1997 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Love this car
By lrodriguez2 on 09/12/12 13:58 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I still drive my 1997 Lumina and it has 260,000 miles on it. It has been the best car I have ever driven. I have never had any major issues with the car. Car maintenance is key. It is a comfortable ride, still has great pickup and handles nicely on curves. It's roomy without being an overbearingly large car. Wish they still made them.

chevy lumina
By mmeder337 on 08/23/12 18:46 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

the chevy lumina is the best car ever i had mine for 12 years never had any problems with it i wish they still made it i just got the impala i hope it is as good to me as the lumina was

Mine is actually a 3.8 V6
By tracym1974 on 01/02/12 20:37 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my Lumina in 2004 and just sold it. I never had a problem with this car. All I had to do to it was regular maintenance, oil change, brakes, plugs, other fluids. Well, I did have to replace the compressor after 6 yrs and a new battery. It drove smooth as silk. I always felt very safe in this car. Initially, I thought the car was nothing to look at but after driving it all these years..the looks didn't matter. I had two wrecks in this car and it bounced back everytime. I wish I didn't sell it. Bought it with 76,000miles on it and sold it with 206,000. It never left me stranded not once. I am looking for another one.

my restoration project
By racingnut on 06/24/11 21:52 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

ive owned my 97 lumina just over a year now it has 194,000 miles on it and still runs great.i drove it 3,000 miles first week round trip from temple texas through tucson arizona to colorado springs then back to temple texas.cost fuel less then 360$.not one issue along the way.i have never owned a car more consumer friendly then chevrolet when it comes to replacing parts.i was able to disassemble my 92 celebrity 4cylinder replace the head gaskets and reassemble in about 4 hours thats pretty good.i give chevrolet a five star reveiw.

Love this car
By jueckstj on 05/12/11 09:24 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

My lumina is my first and only car so far. After ten years of driving it, I have never been stranded with a car that wouldn't start. I have replaced a lot on the car in the last ten years, but nothing out of the ordinary for a car that is 14 years old. The only complaint I have is that the body has rusted pretty much beyond repair. Although I think the engine could last another 75k, I don't think that the body will (I blame this on western michigan winters). My advice for people in very snowy areas: wash the salt off your car because if I would have, I would still be driving this car in 2015.

Luminas are the best
By Luminafan on 04/29/10 13:27 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought my chevy lumina from a man in 2010 for $600 with 91124 miles on it and the only thing i have had to replace is the head gasket. I only paid $380 to get that repaired. they should have put cd players in them instead of tape players but i was gonna but a new one anyway.

Lousy Lumina
By KenGeisinger on 04/14/10 09:34 AM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with very low mileage back in 1999. I also have a 1998 Ford Taurus which is very comparable in specs with about 60,000 more miles. I have had very little trouble with the Taurus but a lot of trouble with this car. I had to replace a intake manifold gasket and a fuel pump. The former I did myself and the latter cost me over $500 about a year ago.

Great Car
By George on 02/14/10 14:28 PM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 70k miles and it now has 125k. I am just now getting rid of it because the fuel lines have rusted and it won't pass emissions. It still runs great. It starts immediately on the coldest days. Fuel economy typically 25 mpg. Only problem I ever had with it was to replace an alternator. Had a check engine light on for several years, but until now I could turn it off long enough to get it through emissions. One minor thing I like about this car is it's very comfortable to drive, the arm rest by the driver is at a perfect position. I'm strongly tempted to fix it and keep it even though it'd cost more than the car's worth.

Dependable Family Car
By Thomas on 11/01/09 04:25 AM (PST)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 126k mi. Dealer had replaced fuel sending unit and ABS sensors as terms of sale. It now has around 150k and it is still as smooth as some of the newer cars. It gets good mileage, my last trip to NJ consumed less than a quarter tank (2hr trip). Handles well in rain and snow. I have ran this car on synthetic oil and platinum plugs since my first tune up.

3.1 gives great milage
By Tom on 10/02/09 22:50 PM (PDT)

1997 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I drove this as a co car since new. Bought it back from Co. at 140,000 miles Always had it serviced by Curt Warner Chev of Van.,WA. I now change the oil/filters. Took trip to Wisconsin this summer and got great mileage. Avg total trip was 30mpg. Never had problems other than normal battery replacements, radiator flush, fuel pump replaced. (in tank preventative.) Change oil every 3000 miles for sure. Keep good tires, brakes, and alignment. Great car.