Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Nice Whip
By major figgaz

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought mine couple of months ago it is dark green it has good looking rims. I just gotta tune it up and get the intake manifold gasket fixed. The interior was left really dirty but I cleaned it up as much as i can but there is still stains in some places. I really like the car its prob the only car in Chevy that's reliable.

Favorite Features

V6 sound, style, cruise comfort, luxury

Suggested Improvements

make better gaskets cause they are the common problems in luminas

I loved my Lumina
By bndr37

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Lumina. It was my first car, and it just recently died at a whopping total of 308,000 miles on it. I didn't have to put any work into it while I owned it except the usual oil change and whatnot. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I blew a head gasket and it would have cost me more to fix it than the car was worth, since I only paid $600 for it.

Favorite Features

I loved the smooth ride it gave and the fact that it had power windows and power locks.

Suggested Improvements

Another audio option such as CD player or Tape player. I only had a radio, so I couldn't hook up my iPod or play CD's at all. Remote locks would have been nice too.

Great bang for the buck
By dax1dax1

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Have had one for ten years. Fast, good gas, reliable overall. 188,867 miles - and going. Items replaced - Water pump, Throttle sensor, rear wheel hub & anti-lock brake sensor, front linkage (rough roads.) 2 or three window motors (smoker though - window always going up and down.) Handles well, better than it feels. LS model - pretty sporty for a sedan. I drive aggresively, but the tires wear well.

Favorite Features

Gas, power, steering, headlights.

Suggested Improvements

Better seat material. Better window motors

Value Consumers Dream
By Harrell

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

It amazes me when I see these below $3,000 and below 80,000 miles. I have had my Lumina for 7 years, used it all through college and after graduation. I put in oil every 3000 and gas when it goes down, and have not spent a dollar above that. Its in great shape, nothing overly-appealing about the car, but its reliable. Would highly reccomend these models, though I have heard anything above a 2000 has had some issues with quality. Perfect for a parent to buy for student.

Suggested Improvements

It is what it is. Reliable, but has very little bells and whistles. One cupholder and usually an am/fm with cassette deck.

Absolute Lemon
By Al S

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the worst car experience ever. We bought this car which was a cream puff. Low original miles on what was verified a local use car or "grocery getter" The car had about 35000 miles and looked and sounded smooth as silk. The first week of our owning the car showed what a disaster this car was. In that time we spent $900 for wheel bearing, directional switch, ignition lock cylinder failure. Two years later, intake manifold gasket failure ($400). That led to the cam shaft bearing failure which meant new engine ($3000). Now after all said and done, a P1870 transmission component slip (possible new trans?) Just one bad design after another! Goodbye American cars!