1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Nickle and Dimed to Death
By John on 01/09/06 11:17 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned a 1996 Lumina LS for the last 8yrs. I have replaced the following since purchasing. Water pump, alternator, fuel pump, driver- side power window motor, and ignition assembly. In addition the 3.1 V6 engine has a problem where the Intake manifold gasket fails every 30,000 miles. I have replaced this twice ($1100 each time). This item should be subject to a recall by GM but is not. I highly recommend you avoid this vehicle. You will spend a fortune on repairs.

Nice Car
By ShawnInWA on 11/16/05 03:09 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Sept. 05', nice clean car good on reliability. Had to replace rotors, brakes, water pump, accelorator sensor soo far...Over all car drives nice and handles great. Bad idea on cup holder position! But it works....Car currently has 155,400 miles.

Probably saved my life
By Samuel Jordan on 08/16/05 19:59 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Hit a car head on @ 70 mph; bashed the right light and the rim was bent. I put a spare on, and drove her another 600 miles back home. The engine still works awesome, but the frame is a bit bent up. The engine on this girl is wonderfully reliable, but problems I had included brakes, A/C, stupid cupholders, and an alternator (it's a Chevy). If you buy from the right person, this car is truly a great machine, hands down. Good mileage, drove cross country several times with her; great handling, good speed. If you buy from some stupid teen or shady dealer, you'll have problems like any other car, I suppose. I have a bit over 100k on it, and it is still going strong, in spite of the accident I had.

Love this car!
By MakeMineGM on 05/04/05 22:13 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I bought this car to drive in the winter. It had 106K on it. Look around - these cars are everywhere! It gets good mileage (about 25 mpg on my last trip traveling an average of 75 mph). It's not a sports car but the suspension is firm enough for a full size sedan. Problems: The A/C is not working, I have a bad sensor for the ABS and the front seat is worn out (heavy previous owner?) - nothing major. Insurance Institute for Highway Safety gives this car the highest rating in the offset crash test. How could I go wrong for $1550?

My Lumina
By Raye on 04/12/05 15:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

A mercedes hit me from behind going 45 miles per hour. My Lumina stood up against it fabulously. It is a nice looking car with plenty of room for the whole family. I love it!

Nice Ride but Look Out!
By Central PA on 04/01/05 21:00 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought the car with 51,000 miles on it. It is an inexpensive mid-size car great for trips; however, I am leary on taking it anywhere too far! Had it for 3 months and replaced oil crancase sensor (didn't even drive it for 1500 miles). At 62,000 miles, the transmission went out without warning costing me $2800. Engine very noisy: a lot of lifter tap. Would hesitate on purchasing again!

GREAT CAR-COMFORTABLE
By DEBORAHTHOMAS on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT THING WHEN I BOUGHT THIS CAR.

Smart Buy
By KBCE on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Purchased @ $134,000.... I'm 30 miles from 150K. I put in New alternator, got rid of air box, got an alignment, (4 wheel), add ed tach & vacume gauges. Plan on dumping SunRoof, wheels & keyless. This car is worth that investment in all manner of speaking. I'm 1/2 a Century old & have piloted a few machines. This unit gets 35 MPH with me alone in it with gear, @ NOT over 70 mph! 50 to 55 on flat is closer 2 40MPH. Only a fool would pass-up a car this Safe & Cost effictive. I paid $2500. My next unit will B another one of these but not newer then 2001. (Read all U can on these & U'll C where the lines of quality start & stop).

good all around car
By maytagman on 03/07/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

ok for a person thats not six feet tall

A good side and a bad side
By ljouvdee on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

The car was bought brand new. It is very spacious and I absolutely love the sound system. The best thing about it is that it can really take a hit without doing hardly any damage at all. Unfortunately there are many things wrong with it. I have had to get the brakes repaired many times and had to get my engine re-built before it even hit 80,000 miles. Recently I had to get a new alternator at 90,000 miles. Too many repairs, but maybe I just have bad luck.