1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Review: Probably saved my life

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Review

Base Sedan (3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic)

Probably saved my life
By Samuel Jordan on

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Hit a car head on @ 70 mph; bashed the right light and the rim was bent. I put a spare on, and drove her another 600 miles back home. The engine still works awesome, but the frame is a bit bent up. The engine on this girl is wonderfully reliable, but problems I had included brakes, A/C, stupid cupholders, and an alternator (it's a Chevy). If you buy from the right person, this car is truly a great machine, hands down. Good mileage, drove cross country several times with her; great handling, good speed. If you buy from some stupid teen or shady dealer, you'll have problems like any other car, I suppose. I have a bit over 100k on it, and it is still going strong, in spite of the accident I had.

I am truly thankful to be alive after that. The cage really protected the engine and me. Loved the handling, reliability in Minnesota winters, pretty easy to work on (everythings has easy access except for plugs and battery - they're a pain), mileage, roominess, thriftiness, good, solid ride.

Brakes stink, seemed like I was working on them too much after about 95,000 miles. The car is hard on the tires, and the AC compressor just stopped working one summer. Coffee drinkers and station flippers will not like the position of the cupholder- right in front of the radio! Paint's cheap.

Are you the author of this review?

Update Your Review