1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
good car
By nich617 on 04/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I have had this car since we bought it in '97. The reliability of this car is great. I have only had a few problems with it and they were expected as the car gets more use. It is comfortable and there is a lot of room for a sedan.

a good car once you replace everything!
By cmwegeren on 04/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

the lumina has great pick-up, considering that I live by a busy highway and need excelleration! (good for a v-6). However this only comes after extensive repairs to the new motor, new rotors, new water pump, and 3 new alternator(2)[ I give 1 to the system I later installed at the end after i was finacially able to afford to buy accesories ]

Great Car from point A to point B
By Der5kss on 04/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

If you're looking for a quality car to get you there and back, look no further. The standard Lumina with a 3.1 L engine and decent fuel economy (28 mpg highway) is a reliable, conservative car. It is not sporty and it is not an exciting car to drive, but my 1997 Lumina has never failed me. It gets from one place to another with no problems, the power is decent (but a more powerful 3.4L and 3.8L engine can be found on other cars of this model), and it is comfortable enough for a family of 4 or 5. If you buy a Chevrolet Lumina as a family or business car you will be satisfied with the low-maitenance relationship and you will not regret this investment.

Strong reliable workhorse
By bralwel on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I have 190,000 miles on my 97 Lumina. It has served me well and very reliable during that whole time. I have only replaced a water pump and one alternator. I finally have to rebuild teh motor at 190,000 miles which I am now doing. I expect another 150,000 miles from this sturdy car

Nice car for the money
By Manifesto11 on 03/31/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is a very nice car overall. Very spacious and comfortable. At 110,000 miles, the engine feels strong and sounds healthy, but has some delay when you push on the gas (it goes away if you use premium fuel). I had to replace the head gasket at 75,000 miles and have gone through several problems with the cooling system. Electrical system still works well. Glove box, both sun visors, and center counsole all don't work right because of cheap plastic parts. With this being said, the reliability is much better than any other american car that I've owned. Not quite as fancy as an Accord or Camry, but this car's at a fraction of the price.

Very inexpensive to own!
By gwalker on 03/16/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I can't began to say how reliable this car is. I just got my car back from the mechanic for a regular maintanence check-up and everything checks great. I purchased the car with 26,000 miles in '98 and, today, I'm at 155,000 and still counting. The only thing replaced was the alternator and, of course, brakes. I've been in 3 accidents. Rear ended twice w/ nothing but "stress marks" in the bumper paint. Hit on the side, knocked the rim lose off the axle. No damage to my car, the rim was tighten back on. Very durable! I can't say the same about the other cars that had to be towed! This car takes a licking and keeps on ticking.

LS Review
By paramedic13100 on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This car has taken me through hell and back without once burn. Great build quality, and good performance. I put it through an average of 35,000 miles a year and it just smiled and kept on running. Best car I've had so far. 140,000+ miles and still running strong!

Great Quality, Solid Built GM Product
By bbobb on 01/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Good car. Needs turning circle improvement and better seats with support. Great quality, solid built GM product.

Excellent 97 Lumina
By ldg on 10/31/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used with 32,000 miles on it. It now has 114,000 miles and has been a great car. Only the alternator has been replaced. Normal brake work on Luminas - no surprise. I am very satisfied with this car - very few problems and now has 114,000 miles!

Nice car
By zees on 07/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Intake manifold gaskets went at 66000. Apparantley the Chevy and others now use plastics gaskets for v6 and v8's. Maybe they will get it right in another ten years. Also fuel sendign unit broke, cost $880 at dealer to fix. Only good news is next time Chevy pays for the parts (lifetime warranty on replacement parts) But the car has been more reliable than my previous Accord.