1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Review: It's reliable

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Review

It's reliable
By Stephanie on

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Although I bought a gently used 2004 Camry today, I am sad to say goodbye to my Lumina. It has been an excellent car to me. It's no longer aesthetically pleasing, there's lots of rust, dings, and dents. But it has never failed to start and get me where I was going even in two feet of Ohio snow. During this extensive ownership period, beyond regular maintenance I've only had to replace a water pump, an alternator, and an EGR valve. None of which resulted in a breakdown, just poor performance until it was fixed. Oh, the power steering pump is noisy, but still works fine. I'd recommend this car to anyone as a used vehicle. Still seeing lots of them around. Still strong after 135,000 miles.

Absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. Drove it daily and hard for a decade. Husband will continue to use it for a work car!

That blasted ashtray is in a bad spot, and the rust under the door frame is, well, pretty overwhelming. Minor complaints in an overall great car!