Used 1995 Chevrolet Lumina Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Chevrolet Lumina - Consumer Reviews

1995 Chevrolet Lumina

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

3.1 and Intake Fun
By poolboy

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

70,000 miles and the Intake Manifold fails. I work in the automotive aftermarket. Now that I have had this issue, I can't hear enough about what a piece of junk this 3.1 is. Mechanics said they see this problem all the time with the 3.1. Most leaks leak 'out'. Mine leaked 'in'. A gallon of antifreeze in a crank case is never a good thing. Loved the car, hate the engine. You would have thought GM would have said something about the chronic problem. A new manifold isn't that much to replace....a new engine is.

Favorite Features

Styling

Suggested Improvements

The car has since gone away, now I understand why, not that the Malibu is any better.

a boring car
By Tombennett

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

bought for 6 grand with only 27k at 5 yrs old. good power from reliable engine, nice styling, back seat is huge, but at expense of front room. I had to replace rotors, and brakes are not the best in general. No other repairs in 3+ years. Handles like a beached whale, though. If the seats were not so mushy, and the interior not so cheap plastic-ey, I would like it a lot better. But, with a wax job, and those alloy wheels, it looks damn sharp in the driveway. And, with the money i saved driving boring cars like this, I live in a half million dollar house. Not so bad for a school teacher

Favorite Features

The engine is powerful and makes a really cool growl when you hit the gas. I personally like the ex. styling. The alloy wheels are very sharp too. Backseat is big enough to play touch football.

Suggested Improvements

If the seats were not so mushy, I'd actually be pretty happy. The dashboard is pitifully cheap plastic. And no rear defroster? isn't there a law about that?

Black 3.4 l
By Black 3.4

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

The 3.4 spun a rod bearing at 50,000. Ever since I have a 'tack' noise in the upper end of the motor. Otherwise it has been a great car to own/drive.

Favorite Features

Very peppy, ride is above acceptable.

Suggested Improvements

Bring the car back and put the 3.8 in it.

Problems keep appearing...
By KingTofu

1995 Chevrolet Lumina 4dr Sedan

Well, I've changed my mind on this vehicle. I'm now at 140,000 miles and I've had to replace another fuel injector which cost another $300. The mechanic said that the 4 other injectors will probably short out in a year or so. Great. Also, I just had to pay $150 to get my left turn signal fixed. I havn't been impressed with the build quality. Cheap materials are used throughout the whole car. I can't recomend this vehicle, I'm getting rid of it as soon as I can.

Favorite Features

The torquey engine puts out some nice low end power. Lots of room. Nice exterior styling, but not the best ever as I seem to have said in my earlier review.

Suggested Improvements

The seats need neck support. Increase the quality of the interior materials because they're extremely cheap. Needs standard anti-lock brakes. Definately needs better fuel economy.

Lumina LS
By Dawn E

1995 Chevrolet Lumina LS 4dr Sedan

I bought the car with 75000 miles. At 82000 miles, the transmission went out. At 90000, the head gasket went out. It warped my heads due to the block being iron and the heads being aluminum. I felt kinda bad for those people who had the 3.4L engine; those head gasket kits were NATIONALLY BACK ORDERED. Must have been a very bad winter on a not-so-good engine. Now, at 93000, I noticed transmission fluid leaking. It bothers me that I still owe more than it's worth and that I've put over $1300 into it the two years I've owned it. If I were you, I wouldn't buy one.

Favorite Features

Good power - V6 Gas mileage ok Good speakers

Suggested Improvements

Engine Transmission More comfy seats Dash is separating and I don't know why.