1998 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Very Reliable
By Josh on 10/22/09 01:53 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased the car when it had 141,000 and it now has 156,000 The car is great. The engine and ride are both smooth and it is steady at 20 MPG. The only thing I would change is the turning radius. It can be a pain but, overall the car is the best I've ever owned.I wish they were still making them.

Thought GM is always bad
By YM on 04/19/09 10:43 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I'm a student a got this Lumina for $1500. It has high mileage 180000+ but runs great. A lot of power, very reliable, with reasonable gas mileage. I bought it Sep 2008 used for more than 10 years. Bought for winter and thought that I'll have to leave for parts after that. It still runs great and I decided to keep it, nothing changes except battery.

Best Car Still on the Road
By Pat on 09/01/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Ten years and still going. I still get the same miles per gallon as day one (I keep a log), one tune up at 100K, only peformed normal maintanence. The only thing my AC needs to be charged if it's the compressor it's the only thing on the car, other than tires that would not be original. It rides great and if I can fix the AC I hope to be doing this again at 200K miles right now I'm at 116,600.

Great family car
By Farrah on 07/12/08 13:25 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This just replaced our 98 Cavalier with 112,000 miles. Our 98 Lumina has 48,600 plus miles. Runs smooth and like a champ. Great on gas.

Mega miles and still going strong
By 240000 miles'n'going on 11/04/07 16:55 PM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Canadian summers and winters - extreme. AC still running fine; never used a block heater even at -40. Regular maintenance by neighbourhood mechanic. In past 9 years, gas tank, breaks twice, muffler clamp, tires, and recently a ?gasket? that meant the whole engine had to come apart... $850...not bad for 9 years...Honest. Had everything except sunroof...styling now out of date, but was there in '98. It's like my father's car...a living room with plush upholstery. Bars starting to be felt in driver's seat...got a heat/vibrate cushion...now life is great again...

Best cars built
By joe boxer on 06/21/07 19:22 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the best car ever built. My '98 Lumina has 430,000 plus miles on it and I’ve done only routine maintenance repairs on it. The car drives like new yet, the power the 3100 v-6 makes. The passing power the ride. All are awesome yet.

Very reliable automobile.
By Lee Mullican on 03/15/07 09:59 AM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased this car in April of 2001 with 28000 miles and it has been as reliable as one would want. I had the AC compressor replaced at 45000 and sans the typical maintenance this car has been a dream. Pickup is very good, handles bad weather (snow/rain) well and fuel economy is a solid 20MPG. My only issue with this is the steering ratio is really short.

Best car I've ever owned
By KD on 04/13/06 15:38 PM (PDT)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I've always had cars that were poor mechanically. This car has been awesome. I have done nothing to the engine except replace the spark plugs and change the oil. I replaced the gas tank and general maintenance. It's comfortable to drive but now with 146000 miles on it, it's starting to show its age. I don't get much power going up hills anymore. I'm going to be sad to see her go. There won't be another one like it out there as trouble free as this was.

OK car.
By argekay on 02/15/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Bought used with 75,000 miles. Had to replace the turn signal assembly on the steering wheel due to inoperative brake lights. Engine has very noisy metallic sound when started cold. This is a known defect. Noise goes away when engine warms up. Fuel gauge is useless. It is not accurate at all. Cup holder is broken due to flimsy design. That being said, the car is reliable all around. Nice quiet and solid ride. This is the best chevy product I have owned, but my next car will be a Toyota Camry.

A great asset
By blackstone on 12/26/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned Luminas for the past 15 years. They are very reliable. I change the oil every 5000 miles and other than brakes at about 50000 miles, and tires at about the same mileage, there is no maintainence. This car is now 6 years old and never been in the shop. Rock solid reliable and very comfortable (leather interior). Has all the creature features too. GOOD GAS MILEAGE at 26 on road, 23 in town. Gotta love this car. Depreciation like evry other new car is a killer.