Used 1997 Chevrolet Lumina Base Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Love this car
By lrodriguez2

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I still drive my 1997 Lumina and it has 260,000 miles on it. It has been the best car I have ever driven. I have never had any major issues with the car. Car maintenance is key. It is a comfortable ride, still has great pickup and handles nicely on curves. It's roomy without being an overbearingly large car. Wish they still made them.

Favorite Features

Handling, comfort

chevy lumina
By mmeder337

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

the chevy lumina is the best car ever i had mine for 12 years never had any problems with it i wish they still made it i just got the impala i hope it is as good to me as the lumina was

Mine is actually a 3.8 V6
By tracym1974

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina in 2004 and just sold it. I never had a problem with this car. All I had to do to it was regular maintenance, oil change, brakes, plugs, other fluids. Well, I did have to replace the compressor after 6 yrs and a new battery. It drove smooth as silk. I always felt very safe in this car. Initially, I thought the car was nothing to look at but after driving it all these years..the looks didn't matter. I had two wrecks in this car and it bounced back everytime. I wish I didn't sell it. Bought it with 76,000miles on it and sold it with 206,000. It never left me stranded not once. I am looking for another one.

Favorite Features

The power. This car would get up and go. Heavy enough that it always held its ground.

Suggested Improvements

None

Love this car
By jueckstj

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

My lumina is my first and only car so far. After ten years of driving it, I have never been stranded with a car that wouldn't start. I have replaced a lot on the car in the last ten years, but nothing out of the ordinary for a car that is 14 years old. The only complaint I have is that the body has rusted pretty much beyond repair. Although I think the engine could last another 75k, I don't think that the body will (I blame this on western michigan winters). My advice for people in very snowy areas: wash the salt off your car because if I would have, I would still be driving this car in 2015.

Favorite Features

roomy, great stock radio, smooth ride

Suggested Improvements

reenforced wheel wells and strut mounts.

Luminas are the best
By Luminafan

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my chevy lumina from a man in 2010 for $600 with 91124 miles on it and the only thing i have had to replace is the head gasket. I only paid $380 to get that repaired. they should have put cd players in them instead of tape players but i was gonna but a new one anyway.

Favorite Features

the seat control, the a/c, the trunk open button, the roominess

Suggested Improvements

if they were still being made cd players should be installed instead of tape player