging cars and hard to find under 100,000 miles but if you do find one, buy it while you still can.

3800 LTZ
By Tony

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

This car was my moms for 10 years and I just got it as my first car and what a great car it is. the only problem so far is a hole in a plastic elbow for radiator fluid line but its a fairly easy fix the only thing i don't get is why use plastic for something that's holding pressurized hot liquid ? The stock not supercharged 3.8 kicks on the streets and can spank most stock cars off the line

3.8L Engine !!! Leather seats sun/moon roof

Aluminum rims stink - they oxidize and change size when heated and cooled and due to that they leak! Also 16" rims w/ AMC bolt pattern = Lame. fix = 15" Chevy bolt rims Front wheel drive is boring. give me some Rear Wheel drive !!!

Love my Lumina
By Judith Lloyd

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

My Lumina has been driven by me only and has given me excellent service. My Lumina has 31,550 actual miles and still has the same tires that came with it brand new. I only drive it work and church which are both less than 5 miles from my home.

It is very comfortable, with leather seats which are my preference. Easy to adjust radio, disc with on steering wheel controls.

The only improvement to my car that I would like to have is a two-cup holder. It only has 1. Sorry Chevrolet does not make Luminas any longer. Great car.

Under rated car
By lumina owner

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

This is my fourth Lumina, 2 90's, one 95 and now the 98. They have all been great vehicles, very cheap to up keep as long as you maintain the vehicle properly, they are cheap to buy and find that they are more comfortable than most cars on the road, fuel mileage has been great with all of the vehicles, the interior is spacious but kind of bland but thats why the aftermarket world exists. I really don't like Chevrolet but this model name is the only one I will buy from them, it's too bad they stopped making them in North America. If your buying the car with the intent to fix it up or modify it, it has a lot of parts available in the aftermarket but you do have to search for them.

4 wheel disc brakes, 3.8L engine, factory dual exhaust, dual climate control, power everything, cruise, tachometer, very spacious and comfortable.

Better suspension, better tranny (improved shift points), headlights very hard to view the road unless you upgrade the headlight bulbs with PIAA extreme or gtx bulbs, new location for the battery or the windshield washer bottle.

Fun to drive, Love this car
By Dadwithkids

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LTZ 4dr Sedan

We purchased this car for the handling, horsepower and price. It had 25,000 miles on it at purchase. We've owned it since 1999, with no problems except brakes. With the sport tires this car drives like a sports car. At $200 each for tires, I purchased the cheaper Aquatread tires, don't do it. We finally need a bigger vehicle, and my wife doesn't want to give it up. It has been a great car for two kids, with a big trunk and enough separation in the backseat to keep the kids reasonable distance apart (a little less fighting).

Horsepower and handling. Highway mileage is good

Some cheap GM parts, like visor lock came out early in life