Used 1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

my restoration project
By racingnut

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

ive owned my 97 lumina just over a year now it has 194,000 miles on it and still runs great.i drove it 3,000 miles first week round trip from temple texas through tucson arizona to colorado springs then back to temple texas.cost fuel less then 360$.not one issue along the way.i have never owned a car more consumer friendly then chevrolet when it comes to replacing parts.i was able to disassemble my 92 celebrity 4cylinder replace the head gaskets and reassemble in about 4 hours thats pretty good.i give chevrolet a five star reveiw.

Favorite Features

power and riding comfort. ease of replacement on parts.corners great even on loose gravel and ice.

Suggested Improvements

divide the front seats.more cup holders (not in the armrest that was a bad idea.new dashboard design with metallic and wood trim.design the armrests to be more comfortable and durable and not crack.raise the seat height about 1 3/4 in.tighter turn radius,and more power is always good.better to have and not need then need and not have.redesign the seats to look better but maintain the same soft cloth material.

Lousy Lumina
By KenGeisinger

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with very low mileage back in 1999. I also have a 1998 Ford Taurus which is very comparable in specs with about 60,000 more miles. I have had very little trouble with the Taurus but a lot of trouble with this car. I had to replace a intake manifold gasket and a fuel pump. The former I did myself and the latter cost me over $500 about a year ago.

Favorite Features

Its nice looking and nice to drive. It still, at this age and with 91,000 miles, is tight and has no rattles.

Suggested Improvements

Make it possible to replace the battery in less than 3 hours. Make it easier to replace tiny heater hoses that caused a coolant leak that was hard to find.

Great Car
By George

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70k miles and it now has 125k. I am just now getting rid of it because the fuel lines have rusted and it won't pass emissions. It still runs great. It starts immediately on the coldest days. Fuel economy typically 25 mpg. Only problem I ever had with it was to replace an alternator. Had a check engine light on for several years, but until now I could turn it off long enough to get it through emissions. One minor thing I like about this car is it's very comfortable to drive, the arm rest by the driver is at a perfect position. I'm strongly tempted to fix it and keep it even though it'd cost more than the car's worth.

Favorite Features

Reliable, comfortable, spacious, decent fuel economy.

Suggested Improvements

The CD player skips when you go over a bump.

Dependable Family Car
By Thomas

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 126k mi. Dealer had replaced fuel sending unit and ABS sensors as terms of sale. It now has around 150k and it is still as smooth as some of the newer cars. It gets good mileage, my last trip to NJ consumed less than a quarter tank (2hr trip). Handles well in rain and snow. I have ran this car on synthetic oil and platinum plugs since my first tune up.

Favorite Features

Dual climate control, easy to repair/maintain, Seats, roomy, spacious trunk, and safety ratings

Suggested Improvements

Cruise control light on dash, dual climate with two separate fan speed adjustments, on steering wheel cruise controls, and folding rear seats

Cannot Beat This
By Hank

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

For the price I paid for this car, you cannot beat it. I've put well over 230,000 miles on this car since 2000, and it still has plenty of power, excellent on gas. Well better than most new cars today!!!! You just need to know how to take care of your car. For it to last as long as you want it to.

Favorite Features

Fuel economy,Reliability, Performance and interior Design.

Suggested Improvements

none