Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Very Reliable
By Josh

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car when it had 141,000 and it now has 156,000 The car is great. The engine and ride are both smooth and it is steady at 20 MPG. The only thing I would change is the turning radius. It can be a pain but, overall the car is the best I've ever owned.I wish they were still making them.

Favorite Features

Rides and runs smooth, steady MPG

Suggested Improvements

Turning radius

Thought GM is always bad
By YM

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I'm a student a got this Lumina for $1500. It has high mileage 180000+ but runs great. A lot of power, very reliable, with reasonable gas mileage. I bought it Sep 2008 used for more than 10 years. Bought for winter and thought that I'll have to leave for parts after that. It still runs great and I decided to keep it, nothing changes except battery.

Favorite Features

Reliability, power, gas mileage, roomy

Suggested Improvements

I don't know why GM not making any such good cars. Put it back in production

Best Car Still on the Road
By Pat

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Ten years and still going. I still get the same miles per gallon as day one (I keep a log), one tune up at 100K, only peformed normal maintanence. The only thing my AC needs to be charged if it's the compressor it's the only thing on the car, other than tires that would not be original. It rides great and if I can fix the AC I hope to be doing this again at 200K miles right now I'm at 116,600.

Favorite Features

Great pick up and passing ability, very reliable. Never worrying about turning my lights on or off or forgetting my keys in the ignition.

Suggested Improvements

There can be no improvements, they discontinued the best car Chevy made.

Great family car
By Farrah

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This just replaced our 98 Cavalier with 112,000 miles. Our 98 Lumina has 48,600 plus miles. Runs smooth and like a champ. Great on gas.

Mega miles and still going strong
By 240000 miles'n'going

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Canadian summers and winters - extreme. AC still running fine; never used a block heater even at -40. Regular maintenance by neighbourhood mechanic. In past 9 years, gas tank, breaks twice, muffler clamp, tires, and recently a ?gasket? that meant the whole engine had to come apart... $850...not bad for 9 years...Honest. Had everything except sunroof...styling now out of date, but was there in '98. It's like my father's car...a living room with plush upholstery. Bars starting to be felt in driver's seat...got a heat/vibrate cushion...now life is great again...

Favorite Features

Soft plushy living room comfort...interior colours [burgundy]...heater, A/C, power, all gadgets still running...quiet...good on gas

Suggested Improvements

Bring this back...I'll take two! If I was writing in 2000, I'd think that more height in driver's seat, lumbar support, station wagon version