1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Love this car
By lrodriguez2 on 09/12/12 13:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I still drive my 1997 Lumina and it has 260,000 miles on it. It has been the best car I have ever driven. I have never had any major issues with the car. Car maintenance is key. It is a comfortable ride, still has great pickup and handles nicely on curves. It's roomy without being an overbearingly large car. Wish they still made them.

chevy lumina
By mmeder337 on 08/23/12 18:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

the chevy lumina is the best car ever i had mine for 12 years never had any problems with it i wish they still made it i just got the impala i hope it is as good to me as the lumina was

Mine is actually a 3.8 V6
By tracym1974 on 01/02/12 20:37 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina in 2004 and just sold it. I never had a problem with this car. All I had to do to it was regular maintenance, oil change, brakes, plugs, other fluids. Well, I did have to replace the compressor after 6 yrs and a new battery. It drove smooth as silk. I always felt very safe in this car. Initially, I thought the car was nothing to look at but after driving it all these years..the looks didn't matter. I had two wrecks in this car and it bounced back everytime. I wish I didn't sell it. Bought it with 76,000miles on it and sold it with 206,000. It never left me stranded not once. I am looking for another one.

Love this car
By jueckstj on 05/12/11 09:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

My lumina is my first and only car so far. After ten years of driving it, I have never been stranded with a car that wouldn't start. I have replaced a lot on the car in the last ten years, but nothing out of the ordinary for a car that is 14 years old. The only complaint I have is that the body has rusted pretty much beyond repair. Although I think the engine could last another 75k, I don't think that the body will (I blame this on western michigan winters). My advice for people in very snowy areas: wash the salt off your car because if I would have, I would still be driving this car in 2015.

Luminas are the best
By Luminafan on 04/29/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my chevy lumina from a man in 2010 for $600 with 91124 miles on it and the only thing i have had to replace is the head gasket. I only paid $380 to get that repaired. they should have put cd players in them instead of tape players but i was gonna but a new one anyway.

3.1 gives great milage
By Tom on 10/02/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I drove this as a co car since new. Bought it back from Co. at 140,000 miles Always had it serviced by Curt Warner Chev of Van.,WA. I now change the oil/filters. Took trip to Wisconsin this summer and got great mileage. Avg total trip was 30mpg. Never had problems other than normal battery replacements, radiator flush, fuel pump replaced. (in tank preventative.) Change oil every 3000 miles for sure. Keep good tires, brakes, and alignment. Great car.

Good Car
By Craig on 08/01/09 07:31 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 72k miles for $1500 dollars. A friend was buying a new F150 and $1500 was all the dealer was going to give him, so he sold it to me for that. I immediately had to do the notorious intake gasket replacement at the popular $800 cost. Besides that it is the best darned $2300 purchase I've ever made. It has 153k miles on it now and still gets close to 30 on the highway and 24 mpg on my 22 mi daily commute to/from work. Good in the snow which is a plus in NE Ohio. I did have to replace the gas tank at 150k, thanks again to the NE Ohio winters. The engine thermostat is impossible to get to for the average garage mechanic...$200 to have the thermostat replaced.

Best Car I Ever Owned
By Gracejo on 07/24/09 12:54 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I've ever owned. Seldom needs more than an oil change, batteries and tires. I'ts my only car and I am only driver since 1996. I wish they still made them. I will, most likely, purchase a Chevy Impala if the Lumina ever becomes impractical to retain.

4 dpor Chevrolet Lumina 1997
By sally obrien on 06/17/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Excellent for comfort for trips. Easy to get into and out. Good radio for listening to. Easy to drive, handles well in good weather and bad weather. Accommodates 5 people very comfortably. Electric control for drivers seat, nice to set the seat to your height and comfort. Adjustable steering wheel to your driving comfort.

Best car for the Money Period!
By Clark on 05/22/09 10:26 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Truly a car that will last if you know how to perform routine maintenance. I love this car! At 210,000 I redid the Intake Manifold gasket, water pump, and haven't had any leaks since. The only other problems I have had have been electrical from the wire rotting out. These are simple fixes, just hard to trace where sometimes. I run Valvoline Max Life Full Synthetic oil. In town mileage is okay, highway is better than most cars get today. Add an HHO system and you will get over 35+mpg highway.