1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:
Terrible car
By Peace0072 on 01/19/10 10:51 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Only had this car for 8 months and bought it with only 118,000 on it. It now only has 134,000. I replaced radiator, head gaskets, water pump, thermostat and it is completely dead and no one knows whats going on in with it. I am very disappointed and would not recommend anyone buying one.

let go driveing
By jj on 12/07/09 10:27 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Very good car paid only 2500 had it for 2 years no work done to the hard put about 45,000 miles on the cars since I had it. Only thing I have ever done is change oil. Need a car with out a big repair this is the one for you.

**THE AMERICAN POWER**
By LUMILORIAN on 06/11/09 06:35 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This car is great, love the 16 inch tires and rims, it's roomy, v6 bullet proof engine, 6 passenger seating, power Windows, and power locks, its very useful you can put a lot of things on it, I traveled far away and never put me off the road, regular maintenance, cheap to have, very quiet car, its not heavy so you can make it faster with additional modifications.

very reliable
By S BAKER on 04/13/09 06:15 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in feb 1996. Still own the car and still driving. It now has 211,100 miles. The only problems have been minor until last year. We had to get a rebuilt transmission installed. Love this car and will keep until it no longer can be fixed. Purchased a Pontiac Bonneville in 2002 because of on the interstate driving, but I still drive the lumina from time to time to work. As a matter of fact I drove it to work today. This is a 75 mile trip. Very reliable car and was a great price.

Great bang for the buck
By dax1dax1 on 11/21/08 22:17 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

Have had one for ten years. Fast, good gas, reliable overall. 188,867 miles - and going. Items replaced - Water pump, Throttle sensor, rear wheel hub & anti-lock brake sensor, front linkage (rough roads.) 2 or three window motors (smoker though - window always going up and down.) Handles well, better than it feels. LS model - pretty sporty for a sedan. I drive aggresively, but the tires wear well.

Value Consumers Dream
By Harrell on 11/07/08 14:21 PM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

It amazes me when I see these below $3,000 and below 80,000 miles. I have had my Lumina for 7 years, used it all through college and after graduation. I put in oil every 3000 and gas when it goes down, and have not spent a dollar above that. Its in great shape, nothing overly-appealing about the car, but its reliable. Would highly reccomend these models, though I have heard anything above a 2000 has had some issues with quality. Perfect for a parent to buy for student.

Absolute Lemon
By Al S on 09/22/08 11:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

This has got to be the worst car experience ever. We bought this car which was a cream puff. Low original miles on what was verified a local use car or "grocery getter" The car had about 35000 miles and looked and sounded smooth as silk. The first week of our owning the car showed what a disaster this car was. In that time we spent $900 for wheel bearing, directional switch, ignition lock cylinder failure. Two years later, intake manifold gasket failure ($400). That led to the cam shaft bearing failure which meant new engine ($3000). Now after all said and done, a P1870 transmission component slip (possible new trans?) Just one bad design after another! Goodbye American cars!

Nickle and Dimed to Death
By John on 01/09/06 11:17 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I have owned a 1996 Lumina LS for the last 8yrs. I have replaced the following since purchasing. Water pump, alternator, fuel pump, driver- side power window motor, and ignition assembly. In addition the 3.1 V6 engine has a problem where the Intake manifold gasket fails every 30,000 miles. I have replaced this twice ($1100 each time). This item should be subject to a recall by GM but is not. I highly recommend you avoid this vehicle. You will spend a fortune on repairs.

Nice Car
By ShawnInWA on 11/16/05 03:09 AM (PST)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in Sept. 05', nice clean car good on reliability. Had to replace rotors, brakes, water pump, accelorator sensor soo far...Over all car drives nice and handles great. Bad idea on cup holder position! But it works....Car currently has 155,400 miles.

GREAT CAR-COMFORTABLE
By DEBORAHTHOMAS on 08/07/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I THINK I MADE THE RIGHT THING WHEN I BOUGHT THIS CAR.