1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
my restoration project
By racingnut on 06/24/11 21:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

ive owned my 97 lumina just over a year now it has 194,000 miles on it and still runs great.i drove it 3,000 miles first week round trip from temple texas through tucson arizona to colorado springs then back to temple texas.cost fuel less then 360$.not one issue along the way.i have never owned a car more consumer friendly then chevrolet when it comes to replacing parts.i was able to disassemble my 92 celebrity 4cylinder replace the head gaskets and reassemble in about 4 hours thats pretty good.i give chevrolet a five star reveiw.

Lousy Lumina
By KenGeisinger on 04/14/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with very low mileage back in 1999. I also have a 1998 Ford Taurus which is very comparable in specs with about 60,000 more miles. I have had very little trouble with the Taurus but a lot of trouble with this car. I had to replace a intake manifold gasket and a fuel pump. The former I did myself and the latter cost me over $500 about a year ago.

Great Car
By George on 02/14/10 14:28 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70k miles and it now has 125k. I am just now getting rid of it because the fuel lines have rusted and it won't pass emissions. It still runs great. It starts immediately on the coldest days. Fuel economy typically 25 mpg. Only problem I ever had with it was to replace an alternator. Had a check engine light on for several years, but until now I could turn it off long enough to get it through emissions. One minor thing I like about this car is it's very comfortable to drive, the arm rest by the driver is at a perfect position. I'm strongly tempted to fix it and keep it even though it'd cost more than the car's worth.

Dependable Family Car
By Thomas on 11/01/09 04:25 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 126k mi. Dealer had replaced fuel sending unit and ABS sensors as terms of sale. It now has around 150k and it is still as smooth as some of the newer cars. It gets good mileage, my last trip to NJ consumed less than a quarter tank (2hr trip). Handles well in rain and snow. I have ran this car on synthetic oil and platinum plugs since my first tune up.

Cannot Beat This
By Hank on 03/29/09 19:35 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

For the price I paid for this car, you cannot beat it. I've put well over 230,000 miles on this car since 2000, and it still has plenty of power, excellent on gas. Well better than most new cars today!!!! You just need to know how to take care of your car. For it to last as long as you want it to.

Love My Car
By Grian on 11/06/08 09:58 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned my 97 Lumina for 3 years. It is the most reliable car ever and I have put 30,000 miles on it and all that it has required has been an alternator replaced and EGR ports cleaned and a MIL bulb changed. I would not hesitate to buy another one. These repairs where not costly and easy to repair (and I'm a woman).

My Chevy
By My Chevy on 06/24/08 18:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I never expected to drive this car to over 194,000 miles, but it's amazing what you can do when you change the oil every 3,000 miles. I've had the fuel pump replaced, 2 fuel injectors replaced, and the alternator replaced. Not bad for this many miles. Never had a problem with starting it up, even in the dead of winter. But the best thing is probably that I can still get up to 33 mpg on the road. And that's with a 6-cylinder 3.1 liter engine!

Cheap made vehicle or a Chevy
By Chris on 04/28/08 14:57 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This was the worst vehicle I have ever owned. Spend extra and by foreign. In my opinion GM is more worried about quantity then quality. I have had to replace a headgasket,two ball joints,Wiper engine, Service engine stays on because of the fuel. The only thing good about the 97 Lumina is that GM switched the paint used on the older Lumina's that did not stick.

very disapointed
By very disapointed on 02/23/08 08:51 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Very expsensive car to own. I have had this car just a short time. 121,000 miles when I bought it, and in less than 6mos I have made some very costly repairs (close to $2000) with some repairs labor free because I did some myself. intake gasket, egr valve, catalytic coverter, trans flush new brakes. the check engine light comes on everytime I fix one thing something else sets light on. I really think this is a good example of a modern day disposable car. If I could aford to, I would just throw it away to the junkyard where it belongs. poor engineering altogether. Just a legal lemon, and a piece of junk.

Great reliable car for the money
By Jason on 12/29/07 13:26 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car from first owner at 105,000 miles. Owner had previously replaced alternator and performed regular maintenance. I currently have 160,000 miles on it. This car had never let me down. Gets great mileage for a car this size. Intake manifold gaskets developed the typical leak on the 3.1 engine and I replaced them myself (I am ASE Master auto tech). AC is cold and transmission shifts smoothly.