Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Fantastic Buy For $1000
By jamescl

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

An amazing purchase, got the car not too long ago and ever since has been driving down the road perfectly. Very smooth riding, gear changing and steady braking and acceleration. Everything on the car works except for AC/cool air but since it's soon to be winter, shouldn't be too much of a problem at all for some time. The interior I have seen much better on cars but for what it is, it's not bad at all. Exterior design I just love. The overall build quality seems to be pretty solid beside a few things I can name like seatbelt buckles can be pretty difficult at times but still usable, just fiddle with them for a few seconds and they're good to go. Overall a very good car, recommend!

Favorite Features

The seats are more comfortable then they may appear, the steering is fantastic and I love the front design of the car, that gradual slope of the hood.

Suggested Improvements

-Don't put the cup holder directly in front of the radio next time, had to buy one that sits on the elevated middle floorboard. Not too big of a deal but eh. -Have the steering wheel adjust to go even higher up and lock for those tall people. (like me but I manage, I would only recommend the car to people height wise that are 5'10 or under for a more convenient sitting position)

Incredible Car
By Jeff

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

Most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Bought it at 90,000 miles in Jan 2003 and have 317,000 miles on it now. Have replaced transmission, water pump and air conditioner in last seven years. Purchase price was $4000 and repairs have come to $3800. A fantastic investment for 227,000 miles of transportation.

Favorite Features

Timeless appearance. Body shines and appears like a new car. 24 -27 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Seats are a bit uncomfortable after trips over 3 hours.

Most Reliable Car We've Ever Owned
By Chaya

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for a few years now. We purchased it used, of course. It has broke down a few times, but has NEVER stopped running. Nothing stops this car! It is definitely worth paying the money to keep it up and have for its lifetime. The gas mileage doesn't beat our Dodge Neon, but we would never sell our Chevy Lumina. When it gets cold our other cars stall and sometimes won't even start. The Lumina starts every time we crank it as long as it has gas. Seems like Chevy has been doing a good job. Their cars seem to last more years than most other names even when you have gotten caught up with other things letting them sit for a while. I once had a Chevy Beretta. Also a Great car!

Favorite Features

The way the seats go forward and back, interior roominess, doors have place on the bottom to keep things, easy to drive, picks up speed beautifully like my grandpa's car used to, very comfortable driver's seating

Suggested Improvements

update radio, cd player and tape deck. just has a tape deck Better paint job (although ours doesn't yet show any rust) Better sturdy feel when putting your foot on the brake. When first driving the car it is kinda scary because it doesn't feel like the car is going to stop.

Terrible car
By Peace0072

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Only had this car for 8 months and bought it with only 118,000 on it. It now only has 134,000. I replaced radiator, head gaskets, water pump, thermostat and it is completely dead and no one knows whats going on in with it. I am very disappointed and would not recommend anyone buying one.

let go driveing
By jj

1996 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Very good car paid only 2500 had it for 2 years no work done to the hard put about 45,000 miles on the cars since I had it. Only thing I have ever done is change oil. Need a car with out a big repair this is the one for you.

Suggested Improvements

it could use a little more power v8 would have been nice.