1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 3.1L V6 4-speed Automatic Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

1996 Lumina Consumer Reviews

Date Most Helpful Highest Rating Lowest Rating
Fantastic Buy For $1000
By jamescl

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

An amazing purchase, got the car not too long ago and ever since has been driving down the road perfectly. Very smooth riding, gear changing and steady braking and acceleration. Everything on the car works except for AC/cool air but since it's soon to be winter, shouldn't be too much of a problem at all for some time. The interior I have seen much better on cars but for what it is, it's not bad at all. Exterior design I just love. The overall build quality seems to be pretty solid beside a few things I can name like seatbelt buckles can be pretty difficult at times but still usable, just fiddle with them for a few seconds and they're good to go. Overall a very good car, recommend!

Favorite Features

The seats are more comfortable then they may appear, the steering is fantastic and I love the front design of the car, that gradual slope of the hood.

Suggested Improvements

-Don't put the cup holder directly in front of the radio next time, had to buy one that sits on the elevated middle floorboard. Not too big of a deal but eh. -Have the steering wheel adjust to go even higher up and lock for those tall people. (like me but I manage, I would only recommend the car to people height wise that are 5'10 or under for a more convenient sitting position)

Incredible Car
By Jeff

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Bought it at 90,000 miles in Jan 2003 and have 317,000 miles on it now. Have replaced transmission, water pump and air conditioner in last seven years. Purchase price was $4000 and repairs have come to $3800. A fantastic investment for 227,000 miles of transportation.

Favorite Features

Timeless appearance. Body shines and appears like a new car. 24 -27 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are a bit uncomfortable after trips over 3 hours.

Most Reliable Car We've Ever Owned
By Chaya

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for a few years now. We purchased it used, of course. It has broke down a few times, but has NEVER stopped running. Nothing stops this car! It is definitely worth paying the money to keep it up and have for its lifetime. The gas mileage doesn't beat our Dodge Neon, but we would never sell our Chevy Lumina. When it gets cold our other cars stall and sometimes won't even start. The Lumina starts every time we crank it as long as it has gas. Seems like Chevy has been doing a good job. Their cars seem to last more years than most other names even when you have gotten caught up with other things letting them sit for a while. I once had a Chevy Beretta. Also a Great car!

Favorite Features

The way the seats go forward and back, interior roominess, doors have place on the bottom to keep things, easy to drive, picks up speed beautifully like my grandpa's car used to, very comfortable driver's seating

Suggested Improvements

update radio, cd player and tape deck. just has a tape deck Better paint job (although ours doesn't yet show any rust) Better sturdy feel when putting your foot on the brake. When first driving the car it is kinda scary because it doesn't feel like the car is going to stop.

Reliable
By brucep

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Original Owner. Roadworthy, reliable, midsize sedan. Low mileage for its age (133,700). Good tires and cold A/C. Graphite exterior and interior. Matching color original Alloy wheels.

Favorite Features

Reliability and low maintenance costs.

Suggested Improvements

None

should I should I not
By winnie

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I use to love my car because it had alot of comfort that I had not had before. I am not able to do alot of the maintenance that older cars require and I thought about getting a new one.

Favorite Features

I would have to refer back to when purchased. It was the fact I had a/c, now I don't have a favorite feature.

Suggested Improvements

A/C needs repaired and passenger side front end replaced

Good Car
By Rickster

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car is decent. I bought this car at around 92k, and now i am at 98k. The car has a nice, roomy interior with an okay exterior. The brakes are mushy and take time to get used too. The car is weak going up hills, but who cares when your getting awesome gas mileage. Despite the mushy brakes and weak power, this car is VERY reliable.

Favorite Features

gas mileage, reliability, roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

Much improved Brakes, better design ( int and ext), stronger engine and stronger tranny

Nice Whip
By major figgaz

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought mine couple of months ago it is dark green it has good looking rims. I just gotta tune it up and get the intake manifold gasket fixed. The interior was left really dirty but I cleaned it up as much as i can but there is still stains in some places. I really like the car its prob the only car in Chevy that's reliable.

Favorite Features

V6 sound, style, cruise comfort, luxury

Suggested Improvements

make better gaskets cause they are the common problems in luminas

I loved my Lumina
By bndr37

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I absolutely loved my Lumina. It was my first car, and it just recently died at a whopping total of 308,000 miles on it. I didn't have to put any work into it while I owned it except the usual oil change and whatnot. The only reason I didn't keep it was because I blew a head gasket and it would have cost me more to fix it than the car was worth, since I only paid $600 for it.

Favorite Features

I loved the smooth ride it gave and the fact that it had power windows and power locks.

Suggested Improvements

Another audio option such as CD player or Tape player. I only had a radio, so I couldn't hook up my iPod or play CD's at all. Remote locks would have been nice too.

It's reliable
By Stephanie

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Although I bought a gently used 2004 Camry today, I am sad to say goodbye to my Lumina. It has been an excellent car to me. It's no longer aesthetically pleasing, there's lots of rust, dings, and dents. But it has never failed to start and get me where I was going even in two feet of Ohio snow. During this extensive ownership period, beyond regular maintenance I've only had to replace a water pump, an alternator, and an EGR valve. None of which resulted in a breakdown, just poor performance until it was fixed. Oh, the power steering pump is noisy, but still works fine. I'd recommend this car to anyone as a used vehicle. Still seeing lots of them around. Still strong after 135,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Absolutely the most reliable car I've ever owned. Drove it daily and hard for a decade. Husband will continue to use it for a work car!

Suggested Improvements

That blasted ashtray is in a bad spot, and the rust under the door frame is, well, pretty overwhelming. Minor complaints in an overall great car!

Lumina Solid Performer at a Nice Price
By LuvMyLumina

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Purchased this 1996 Lumina used in 1998. Best car purchase ever! The Lumina is a smooth riding, nicely equipped vehicle that didn't break the bank. I only wish Chevy still manufactured it as I would love to purchase another one. This vehicle has been reliable and durable even with being parked outside in the coldest of Midwest winters and the elements that come along with them. The only drawback is the small area of rust on the driver side rear quarter panel. This vehicle still looks good and performs well even though it hasn't been garaged for several years. Chevy definitely got it right and would do well to bring this model back into it's lineup.

Favorite Features

Roomy interior, reliability and reasonable price.

Suggested Improvements

None, except that I would like to see it back in production.