1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Fantastic Buy For $1000
By jamescl on 10/30/12 22:23 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

An amazing purchase, got the car not too long ago and ever since has been driving down the road perfectly. Very smooth riding, gear changing and steady braking and acceleration. Everything on the car works except for AC/cool air but since it's soon to be winter, shouldn't be too much of a problem at all for some time. The interior I have seen much better on cars but for what it is, it's not bad at all. Exterior design I just love. The overall build quality seems to be pretty solid beside a few things I can name like seatbelt buckles can be pretty difficult at times but still usable, just fiddle with them for a few seconds and they're good to go. Overall a very good car, recommend!

Incredible Car
By Jeff on 10/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Bought it at 90,000 miles in Jan 2003 and have 317,000 miles on it now. Have replaced transmission, water pump and air conditioner in last seven years. Purchase price was $4000 and repairs have come to $3800. A fantastic investment for 227,000 miles of transportation.

Most Reliable Car We've Ever Owned
By Chaya on 06/05/10 12:27 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for a few years now. We purchased it used, of course. It has broke down a few times, but has NEVER stopped running. Nothing stops this car! It is definitely worth paying the money to keep it up and have for its lifetime. The gas mileage doesn't beat our Dodge Neon, but we would never sell our Chevy Lumina. When it gets cold our other cars stall and sometimes won't even start. The Lumina starts every time we crank it as long as it has gas. Seems like Chevy has been doing a good job. Their cars seem to last more years than most other names even when you have gotten caught up with other things letting them sit for a while. I once had a Chevy Beretta. Also a Great car!

Reliable
By brucep on 10/26/09 15:30 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Original Owner. Roadworthy, reliable, midsize sedan. Low mileage for its age (133,700). Good tires and cold A/C. Graphite exterior and interior. Matching color original Alloy wheels.

should I should I not
By winnie on 07/22/09 14:32 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I use to love my car because it had alot of comfort that I had not had before. I am not able to do alot of the maintenance that older cars require and I thought about getting a new one.

Good Car
By Rickster on 05/03/09 17:25 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is decent. I bought this car at around 92k, and now i am at 98k. The car has a nice, roomy interior with an okay exterior. The brakes are mushy and take time to get used too. The car is weak going up hills, but who cares when your getting awesome gas mileage. Despite the mushy brakes and weak power, this car is VERY reliable.

Nice Whip
By major figgaz on 03/16/09 16:51 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought mine couple of months ago it is dark green it has good looking rims. I just gotta tune it up and get the intake manifold gasket fixed. The interior was left really dirty but I cleaned it up as much as i can but there is still stains in some places. I really like the car its prob the only car in Chevy that's reliable.

I loved my Lumina
By bndr37 on 02/07/09 10:52 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Lumina. It was my first car, and it just recently died at a whopping total of 308,000 miles on it. I didn't have to put any work into it while I owned it except the usual oil change and whatnot. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I blew a head gasket and it would have cost me more to fix it than the car was worth, since I only paid $600 for it.

It's reliable
By Stephanie on 06/01/08 16:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Although I bought a gently used 2004 Camry today, I am sad to say goodbye to my Lumina. It has been an excellent car to me. It's no longer aesthetically pleasing, there's lots of rust, dings, and dents. But it has never failed to start and get me where I was going even in two feet of Ohio snow. During this extensive ownership period, beyond regular maintenance I've only had to replace a water pump, an alternator, and an EGR valve. None of which resulted in a breakdown, just poor performance until it was fixed. Oh, the power steering pump is noisy, but still works fine. I'd recommend this car to anyone as a used vehicle. Still seeing lots of them around. Still strong after 135,000 miles.

Lumina Solid Performer at a Nice Price
By LuvMyLumina on 04/04/08 17:14 PM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased this 1996 Lumina used in 1998. Best car purchase ever! The Lumina is a smooth riding, nicely equipped vehicle that didn't break the bank. I only wish Chevy still manufactured it as I would love to purchase another one. This vehicle has been reliable and durable even with being parked outside in the coldest of Midwest winters and the elements that come along with them. The only drawback is the small area of rust on the driver side rear quarter panel. This vehicle still looks good and performs well even though it hasn't been garaged for several years. Chevy definitely got it right and would do well to bring this model back into it's lineup.