Used 1997 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Awesome car!
By JBaz

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my '97 Lumina, two years ago at 160,000 miles! It still runs today, and I'm at almost 203,000 miles. The only problems I have had was the alternator needing to be replaced. Other than that, my car still has pick-up for having the mileage it does. It's definitely a great car, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seats

Suggested Improvements

Interior improvements. The plastic pieces the visor hooks into falls out of the roof.

Good Value For Money Car
By mercara

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car used in 2000 with about 35K miles. It now has 138K miles and still drives like it will go to 200K at least. As others have pointed out it gives great mileage. Had the alternator replaced but no manifold issues yet. Honestly for the price I paid in 2000, I have got full use out of this car. If it died on me today, I wouldn't feel bad since I got my money's worth out of this car. If you find a low mileage car that has been maintained well, it is a good value.

Favorite Features

Good mileage for a full size car. Mostly trouble free and comfortable to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Pointless since this model is not in production any more.

Love My Car
By Grian

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 97 Lumina for 3 years. It is the most reliable car ever and I have put 30,000 miles on it and all that it has required has been an alternator replaced and EGR ports cleaned and a MIL bulb changed. I would not hesitate to buy another one. These repairs where not costly and easy to repair (and I'm a woman).

Favorite Features

It looks great, it's roomy and comfortable has great acceleration, and for a car this size has pretty good mileage and the alternator did not cost an arm and a leg to replace.

Lumina is OK
By Rob

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've had my Lumina for 4 years and it's been a 6 out of 10 car. In the last 2 years I've had to replace the battery, alternator, starter and water pump. I've heard a lot of bad things about Luminas, mine has been alright. It cruises great down the highway and the gas mileage is decent for such a big car. My family and I feel very safe when we're in it. There was 82800 miles on it when I bought it and now it has 147000 miles. The transmision has some issues lately, I was thinking of replacing old betsy. For what I paid for this car, it has served me well. If you need a car and you come across a Lumina with low miles and a decent price, consider buying it. If not, buy an Impala like I'm going to.

Favorite Features

3.1 engine, gas mileage, and safety ratings.

Suggested Improvements

The seats are too hard in the Lumina and they are not much better in the Impala.

My Chevy
By My Chevy

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I never expected to drive this car to over 194,000 miles, but it's amazing what you can do when you change the oil every 3,000 miles. I've had the fuel pump replaced, 2 fuel injectors replaced, and the alternator replaced. Not bad for this many miles. Never had a problem with starting it up, even in the dead of winter. But the best thing is probably that I can still get up to 33 mpg on the road. And that's with a 6-cylinder 3.1 liter engine!

Favorite Features

The gas mileage is really awesome.

Suggested Improvements

The a/c no longer works, but it would be worth fixing on this car.