1997 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Review: Good Car

1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Good Car
By Craig on

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 72k miles for $1500 dollars. A friend was buying a new F150 and $1500 was all the dealer was going to give him, so he sold it to me for that. I immediately had to do the notorious intake gasket replacement at the popular $800 cost. Besides that it is the best darned $2300 purchase I've ever made. It has 153k miles on it now and still gets close to 30 on the highway and 24 mpg on my 22 mi daily commute to/from work. Good in the snow which is a plus in NE Ohio. I did have to replace the gas tank at 150k, thanks again to the NE Ohio winters. The engine thermostat is impossible to get to for the average garage mechanic...$200 to have the thermostat replaced.

Reliability,gas mileage, and traction is snow. Mine is really stripped down, no cruise, manual windows, AM/FM only so I can't really identify and features.

Body surface rust where paint came off. This is typical with GM cars that I have bought.