Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Keeps going and going
By Travis Wynn

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

This is the most reliable car I've ever had. Have 100k on it and it still has factory battery, never needed any major repair, well has never needed any repair except for the intake gasket. Good on fuel for its class. GM should consider make more cheap reliable cars like the Lumina.

Great for road trips, lots of room!

Brakes, you have to really labor to stop these cars. And a better built drivers seat.

It really isn't too good to be true
By RJCHudson

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We have done several long trips in our Lumina and it has performed well in all conditions, even out performed some SUV's on the slippery stuff. It has loads of room and good features for the price. After our first accident (being run off the road at 30 mph) we had to replace the intake gasket (probably going anyway )the preformance picked up like you wouldnt believe. I just got rear ended by a Wrangler (me 0 mph them 40 mph) and we have less damage than them, currently waiting to find out what the insurance company wants us to do but we are hoping to be able to keep it

Size, features, reliable, looks, fuel economy, strength, can't find a fault.

Intake gasket, having to rotate the engine to get to the spark plugs.

Nickle and Dimed to Death
By John

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned a 1996 Lumina LS for the last 8yrs. I have replaced the following since purchasing. Water pump, alternator, fuel pump, driver- side power window motor, and ignition assembly. In addition the 3.1 V6 engine has a problem where the Intake manifold gasket fails every 30,000 miles. I have replaced this twice ($1100 each time). This item should be subject to a recall by GM but is not. I highly recommend you avoid this vehicle. You will spend a fortune on repairs.

Styling. Roominess.

3.1 V6 Engine by GM is unreliable.

Nice Car
By ShawnInWA

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Sept. 05', nice clean car good on reliability. Had to replace rotors, brakes, water pump, accelorator sensor soo far...Over all car drives nice and handles great. Bad idea on cup holder position! But it works....Car currently has 155,400 miles.

Big trunk, comfy seats, gets up and goes...good gas mileage

Ashtray keeps coming off. Passengers always hit their knee on the dash where the heat vent is...bad spot!

Probably saved my life
By Samuel Jordan

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Hit a car head on @ 70 mph; bashed the right light and the rim was bent. I put a spare on, and drove her another 600 miles back home. The engine still works awesome, but the frame is a bit bent up. The engine on this girl is wonderfully reliable, but problems I had included brakes, A/C, stupid cupholders, and an alternator (it's a Chevy). If you buy from the right person, this car is truly a great machine, hands down. Good mileage, drove cross country several times with her; great handling, good speed. If you buy from some stupid teen or shady dealer, you'll have problems like any other car, I suppose. I have a bit over 100k on it, and it is still going strong, in spite of the accident I had.

I am truly thankful to be alive after that. The cage really protected the engine and me. Loved the handling, reliability in Minnesota winters, pretty easy to work on (everythings has easy access except for plugs and battery - they're a pain), mileage, roominess, thriftiness, good, solid ride.

Brakes stink, seemed like I was working on them too much after about 95,000 miles. The car is hard on the tires, and the AC compressor just stopped working one summer. Coffee drinkers and station flippers will not like the position of the cupholder- right in front of the radio! Paint's cheap.

• SUV