Used 1996 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1996 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

Oldie but goodie
By MacBob

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Bought car in 2015 with only 68k original miles. Automatic, power steering/doors, and a/c. Solid 6cyl 3.1engine although is noisy at startup until warms up. Found out is normal for this motor. Comfortable car and good on gas. Smooth on highway. One problem area is the 3.1 engine lower intake manifold gasgets, they tend to wear out quickly. Had mine changed and used stronger gaskets..problem gone. Original stereo not bad, decent sound. Nice cloth interior, not fancy, but looks good. Overall, good transportation car that is dependable.

Oldie but a goodie!!!
By Danny

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since 2010, I bought it with 38,000 miles on it - almost brand newish. As of now it has 92,400 miles and she's running great still, minor problems like the alternator, but in a 20 year old car, some things will go. But my baby runs great and never fails me. Oh and since I received the car in 2010, it's been running on the same battery for over 5 years!!!! That's right, over 5.

Fantastic Buy For $1000
By jamescl

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

An amazing purchase, got the car not too long ago and ever since has been driving down the road perfectly. Very smooth riding, gear changing and steady braking and acceleration. Everything on the car works except for AC/cool air but since it's soon to be winter, shouldn't be too much of a problem at all for some time. The interior I have seen much better on cars but for what it is, it's not bad at all. Exterior design I just love. The overall build quality seems to be pretty solid beside a few things I can name like seatbelt buckles can be pretty difficult at times but still usable, just fiddle with them for a few seconds and they're good to go. Overall a very good car, recommend!

The seats are more comfortable then they may appear, the steering is fantastic and I love the front design of the car, that gradual slope of the hood.

-Don't put the cup holder directly in front of the radio next time, had to buy one that sits on the elevated middle floorboard. Not too big of a deal but eh. -Have the steering wheel adjust to go even higher up and lock for those tall people. (like me but I manage, I would only recommend the car to people height wise that are 5'10 or under for a more convenient sitting position)

Incredible Car
By Jeff

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Most reliable vehicle I have ever had. Bought it at 90,000 miles in Jan 2003 and have 317,000 miles on it now. Have replaced transmission, water pump and air conditioner in last seven years. Purchase price was $4000 and repairs have come to $3800. A fantastic investment for 227,000 miles of transportation.

Timeless appearance. Body shines and appears like a new car. 24 -27 mpg.

Seats are a bit uncomfortable after trips over 3 hours.

Most Reliable Car We've Ever Owned
By Chaya

1996 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

We have had this car for a few years now. We purchased it used, of course. It has broke down a few times, but has NEVER stopped running. Nothing stops this car! It is definitely worth paying the money to keep it up and have for its lifetime. The gas mileage doesn't beat our Dodge Neon, but we would never sell our Chevy Lumina. When it gets cold our other cars stall and sometimes won't even start. The Lumina starts every time we crank it as long as it has gas. Seems like Chevy has been doing a good job. Their cars seem to last more years than most other names even when you have gotten caught up with other things letting them sit for a while. I once had a Chevy Beretta. Also a Great car!

The way the seats go forward and back, interior roominess, doors have place on the bottom to keep things, easy to drive, picks up speed beautifully like my grandpa's car used to, very comfortable driver's seating

update radio, cd player and tape deck. just has a tape deck Better paint job (although ours doesn't yet show any rust) Better sturdy feel when putting your foot on the brake. When first driving the car it is kinda scary because it doesn't feel like the car is going to stop.

• SUV